Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-07, 12:28 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Default GeForce 6150 - no DVI-output but VGA!!

You've still not attached an nvidia-bug-report.log that captures the problem, so I can't comment on why it is not working without additional options.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 12:54 PM   #14
heino

What do you mean?
I attached my log to my mail this morning 08-06-07, 03:59 PM,
you need something different?

PS last night - it's Europe...
heino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 12:56 PM   #15
heino

And the last one @ 08-06-07, 06:34 PM
What am I missing?
Old 08-07-07, 01:01 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

You stated that the only way to get this working as you prefer is by setting ConnectedMonitor or UseDisplayDevice. All of the bug reports that you've attached include those options, and I assume are therefore working as you desire. I can't comment on a problem that isn't captured in your bug reports.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 03:12 PM   #17
heino

Hi Lonni,
I think I'm getting you point now. You need a logfile with the failure active.

But now I fear I have to beg your pardon.
I'm not able to give you any bug-log where the option is not set.
Why?
It works now - even without setting these extra option.

I tried to go back to the further state, I re-installed the old driver - did everything but I'm not able to reproduce thestatus anymore.

The old driver is not working, that's true - neither with nor without the option "UseDisplayDevice..."

As soon as I re-install the latest version, then it's working fine - even with or without the option "UseDisplayDevice..."
I don't know how to come back to the former status, maybe any other file has been changed during the setup - I really don't know.

The only thing I know - it did not work before because otherwise I wouldn't have spent hours for that...

At least my system works fine now and the only thing left is to say "thanks for your patience" and to ask for your pardon for my impatience.

Regards

Heino.
Old 08-07-07, 06:03 PM   #18
tmicallef

I can testify that my Asus P1-AH2 did the same thing. Luckily for me my monitors have dual inputs. I had installed SUSE 9.3 and after remembering reviews on Newegg, I connected both outputs. Many people have complained of no video output and returned the hardware. I think that the forums at ASUS have similar complaints.

Once I had a working display, I installed the latest Nvidia drivers, and both outputs started working. I then could display dual monitor outputs at 1920x1200. After I enabled either output, I was able to go back and disable the DVI output. The system is now running FC7, and had no issues during the install also.

I suspect that the hardware is the issue, not the driver.

This is my only GeForce 6150 system, but it seems to be common across this chipset based on user complaints on Newegg and ASUS.
tmicallef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-07, 05:23 PM   #19
heino

Hi tmicallef,
thanks for your reply - it makes me at least not looking like an idiot ;-)
Good to hear that I'm not the only one with that experience although it's a nightmare to go through that...
The more I'm sorry not to have the former logfiles available.
However, supposed it's a hardware bug. How should such a hardware-bug look like?
It worked in Windows from the first minute and it did not in Linux.
As soon as I applied the "Options" - it worked in Linux too. This means for me, someone could include a piece of code into this dammned driver so that it would work from the very first beginning on.
I understand that it's necessary to compare the logfiles before/after to find out where the point is.
But, if it is be a hardware bug then it would persist without changing anything on the hardware but nobody did this. Neither I nor you, if I got you right.
Probably it's a bit tricky to control the hardware correctly, this may be.
But it is possible - as proofen by the windows driver.
Then - again - if it is not working in Linux, the bug is part of the Linux driver.

Would be glad to hear if you agree or not :-)

Regards
Heino.

PS
Still one point I'd like to add:
there was no interrelation between running Windows on the same machine in between (I have multiboot). So there is nothing like a flash-cell or something that needs to be set once. If so - it would have been set by Windows too.
But there was no interrelation by switching between Windows and Linux back and forth. Windows worked - Linux did not. Just getting the Linux-driver running the first time solved the thing.
Meanwhile I have migrated to the nvidia driver on a Kanotix-installation on the same machine too (similar to Knoppix/Debian) - it ran flawless.
No options necessary, nothing. Therfore I tend to agree that there is something in the hardware.
But it _can_ be fixed by software and so it should because SW is the only thing I can change.
Except I'd by another graphic-card (I'm not sure what vendor I'd select then ;-)