Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-04, 04:19 PM   #25
seamark

Default Re: If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first!

Hi,

Attempting to install RED HAT 9. (SAMS Teach yourself version)

Problem: Auto Install reaches sbin/loading ,welcome screen - then computer hangs.

Installing with command <linux text> seems OK.

Video card: GeForce FX5200.128Mb. NVIDIA compatable

Driver version: 6.14.10.5672. Installed driver: Nv4_disp.dll.

Processor: x86 Family 15 model 2 stepping 9 Genuine Intel ~2593 Mhz.

M/board: Dell Dimension 8300.

Regards,

Tony Thomas. UK.
seamark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-04, 09:48 AM   #26
darknick

I also have the same problem like seamark, please help!
darknick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 06:14 PM   #27
shaitand

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius
They can't GPL it because that license will force them to release anything linked to GPL'd code that they distribute (try reading it some time).

Contrary to what leonbrooks said, the magic IS in the software, see the controversy about driver optimisation, and benchmark "optimisation".

Maybe you guys should run FreeBSD.. The boxes I put nvidia binary drivers on haven't crashed due to nvidia issues very frequently at all. I would prefer rock solid stability but HW accelerated 3d is still a fairly new thing for open source operating systems.
Just to debunk and clarify a few things you said. First, Nvidia is the copyright holder, if they open source it they will still be the ones distributing, and they can requrie copyrights be assigned to them on contributions. So long as they hold the copyrights for contributions nvidia can license any way they want to, they can link to it all day long. YOU have to abide by the gpl if you recieve the code under the gpl, the gpl doesn't restrict the copyright holder!

Second, if they are linking or using someone elses gpl'd code then they HAVE to gpl thier code as well. It's not an optional thing, they are not allowed to distribute that gpld code or their derivative work under another license. Including in binary form (static linking).

Third, the magic IS in the hardware. Simply because it is possible to abuse the hardware via software hacks, those software hacks don't really improve performance. If what you mean is that opening the specs and/or the driver would allow people to produce drivers that actually run the hardware optimally rather than increase benchmark performance at the expense of real performance, tough, that's life. I think it's fair to say that MOST of us would prefer to keep real performance of a fast chip.

If something was released within the past month, THAT is new in the open source world (well maybe not in the BSD world, which is typically a few hundred steps behind) but hardware 3d acceleration in the linux world has been around for years. Hell nvidia hardware acceleration isn't even new, these drivers have been around awhile and get LESS stable with each release rather than more.

I hardly consider nvidia linux drivers charity, I BOUGHT nvidia hardware, I'm what is called a "customer". I pay these developers salaries, I pay their bosses salaries, and so forth all the way on up to the CEO. I'm not going to beg for rapid stable development, either they provide it or they open the drivers so the community can provide it. But I damn well better have it or I won't be purchasing Nvidia anymore.

Call me crazy, but I expect nvidia to provide support for 2.6 kernels BEFORE they are hit stable release LIKE THE REST OF THE OSS drivers. I expect drivers tested and working with the major distributions releases of the kernels BEFORE they hit stable. I also expect them to be included with those distributions. I don't think it's much to ask, but if Nvidia can't handle it, they should be opening the drivers. This makes their customers happy, it allieviates ALL of their expense maintaining and improving linux versions of the drivers. They simply have to release specs they already have to those maintaining the drivers for their new cards.
shaitand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-04, 06:44 PM   #28
SuLinUX

Bitching about nvidia and there Linux driver support will not do you any favors, you MUST repect nvidia's stance in this. Bitching just because you brought one of there cards which you know dont say on the box support for Linux is your own problem. Your welcome to go ATI but good luck on that as they have more issues that nvidia driver.
AthlonXP 2600+ / nForce2 Asus A7N8X-X / PNY GeForce FX5900 Ultra / 1024Mb Samsung Ram /nForce Sound / Hansol 920D Plus 19" monitor / Lite-On 32x12x40 / 2x Maxtor HD 40Gb/80Gb / nVidia 7174 driver / Gnome 2.10.1 / Kernel 2.6.11.9 / Slackware 10.0

Last edited by SuLinUX; 05-25-04 at 09:26 AM.
SuLinUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 02:28 AM   #29
baz2a

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...6&postcount=29

Just got NVIDIA 5336 drivers working on GeForce FX 5600, FC 2 Final, kernel 2.6.6 (yes that's kernel 2.6.6 I said) and KDE 3.2.2. Posted results in forum. Take a look if having probs. with FC2 and NVIDIA.

HTH,
Ben Z
baz2a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 10:32 AM   #30
shaitand

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuLinUX
Bitching about nvidia and there Linux driver support will not do you any favors, you MUST repect nvidia's stance in this. Bitching just because you brought one of there cards which you know dont say on the box support for Linux is your own problem. Your welcome to go ATI but good luck on that as they have more issues that nvidia driver.
What does the box have to do with anything? I check their website and I see drivers and messages saying their commited to supporting linux. I bought the cardS (7) on the basis that nvidia says they work with linux all over their website.

The ONLY thing which gives one the right to bitch is buying an Nvidia card, and EVERY customer has the right to bitch. It's called supply and demand, they supply cards, we the customers demand new features, be they faster cards or enhanced linux driver support.

It's true the ATI drivers don't hold up either, but quite frankly I fail to see any reason why ATI and Nvidia need to stay at the top of the industry anyway. It's users like me who spend alot on hardware who MAKE the industry leaders. Start giving them sales and watch the other manufacturers jump to the top with their new found capital. Watch ATI and Nvidia drop to the bottom.

I may not be enough to make or break Nvidia, but I advise on the purchase of aprox 5-7000 video cards annually. And those without bulk discounts (they are spread across a couple hundred customers). I personally have seven systems in various capacities. That's 7007 video card sales that will go to someone else this year if I don't start seeing linux listed on the box, and don't start seeing more effort put into linux drivers.

There are over 200 million linux users worldwide, 20million linux users in the US alone. 20 million is ALOT of video cards and if Nvidia doesn't want to sell them, I'm sure someone else will. A good chunk of those linux users work in IT and consulting, alot fo them have responsibility for hardware purchases for windows systems as well. Alot of them are advising on workstations that quite frankly don't HAVE to have the fastest gaming card in them...
shaitand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-04, 04:47 PM   #31
El Gonzo

Dear all,

I apparently have a problem installing my Nvidia card on Mandrake 10.0 Community.
It also maybe be related with my screen.
apparently my kernel version is fine but my XF86Config-4 does not want to start. He says there is an error on Lines 12, chargint rgbPath "usr/X11R6/lib/X11/rgb".
My Card is a GeForce FX5200 V9520series with a mother board elite k7s5a and and athlon porcessor.

Thanks for any help
Gonzo fury
El Gonzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-04, 10:26 PM   #32
hayaka
amd64 arch user

Can I also suggest that you attach the contents of /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status or at least tell us if you have Fast Write (FW) and Sideband Addressing (SBA) enabled.
hayaka is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-21-04, 02:45 AM   #33
iamkafai

Smile Re: If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first!

It took me almost an hour to get rid of the black screen problem after installing the nvidia driver (6111)...not kernel 4k stack (I had 8k stack compiled), not AGP...etc. The problem was it selected TV (s-video) as output instead of DFP...I only have DVI connected and no s-video cable appears anyway in my room though....After adding this [Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP"], boom, the screen shows up.

--KaFai
iamkafai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-04, 09:03 AM   #34
baboon

Is there some table somewhere, which shows the features that are supposed to work for certain cards and certain kernels/XFree86 on linux, and which dont?
baboon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-04, 10:04 AM   #35
larson9999

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyxs
To be honest new cards are always going to take a while to appear on a cheaper OS platform because of the money incentive being lacking. That said nvidia & ati are making an effort for us freebies
Freebies? I think you're mistaken. I don't pay any less than a windows user for the card. I agree that if they can't commit to the same level of support for linux, they should OSS it. Of course us linux folks will have to start buying only well supported HW in order to make this happen. I mean well supported not the best supported but still too buggy.

Having said all that....NVIDIA is still my choice for linux :-)

We love linux so much we'll even use it when we can't get 3D to work!
larson9999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-04, 03:29 AM   #36
carlosm

Cool Re: If you have a problem, PLEASE read this first!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darius
They can't GPL it because that license will force them to release anything linked to GPL'd code that they distribute (try reading it some time).
the driver module for nvidia IS GPL you and anyone can see at the source code when extracting from the .run file, and by the way it doesnt have to be a metter if nvidia support a OS which is FREE (as freedom, because actually redhat and suse are not FREE as zero cost), it doesnt means nvidia cards are free, you are paying for it, and thats an important point that I hope in the near future more and more companies will notice like nvidia does
carlosm is offline   Reply With Quote