Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-09-07, 03:32 PM   #1
slavagt

Default System Freezing - SMP + 7300GS

System (FC1, kernel 2.6.22.1, NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.11, SMP, Athlon 64 X2, ABIT KN9 SLI motherboard) freezing randomly without intensive graphics tasks. Sometimes once a day, sometimes much more. The kernel continue to work - it's possible to emergency reboot by sysrq hot keys. The same things was also with gigabyte motherboard with integrated NVIDIA graphics, but with less frequency. After this lookup, if I have open SSH sessions, this sessions continue to work, up to I try any things, which need some reading from HDD (it's impossible to do "less /var/log/messages" for example).
I was try all solutions I found here, but nothing help.
As I write, it's lookup randomly only in ordinal tasks. Then I try specview tests (SPECViewperf9.0.3.tar.gz from http://www.spec.org/gwpg/downloadindex.html) , the system freezing, and can not full complete it.
Only things, which can help, is the boot key to the kernel: "maxcpus=1". With this, system work fine, can run specview many times without any problems, and was work without lookups more then one week - up to I rebooting it.
And because this problem was with NVIDIA integrated graphics, and with 7300GS now, and both, problem disappear after "maxcpus=1" it may be the common problem of most NVIDIA graphics chips in SMP mode.
All solution from this forum and from Internet, was not help, and I think, that some peoples was think that it's help only because this lookup is random. Only way to reproduce "not random" lookup - the specview test. And only one solution for stability - "maxcpus=1".
I was make ls of /proc/driver/nvidia/warnings directory after lookup - it's not appear any new files here. Also, I can not make nvidia-bug-report after lookup - then I try to do this, the console from which I do this also stop responding. So, I send to you nvidia-bug-report which I make before system lookup.
=================
Please help with this. Possibly you have any new beta drivers for Linux, which have solution for this ? To reproduce bug, you can run specview at any system with 7300GS video and X2 CPU. Very possible, that also with any other "low end" or integrated NVIDIA and dual core CPUS. Please, help to find solution. I was want to buy new video cards (I use only NVIDIA many-many years) but I don't sure what to do now... If I must to use only one core of dual core CPU for stability with NVIDIA, as I do now... Did this problem only with "low end" video cards ? If I buy 8500 or 8600 for example, it will be help with this problem ? Who know ?
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report-2core.zip (29.1 KB, 117 views)
slavagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-07, 04:39 PM   #2
whig
550Ti

Default Re: System Freezing - SMP + 7300GS

Your setup is fairly old there, Redhat 3.3 and XFree86. For testing purposes you could download a recent distro to see if the lockups persist. Using memtest to check ram should come back with a pass, but wouldn't hurt to run anyway. It may not be the Nvidia driver at all - run X with the "nv" driver for a day. Also monitor cpu and gpu temperatures.
whig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 03:27 AM   #3
slavagt

I was check memory with 3 different memory test programs (include memtest). All OK. Then I try to run 2 "mprime -t" and "mprime -t - a 1" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MPrime) for load both CPU cores, because some memory problems can be undetectable by any memtests and some CPU problems is undetectable by any CPU tests. After this I was increase memory voltage. Now mprime work more then 24 hours without any problems (in console mode). Any memtest too.
=======
But the system was continue to random lookups in any graphics tasks. After this I change CPU to newest brisbane core. Also, I have 2 memory modules (2 x 512 Corsair). So I check with one module, then with other. This not help. Then I give other memory module from my friend. This not help too. Also I was change motherboard. This also not help. Also I try all solutions I was find here and in Internet.
Then I was find program which can make max load for GPU (SPECviewperf). And find, that system can not pass it. So, it's may be the best program for reproduce this problem, because with it, the system lookups in 3-5 minutes. This all - then system use 2 cores (SMP).
====================
Then I try kernel option "maxcpus=1", This options is disable second core, and system became "non-SMP". After this all lookups disappear. It can pass SPECviewperf many times one by one without any problems, and work with any graphics tasks with uptime up to 1 week. After this, I was try to increase GPU speed to maximum I can set by nvidia-setting for testing Video hardware stability. All work fine, SPECviewperf pass many times without any problems. Uptime was up to 3 days with overclocking GPU (with "maxcpus=1"). Up to I reboot system for next test. But then I switch system to SMP mode (run without "maxcpus=1") - system lookup again. After this I disable second core again, and write bug report to you. Now system uptime is 2 days, 11:04, all work fine (with maxcpus=1). So it may be only drivers problem in SMP mode, because problem appear only in SMP, and because all hardware (include GPU) work fine in ordinal and also in overclocking modes without problem. Only things I can not test now - the works with new distro, because the upgrade of my system is need more one week of work (too many customized and my own programs I need to rebuild for upgrade. But, it's not very possible, because if you search Internet, and this forum too, you will be find that too many peoples with different distros, have the same random lookups problems. And only common things - the SMP mode only.
=============================
2 ALL who can NVIDIA 7300 GPUs or Nvidia integrated GPUs and Athlon X2 CPUS and have random lookup problems. Please try SPECviewperf at first. Did it pass ? If no, please try "maxcpus=1" kernel option (in /boot/grub/grub.conf) and check system. And write results here. I think it will be help to locate this problem.
Old 08-10-07, 03:36 AM   #4
slavagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
Your setup is fairly old there, Redhat 3.3 and XFree86.
Where you find "Redhat 3.3 ?????!!!! I use Fedora Core 1, and XFree 4.3.0.
[slava@maze slava]$ X -version
XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Fedora Core 1: 4.3.0-55)
Kernel is 2.6.22.1
The 3.3.2 is the version of gcc, not the system version :
[slava@maze slava]$ rpm -qa | grep gcc
compat-gcc-7.3-2.96.118
gcc-gnat-3.3.2-1
gcc-g77-3.3.2-1
gcc-c++-3.3.2-1
gcc32-3.2.3-6
gcc-java-3.3.2-1
compat-gcc-c++-7.3-2.96.118
gcc-objc-3.3.2-1
libgcc-3.3.2-1
gcc-3.3.2-1
Old 08-10-07, 05:07 AM   #5
whig
550Ti

Opps got the Redhat from
Code:
/var/log/XFree86.0.log

XFree86 Version 4.3.0 (Fedora Core 1: 4.3.0-55)
Release Date: 15 August 2003
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0, Release 6.6
Build Operating System: Linux 2.4.21-9.ELsmp i686 [ELF] 
Build Date: 12 February 2004
Build Host: bugs.devel.redhat.com

Before reporting any problems, please make sure you are using the most
        recent XFree86 packages available from Red Hat by checking for updates
        at http://rhn.redhat.com/errata or by using the Red Hat Network up2date
        tool.  If you still encounter problems, please file bug reports in the
        XFree86.org bugzilla at http://bugs.xfree86.org and/or Red Hat
        bugzilla at http://bugzilla.redhat.com

Module Loader present
OS Kernel: Linux version 2.6.22.1-SMP-ALSA (root@maze.ambernet.kiev.ua)
(gcc version 3.3.2 20031022 (Red Hat Linux 3.3.2-1))
#1 SMP Sat Jul 14 17:19:41 EEST 2007 P
The 2004 build of X is dated, if that age is correct, so upgrade asap.
Old 08-10-07, 02:06 PM   #6
slavagt

Ok. I was upgraded the X server to the latest version I find at http://www.xfree86.org (4.6.0). Its will give several hours but I did this. But... I was write earlier, that this will be not problem, because the same problem with SMP have peoples with very different distros ? The new XFree was not help, and was can not help. Without "maxcpus=1" kernel boot option, system is unstable, and SPECviewperf test can not pass. With "maxcpus=1" kernel boot options, all work OK, SPECviewperf passed without problems.
What we have ? Many peoples with different distros, X server versions and kernel versions have the same problem (random lookup). Only common things - SMP+NVidia. I was test now with two different versions of X servers. All the same. It's look like that its a driver problem ?
====
The new nvidia-bug-report I attached to this message. It's was get with "maxcpus=1" kernel boot option.
==========
Did you have any driver options for try to disable TurboCache or(and) decrease PCIe speed ? Or any debug options for try to give more detailed debugging information to you ?
============
If you have any Linux PC with NVidia 7300GS card and dual core CPU, please try SPECviewperf test. It make very heavy load at the GPU, and this help to fast reproduce this lookup, without waiting several hours/ several days for "random lookup". This may be help in debugging.
=====================
PS The GPU temperature by nvidia-setting program is between 57-61 C then SPECviewperf running and 51-52 C then iddle (~5 minutes after heavy load).
Attached Files
File Type: zip nvidia-bug-report-1core_X460.zip (28.5 KB, 104 views)
Old 08-10-07, 04:14 PM   #7
whig
550Ti

I don't have any special info to help you. The sticky post mentions a pci=nommconf boot option to try with SMP systems, maybe or not it would help you. Underclocking the card rather than the bus could be an option. Many new systems today are SMP; most perform just fine w/ Nvidia cards although it isn't any comfort if the system (hardware+software) is unstable in one's case.
Old 08-10-07, 04:32 PM   #8
sula

xfree 4.6.0 is fairly old too. I think you have problems because you're stuck with ancient software. Really download newest Fedora Core or any other modern distro - you will get your problems solved and experience whole new linux. IT is for free - why stick with Red Hat 3.3
sula is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-11-07, 02:23 PM   #9
slavagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sula
xfree 4.6.0 is fairly old too. I think you have problems because you're stuck with ancient software. Really download newest Fedora Core or any other modern distro - you will get your problems solved and experience whole new linux. IT is for free - why stick with Red Hat 3.3
4.6.0 is the last release of XFree as I see. This is the main server of XFree project: http://www.xfree86.org/. If you will be find here most recent RELEASED version of XFree, I will be wandering. Or you think that beta versions may be more stable ? And about distributives. Any distributives is only the pack of some libraries which was give from projects main servers and packed. Thats all. If 4.6.0 is the last release, this is the last release, because peoples from fedora team don't write XFree and most other packets too... Also please read other branch, where peoples with Fedora Core 7 have the same problems. And try to google the keyvord "NVidia SMP". Many distros, many different hardware, and the same problem.
About 3.3.. I was write, now write again for you if you reading only last post and write answer imediatelly. Did you know what is the differences between version of system and version of gcc compiler ? Check your system and you will be find some libraries with version 1.1 etc for example. Did it say that you have system version 1.1 ? No ? It's the same. This the version of gcc only. Not of the system. System is FC1. Or Redhat 10 (because FC1 really was RH10 before became FC1). Please read carefully before answer.
And please, if you say that my XFree, is not the last release version, please give the link at the more recent XFree release... If you know where can be more recent release than at XFree project home.
Old 08-11-07, 02:27 PM   #10
slavagt

Quote:
Originally Posted by whig
I don't have any special info to help you. The sticky post mentions a pci=nommconf boot option to try with SMP systems, maybe or not it would help you. Underclocking the card rather than the bus could be an option. Many new systems today are SMP; most perform just fine w/ Nvidia cards although it isn't any comfort if the system (hardware+software) is unstable in one's case.
I was try this too With this, the system work much stable, but random lookups is don't dissipater And SPECviewperf did not pass. It work longer before lookup - thats all Only bootup options which help for me now is "maxcpus=1" I was give todey other NVIDIA graphic card for several days and will be test with it. Thank you for answer.
Old 08-12-07, 03:31 AM   #11
tiftof

Seems like I finally found what's causing my lockups: I too need the maxcpus=1 kernel option to have a stable system... I'm glad I finally found out what's the problem, but that kernel option isn't really a solution as it cuts my cpu power in half.

My setup:
Ubuntu Feisty
kernel version 2.6.22.1

CPU: Pentium D 830
Mainboard: MSI MS-7204
Graphics: NVIDIA GF 7600 GS (driver 100.14.11)

But I've had this problem with earlier kernel versions and also with a GF 6700 XL.
tiftof is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:30 AM   #12
slavagt

Rescue rolling - a handwork of rolling (C) Ostap Bender

Mini-HowTo for resolving problems with random lookups (freezing) the Dual core system (may be useful for all other too) with NVidia GPU. Tested with XFree 4.3 and XFree 4.6. May be help in 50% of random lookup with NVIdia and dual core CPU.

-1) Try to load kernel with "maxcpus=1" kernel boot option. If system became stable - congratulations ! this Mini-Howto is for you ! If not, this will be also help you to find problems

0)
Download mprime from here (important): http://www.mersenne.org/freesoft.htm
Download SPECViewperf from here (useful):
http://www.spec.org/gwpg/downloadindex.html
Install downloaded programs
Logout from Xwindows
open two console windows
run "mprime -t" in one console and "mprime -t -A 1" in other (one mprime per core)
If both mprime work more 6 hours without errors you have excellent stable CPU, memory, motherboard, and power supply, so go to section 3, else go to section 2

2) You have hardware problems, and it is not nvidia video or drivers problems.
If you overclocking, reset all to default, and goto 1
If not help, check CPU temperature then 2 mprime running ("sensors" for example), check power supply voltages, remove dusts from CPU cooler and from PSU. goto 1.
If not help, check /var/log/messages or /var/log/mce.log (depending of system and kernel versions). If you will be find MCE exception here, try to change CPU (very possible CPU cache damaged). Goto 1.
If you don't have MCE exceptions or this is not help, try to increase memory voltages up to 1.9-2.0 V. Goto 1
If not help, try to change memory modules for testing, and goto 1.
if not help... Possibly motherboard or power supply problems. Anyway, you have hardware problems, and your system can not work stable. Try to find problems, before writing about NVidia bugs. Goto 1.

3) Try to run SPECVeiewperf. If system lookup during it, congratulations ! You have excellent testing programs, and don't must to wait many hours to see "random lookup" If it pass 2-3... You not lucky, and may be waiting several hours for testing for random lookups. Sorry.
Download the latest kernel (I use 2.6.22.3), install it..
Run SPECviewperf for testing. If not help.
Download the latest NVidia drivers (later then 100.14.11). The 100.14.11 is last ? Write bug report to NVIdia, and download 1.0-9746. Install it. run SPECVIEWperf.
All OK ? Congratulation. Write bug report to NVidia and use this driver versions up to they writing new drivers without this dual core bugs. If not help... Sorry, so this Mini-Howto not for you

PS Anyway, if you have Dual Core CPU and the 100.14.11 display driver from NVidia, and if you think that your system is stable, try SPECViewperf. Very possibly you wiil be see the high quality lookup of your system Yes ? Goto section -1

(C) Vyacheslav Garashchenko, aka DarkNess aka SlavaGT