Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-07-07, 07:39 PM   #1
annmay

Default RCA vs. Component

Hi everyone, I just joined the forum.

I have a flat screen TV that takes a component signal, so I'm looking to hook that up. I know they sell component cables designated for each color but they look exactly like RCA cables with slightly thicker heads. Is there any different between the two cords, or can I save money and use RCAs?
annmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 08:25 PM   #2
betterdan

Default Re: RCA vs. Component

You could use the RCA cables but don't be a cheap ass and just get some component ones, they aren't that expensive especially if you order them from here http://www.monoprice.com/products/su...d=10235&style=
Old 08-07-07, 09:15 PM   #3
rflair
W OOO OOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by annmay
Hi everyone, I just joined the forum.

I have a flat screen TV that takes a component signal, so I'm looking to hook that up. I know they sell component cables designated for each color but they look exactly like RCA cables with slightly thicker heads. Is there any different between the two cords, or can I save money and use RCAs?
No you can't use RCA cables in component jacks, they operate on different impedances (ohms).
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p
ASUS P5K-E
8.0G OCZ RAM
Rig is ON 24/7
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 09:17 PM   #4
betterdan

Yes you can, I have done it before in a pinch and they worked.
Old 08-07-07, 09:30 PM   #5
rflair
W OOO OOO

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Yes you can, I have done it before in a pinch and they worked.
My mistake then, I just remember trying digital audio with regular rca and it didn't work. Never tried video, I stand corrected.
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p
ASUS P5K-E
8.0G OCZ RAM
Rig is ON 24/7
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 09:33 PM   #6
evilghost

As long as they're the same gauge cable they work just fine, regardless of the color. Just makes doing YPbPr a little more annoying when you're mismatching the cable colors
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-07, 10:08 PM   #7
betterdan

Digital audio coax works with regular composite cables too, at least the video composite cable, never tried the audio composite but I don't see why that wouldn't work either.
When I didn't have enough optical inputs on my old receiver I was using a regular analog composite cable for the digital coax output on the dvd player and into the receiver with no problems.
Old 08-07-07, 11:58 PM   #8
Bman212121

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflair
My mistake then, I just remember trying digital audio with regular rca and it didn't work. Never tried video, I stand corrected.
You can do digital audio with a regular cable as well IIRC. I'm pretty sure I've tried that with my Logitechs just using a standard composite cable, and it worked just fine. The wire itself is just a piece of copper, so as long as it can pass the current it sound work. It could have been a really thin cable or maybe too long to pass the signal properly.

@ the op:
I would probably just order a component cable though since it won't be much more, but the colors will match and you know it should work good because that is what it was intended to be used for.
Bman212121 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-08-07, 05:20 PM   #9
annmay

Thanks for all the help everyone. I tried using regular RCA and that seems to work for now, although I might buy a set of component to free up the other cables for audio equip. Thanks!
annmay is offline   Reply With Quote