Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-10-07, 01:20 AM   #1
1337_Like_ThaT
O.U.T.L.A.W.

Default Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

I admit about 65% of all my HDDVD titles are Universal Pictures, otherwise I would have no use for the player. With BluRay, my collection is varied with LionsGate, Disney/Buena Vista, Paramont, Columbia, 20th Centurey Fox, Sony Pictures and soon Starz Entertainment

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Ray.com
Speaking exclusively with HiHD's Scott Hettrick, Universal president Craig Kornblau admitted that his studio is in favor of the format war continuing, despite the negative effects it has on consumer adoption. While its hard to argue that this war has driven down hardware prices and increased quality of releases much faster than if there was only a single format, consumers have mostly stayed away from buying either until a victor can be decided.

Kornblau now believes that HD DVD's existence is so fragile, that if Universal were to decide to go neutral and start releasing on Blu-ray, HD DVD would cease to exist. In fact, they are so dedicated to HD DVD, that Universal has walked away from additional financial incentives to release Blu-ray content, besides the additional revenue they would make by releasing on the more consumer adopted format.

There is hope, however, that this war could soon be over. Kornblau admits that once players reach $200, consumers will begin making their decisions about which format to adopt, and that is when Universal will decide who to support. As we march towards the forth quarter, it is very realistic that Toshiba will slash the price of their players for a third time this year (in yet another act of desperation), paving way for a $200 player. If that happens, there is no reason Universal couldn't monitor the holiday sales and announce Blu-ray releases at CES 2008.
Doesn't seem like Universal is backing away from HDDVD support, but will come to a conclusion of whether to go neutral or not after the holiday season

Gaming Rig
Inte Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 3.2ghz | EVGA nForce 680i | G.Skill DDR2 800mhz 4-4-4-12 @ 2.0v | Western Digital RaptorX 150GB | Western Digital 500GB SATA II | EVGA 8800GTS 512MB | Plextor PX-716SA DVD-RW | Plextor PX-755SA DVD-RW DL | PC Power & Cooling Silencer 610 | Antec 900 BLK | Dell FPW 2005 20.1" WS | IceMat 2nd. Ed. MousePad | Logitech G15 | Logitech G9 |

160GB (60GB) PS3 Owner | DS3 Controllers | PSN: Res215dg
PSP 3000 Black + 16GB Memory Stick Duo *Locked and Ready for Resistance Retribution*
1337_Like_ThaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 02:47 AM   #2
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

HD-DVD is lacking in titles big time. That's the only real thing that BR has over them. So yeah, I could see this statement being 100% true. Most of the HD titles I've wanted have been on BR.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 02:56 AM   #3
DarkJedi664

Send a message via MSN to DarkJedi664
Default Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partnership

Well seeing as how Weinstein is now putting titles on BD, who does that leave as exclusive? Universal. This format war is only HURTING consumers, not helping them.

http://card.mygamercard.net/IshimaruKenta.png
DarkJedi664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 04:12 PM   #4
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Why are universal supporting HDDVD exclusively and Disney and others with Blu Ray? Surely they will make more money if they supported both formats?
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-07, 05:05 PM   #5
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_LoL
Why are universal supporting HDDVD exclusively and Disney and others with Blu Ray? Surely they will make more money if they supported both formats?
Alot of the studios have a financial backing with the specific formats. I believe there was a rumor that Universal was exclusive due to contract agreements and that the contract ended next year, if this rumor is true I can see them switching then... Every dual format format release Blu-Ray continues to sell more...
Old 08-10-07, 08:24 PM   #6
DarkJedi664

Send a message via MSN to DarkJedi664

Which is why HD-DVD should just give up. They're only prolonging this whole "format war" and hurting the consumers. It's absoultely retarded that there's 2 formats.

http://card.mygamercard.net/IshimaruKenta.png
DarkJedi664 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 06:25 PM   #7
SOAD

Default Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi664
Which is why HD-DVD should just give up. They're only prolonging this whole "format war" and hurting the consumers. It's absoultely retarded that there's 2 formats.
you havent heard of making money have you?
SOAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-07, 01:52 PM   #8
npras42
Hi Everybody!

If it wasn't for the competition between the two formats you wouldn't see prices going down so quickly. The halving in retail price for the hardware would have probably taken more than 2 years were it not for the competition. So its good for all 'the-wait-and-seers' like myself.
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-21-07, 12:54 AM   #9
XxDeadlyxX
STALKER!!!!!!!!

This article has become majorly invalid now
Main PC [Core i7 980X @ 4.3GHz] [Gigabyte X58A-UD7] [7TB of HDDs] [2x Inno3D GTX 480 SLI @ stock] [12GB Team Xtreem 7-7-7-24 @ 1500mhz] [Antec 1200] [Alienware AW2310 (general use/3D Vision) and Samsung 46B650 @ 1080p24] [X-Fi Forte] [Pioneer Blu-ray BDC-S02] [Silverstone Strider 1500W] [Creative Gigaworks S750 7.1] [Windows 7 x64] 3DMark Vantage - 38010
XxDeadlyxX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 10:51 AM   #10
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by XxDeadlyxX
This article has become majorly invalid now
BD's "The Sky is Falling" campaign failed!
Old 08-21-07, 10:55 AM   #11
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
BD's "The Sky is Falling" campaign failed!
Now, if only Fox would get their heads out of their asses...
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 10:59 AM   #12
Tr1cK
not coming back

Default Re: Universal Pictures President believes HDDVD would fail without Universal Partners

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Now, if only Fox would get their heads out of their asses...
Fox news too? LOL
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote