Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-11-07, 08:22 AM   #1
pkerwien

Default Instability problem with 7600GS & 100.14.11

I'm experiencing some instability problem with the nvidia driver. I've now tried a lot of things, but now I'm out of ideas. The following happens after approx. a few hours to up to 3 days:

- The monitor goes into standby due to no signal
- The network seems to die because I cannot ping or remote login to the machine
- It's not responding to ctrl-alt-backspace. Not even ctrl-alt-del

When running the same machine with the nv driver I have been able to have it up and running for more than 7 days without any problem. I have added panic=30 to the kernel parameters, but the machine won't reboot after 30s, meaning that the crash/freeze is not a kernel panic(?).

I have now tried with several nvidia driver versions, some different kernel versions, run memtest+ to check the RAM, changed harddrive, tested both Gentoo amd64 and x86, added pci=nommconf and idle=poll to the kernel parameters.

Any suggestions what to try or how to debug when this happens are very welcome! For more information about my system, please see the nvidia-bug-report.log file.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (88.5 KB, 84 views)
pkerwien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 11:04 AM   #2
JoachimF

Default Re: Instability problem with 7600GS & 100.14.11

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkerwien
I'm experiencing some instability problem with the nvidia driver. I've now tried a lot of things, but now I'm out of ideas. The following happens after approx. a few hours to up to 3 days:

- The monitor goes into standby due to no signal
- The network seems to die because I cannot ping or remote login to the machine
- It's not responding to ctrl-alt-backspace. Not even ctrl-alt-del

When running the same machine with the nv driver I have been able to have it up and running for more than 7 days without any problem. I have added panic=30 to the kernel parameters, but the machine won't reboot after 30s, meaning that the crash/freeze is not a kernel panic(?).

I have now tried with several nvidia driver versions, some different kernel versions, run memtest+ to check the RAM, changed harddrive, tested both Gentoo amd64 and x86, added pci=nommcfg and idle=poll to the kernel parameters.

Any suggestions what to try or how to debug when this happens are very welcome! For more information about my system, please see the nvidia-bug-report.log file.
From your description, I seem to have the exact same problem.

Furhter details:
* Dual-core machine
* 2.6.22.1-41.fc7
* 7600GS

Tried same stuff you mention + various kernels & driver versions.

Please post here if you find a solution. (I promise I'll do it too)
JoachimF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 04:57 PM   #3
pkerwien

After reading some more posts, I'm trying the maxcpus=1 kernel parameter.
Old 08-11-07, 05:09 PM   #4
JoachimF

Quote:
After reading some more posts, I'm trying the maxcpus=1 kernel parameter.
Did that too, only 5 minutes ago. Didn't work. Froze up solid 30 seconds into the WCIII menus.
Old 08-11-07, 05:55 PM   #5
pkerwien

Bad news. Seems to be impossible to get a stable system
Old 08-12-07, 06:52 AM   #6
JoachimF

Quote:
Bad news. Seems to be impossible to get a stable system
How did you reach that conclusion so quickly? I've lived with this since february, and I haven't given up... yet... A lot of people apparently have stable systems, so why shouldn't we too be able to?
Old 08-12-07, 07:03 PM   #7
Ralph

I think that about 99 percent of the problems posted in this forum are kernel problems (wrong configuration) or BIOS problems and not nVidia (driver) problems.

I use Linux since 1998 and I have acquired a discreet experience with this kind of problems. I have installed Linux on many PCs with different motherboards and different video cards and (after an adeguate kernel configuration) I never experienced crashes or stability problems.

Actually I am using a desktop HP Pavilion with CPU AMD64 X2 4200+ Dual Core, video card nVidia GeForce 7600 GS, driver nVidia 100.14.11, Slackware 11, kernel 2.6.22 SMP compiled by me; after eight months of intensive use, no stability problems, nor crashes, nor hangs up.

Additionally, with this fantastic nVidia driver, performances under Linux are better than Windows XP (powered by HP).

Huge thanks to the nVidia developers and ... sorry for my bad English
Ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-07, 10:03 PM   #8
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
I think that about 99 percent of the problems posted in this forum are kernel problems (wrong configuration) or BIOS problems and not nVidia (driver) problems.

I use Linux since 1998 and I have acquired a discreet experience with this kind of problems. I have installed Linux on many PCs with different motherboards and different video cards and (after an adeguate kernel configuration) I never experienced crashes or stability problems.

Actually I am using a desktop HP Pavilion with CPU AMD64 X2 4200+ Dual Core, video card nVidia GeForce 7600 GS, driver nVidia 100.14.11, Slackware 11, kernel 2.6.22 SMP compiled by me; after eight months of intensive use, no stability problems, nor crashes, nor hangs up.

Additionally, with this fantastic nVidia driver, performances under Linux are better than Windows XP (powered by HP).

Huge thanks to the nVidia developers and ... sorry for my bad English
Ralph, what special kernel configuration did you do to make it work? I'm having severe kernel-crashing instability problems with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, stock Fedora 7 2.6.22.1-41 kernel, a GeForce 7300 GS video card, and driver nVidia100.14.11. With kernel parameter maxcpus=1, it works like a charm (2 days now and no problems), but using both cores, my dual-monitor configuration crashes in 5 minutes or less.
MichaelFischer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-13-07, 08:30 PM   #9
Ralph

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelFischer
Ralph, what special kernel configuration did you do to make it work? I'm having severe kernel-crashing instability problems with an AMD Athlon(tm) 64 X2 Dual Core Processor 4400+, stock Fedora 7 2.6.22.1-41 kernel, a GeForce 7300 GS video card, and driver nVidia100.14.11. With kernel parameter maxcpus=1, it works like a charm (2 days now and no problems), but using both cores, my dual-monitor configuration crashes in 5 minutes or less.
If it can help you, this is my config for the kernel 2.6.22

http://xoomer.alice.it/ramsoft/shots/config-2.6.22

Mainly, you need to change only the stuff regarding Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) and Native Language Support; I suggest you to identify accurately your BUS options and to compile relatives drivers into the kernel and not as modules (at boot, if the kernel loads generic BUS drivers before specific BUS drivers, you will have problems).

Very important: PCI Express support (if you have a PCI Express card) and I2C support for nVidia cards.

Another thing: I suggest you to install the nVidia driver with the -n option (no precompiled headers).

P.S. I am using both cores with single monitor configuration (and no kernel parameters).

P.P.S. It seems that many Fedora users have problems with the nVidia drivers; maybe, Fedora is the problem?
Old 08-13-07, 09:45 PM   #10
MichaelFischer
kingfischer289

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph
If it can help you, this is my config for the kernel 2.6.22

http://xoomer.alice.it/ramsoft/shots/config-2.6.22

Mainly, you need to change only the stuff regarding Bus options (PCI, PCMCIA, EISA, MCA, ISA) and Native Language Support; I suggest you to identify accurately your BUS options and to compile relatives drivers into the kernel and not as modules (at boot, if the kernel loads generic BUS drivers before specific BUS drivers, you will have problems).

Very important: PCI Express support (if you have a PCI Express card) and I2C support for nVidia cards.

Another thing: I suggest you to install the nVidia driver with the -n option (no precompiled headers).

P.S. I am using both cores with single monitor configuration (and no kernel parameters).

P.P.S. It seems that many Fedora users have problems with the nVidia drivers; maybe, Fedora is the problem?
Thanks for the suggestions. I'm no kernel expert, but the first thing I noticed in your configuration file is the line
CONFIG_X86_32=y
so it seems that you are using a 32-bit kernel on your machine. Fedora 7 sets
CONFIG_X86_64=y
CONFIG_64BIT=y
I wouldn't be at all surprised if the 32-bit kernel is more stable than the 64-bit. It would be nice to know if anybody has a 64-bit kernel that works stably on a dual-core AMD64 processor with the nVidia 100.14.11 driver.
MichaelFischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-07, 03:10 AM   #11
pkerwien

Thanks for some opinions and ideas.

I will compare my kernel configuration with Ralph's. I will then try my Gentoo installation on another system. I don't have an spare Socket 939 board, so I will have to switch to a Core2 Duo motherboard meaning a lot of differences. But I will use the same graphics cards and nVidia driver. If this becomes stable even with both cores enabled, I might have to upgrade the motherboard (and CPU, memory etc). I have the latest BIOS, and unfortunately ASUS will probably not release anymore BIOS updates.
Old 08-14-07, 07:33 AM   #12
Ralph

Quote:
Thanks for some opinions and ideas.

I will compare my kernel configuration with Ralph's. I will then try my Gentoo installation on another system. I don't have an spare Socket 939 board, so I will have to switch to a Core2 Duo motherboard meaning a lot of differences. But I will use the same graphics cards and nVidia driver. If this becomes stable even with both cores enabled, I might have to upgrade the motherboard (and CPU, memory etc). I have the latest BIOS, and unfortunately ASUS will probably not release anymore BIOS updates.
Pkerwien, in your nvidia-bug-report.log I see:
Code:
(WW) Open ACPI failed (/var/run/acpid.socket) (No such file or directory)
and
Code:
(II) NVIDIA(0): Unable to connect to the ACPI daemon; the ACPI daemon may not
(II) NVIDIA(0):     be running or the "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration option
(II) NVIDIA(0):     may not be set correctly.  When the ACPI daemon is
(II) NVIDIA(0):     available, the NVIDIA X driver can use it to receive ACPI
(II) NVIDIA(0):     events.  For details, please see the "ConnectToAcpid" and
(II) NVIDIA(0):     "AcpidSocketPath" X configuration options in Appendix B: X
(II) NVIDIA(0):     Config Options in the README.
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedor.../msg04711.html

P.S. MichaelFischer, 64 bit Linux distributions are very unstable.