Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 07-06-07, 05:24 PM   #1
umanzor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Default Information about the 6800XT

Hi, I currently have a fairly old system (P4 2,4GHz, 1.2 GB RAM, AGP 4x, GeForce 4 MX) and since I'm not planning to buy a new computer until next week, I really want to buy a new graphic card. I want the best thing I can get for this computer, not something too overkill that the cpu or the AGP 4X bus will bottleneck.

I have this on mind. Planning to buy in a a month.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814141057

But there are some problems. In the newegg page it says it supports AGP4X/8X, but in Biostar's site it says AGP 8X. Also, it doesn't say anything about the power supply, I currently have a 400W (well, it says Output: 400W).

Any info on this, or any other card you recommend please post it. I really want to toss this geforce4 out the window.
umanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 04:33 AM   #2
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by umanzor
Hi, I currently have a fairly old system (P4 2,4GHz, 1.2 GB RAM, AGP 4x, GeForce 4 MX) and since I'm not planning to buy a new computer until next week, I really want to buy a new graphic card. I want the best thing I can get for this computer, not something too overkill that the cpu or the AGP 4X bus will bottleneck.

I have this on mind. Planning to buy in a a month.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814141057

But there are some problems. In the newegg page it says it supports AGP4X/8X, but in Biostar's site it says AGP 8X. Also, it doesn't say anything about the power supply, I currently have a 400W (well, it says Output: 400W).
The 6800xt is a 8x card, which is backwards compatible to 4x operation. And there will be very little difference in performance when using a 6800xt with a 4x AGP port !

But maybe more important is that to get the best from your new card, you should also consider overclocking the VGA card and your cpu/mobo ?

And unless your 400W PSU is a cheap generic type, it will probably be ok with a 6800xt ?

For a 68xxxx series card it's generally recommended that the PSU have a +12v rating of around 15-20 Amps ---> and I mean real RMS amps. The PSU is the heart of the computer, so always important to go for best quality version you can afford ?

With PSU's, the basic rule of "if you pay little, you get little for it", really is true !!


__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 09:02 AM   #3
BigE4u
Fatal Error
 
BigE4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 522
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Just curious, what parts will your newer system consist of(cpu/mem/etc) and do you plan on using that 6800XT with your newer system or just keep it with the old one?

About that 400w psu, unless its a quality made unit(psu that came with case doesnt qualify), dont play with fire, plan on buying a new one.

Clean and stable power is a must for todays systems, so buying a quality name brand power supply by the likes of Enermax/OCZ/Xclio/Antec is the smarter choice and will last you along time.
__________________
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 v2
Gskill RipjawsX 2x4gb pc3-1600
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm sata2
Zotac AMP GTX460 1gb
Win7 Ultimate_x64 Sp1
BigE4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 09:16 AM   #4
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE4u
Just curious, what parts will your newer system consist of(cpu/mem/etc) and do you plan on using that 6800XT with your newer system or just keep it with the old one?

About that 400w psu, unless its a quality made unit(psu that came with case doesnt qualify), dont play with fire, plan on buying a new one.

Clean and stable power is a must for todays systems, so buying a quality name brand power supply by the likes of Enermax/OCZ/Xclio/Antec is the smarter choice and will last you along time.
I have a 6800XT/LE AGP 128MB which I like a lot, and even without overclocking its still a very decent card. It can't run anything at max details now, but it still simply can run anything.

With the rig you have, I'd forget about overclocking, since you'll be going from slow to almost as slow. That 6800XT is going to be an easy 4 to 8 times faster than your Geforce4MX, with added support for every current game. Good cheap choice. The power draw is pretty low too, I would say you're fine with a 400W, but don't OC and have good case airflow, heat impacts on a PSU's performance too!
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 11:20 AM   #5
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free
 
Rob_0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Hows the reference Nvidia 6800 xt? Heres the link

Ive heard of the agp bug, so I went ahead and did that registry tweak.

I wont receive the card til next weekend, but since I couldn't find any reviews online about this specific card made by nvidia, does anyone know anything about it?

I do have the K8N Neo v2.0 nforce 3 board and Athlon 64 3200+ (venice)
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 11:43 AM   #6
umanzor
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 4
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Just curious, what parts will your newer system consist of(cpu/mem/etc) and do you plan on using that 6800XT with your newer system or just keep it with the old one?
Haven't really dig into that yet, but I'm not planning to reuse this card. After all, my current computer will go to my sister. I do plan to get the best I can for $1000 -$1500 though. But it won't be until next year.

Quote:
For a 68xxxx series card it's generally recommended that the PSU have a +12v rating of around 15-20 Amps ---> and I mean real RMS amps. The PSU is the heart of the computer, so always important to go for best quality version you can afford ?
I'm not sure, but I think it is a generic psu. I'll have to buy a psu, a power splitter (it's the same 4 pin connector that hard disk drives have right?) and maybe 2 fans, since the only 2 fans in my computer are the one from psu and the other is for the cpu.
umanzor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 01:32 PM   #7
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free
 
Rob_0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by umanzor
Haven't really dig into that yet, but I'm not planning to reuse this card. After all, my current computer will go to my sister. I do plan to get the best I can for $1000 -$1500 though. But it won't be until next year.



I'm not sure, but I think it is a generic psu. I'll have to buy a psu, a power splitter (it's the same 4 pin connector that hard disk drives have right?) and maybe 2 fans, since the only 2 fans in my computer are the one from psu and the other is for the cpu.
I upgraded to a Coolmax 450B 450 watt PS, with some good voltage numbers, for $44, plus theirs a $15 mail in rebate, from tigerdirect

I have bought 2 of them already.

No SLI ready bit, but it's solid so far. Im running a A64 3200+, K8N Neo v2.0 H nforce 3 mobo, 160 gig ata100 seagate, regular cd-rom, gig of 3200 ddr ram, 1 120mm case fan, g4 ti 4600.
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-07, 03:14 PM   #8
BigE4u
Fatal Error
 
BigE4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2004
Location: Texas
Posts: 522
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Make sure the video card has its own line from the psu... meaning nothing else connected to the other molex connectors for that line.
__________________
i5 2500k @ 4.0ghz
Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3 v2
Gskill RipjawsX 2x4gb pc3-1600
Seagate 500gb 7200rpm sata2
Zotac AMP GTX460 1gb
Win7 Ultimate_x64 Sp1
BigE4u is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-07-07, 05:22 PM   #9
jimmor
Registered User
 
jimmor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Scotland
Posts: 568
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daneel Olivaw
I have a 6800XT/LE AGP 128MB which I like a lot, and even without overclocking its still a very decent card. It can't run anything at max details now, but it still simply can run anything.

With the rig you have, I'd forget about overclocking, since you'll be going from slow to almost as slow. That 6800XT is going to be an easy 4 to 8 times faster than your Geforce4MX, with added support for every current game. Good cheap choice. The power draw is pretty low too, I would say you're fine with a 400W, but don't OC and have good case airflow, heat impacts on a PSU's performance too!
Hi Daneel, still obviously doing the rounds then !

It would actually be a lot better if umanzor was going for one of the old 6800LE's because it's default speeds of 325/700 are much better than the 300/533 speeds of the 6800XT being considered ?

The 6800LE also had the advantage that it's pipes could be usually unlocked from default of 8x1,4vp to anything between 12x1,5vp and the full 16x1,6vp level of a 6800gt. And it overclocked like hell, eg, my old 6800le still runs fine at 425/900 !

However the card in question is not a 6800le as I know it, so unlikely to provide any real performance, unless heavily overclocked above it's default 300/533 ---> if that's actually possible?



EDIT:,

The 6800xt at the link below would be a much better bet since it's default speeds are 350/800, and it appears to use same NV40 gpu as on original 6800le/nu/gt cards !

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applicati...7&body=REVIEWS

__________________
The more I know, the more I know I don't know

Intel P4 3.2 @ 3.85GHz (ASUS P4C800E-Deluxe)
BFG 6800GS (16x1,6vp) @ 300/430/1200.

Driver, 82.12 :-
Aquamark3, 75039
Codecreatures1, 90.8
3Dmark05 v120, 6195
3Dmark03 v360, 14334
3Dmark06 v102, 2949
3Dmark2001se v330, 23793.
jimmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-07, 12:45 AM   #10
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free
 
Rob_0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigE4u
Make sure the video card has its own line from the psu... meaning nothing else connected to the other molex connectors for that line.
Welp, just tried the card. it booted up with the system. Winxp wouldnt recognize the card, even though i got generic vga drivers so i could see the desktop.

I had the molex connector plugged to it, nothing else on the line.

turned pc off, and back on to do a driver install(after the nvidia drivers couldnt detect the card), and after being on some seconds, it trips the power supply.

So after some testing, if I dont plug the molex connector in , the system boots but no video. When I connect the molex, the power supply trips when I turn it on.

Its not the PS. It's a Coolmaster 450watt, with about 30 amps kicking. I even pulled the hd and cd rom connector and tried, still triped.

Im RMA'in it back to tigerdirect This is disappointing.

UPDATE: Ordered a FX 5900XT in hope that my power supply will run it. I have 17amp's on the 12volt side, hopefully that will do

Last edited by Rob_0126; 07-15-07 at 02:37 AM.
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 08:05 PM   #11
Daneel Olivaw
Northwood hugger
 
Daneel Olivaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
Location: Montreal
Posts: 1,244
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmor
...
It would actually be a lot better if umanzor was going for one of the old 6800LE's because it's default speeds of 325/700 are much better than the 300/533 speeds of the 6800XT being considered ?
...
You ARE kidding right, they made 6800XT that slow!!!!!?????? I had no idea!
__________________
-Intel Core2 Duo 4300 (3.0GHz) | Asus P5N-E SLI | 6GB Corsair CVS PC2-5300 | GF8800GT 512MB | Western Digital 1TB Raid0 | Antec SLK2600AMB | Antec Earthwatts 500W
-Intel Pentium4 2.4C (3.4GHz) | Asus P4P800 Dlx | 2GB Crucial Rendition PC-3200 | GF6800LE 128MB | Seagate 200GB | Antec Overture II | Antec TruePower 2.0 480W


Mild agnosticism —the view that the existence or nonexistence of God or gods is currently unknown but is not necessarily unknowable, therefore one will withhold judgment until/if more evidence is available. A weak agnostic would say "I don't know, but maybe you do."
Daneel Olivaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-07, 09:28 PM   #12
Rob_0126
Freedom is not free
 
Rob_0126's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: USA
Posts: 323
Default Re: Information about the 6800XT

Welp, the 5900xt runs fine. Guess I need a small nuke plant to run anything faster.
Rob_0126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New Massive Cyber-Attack an 'Industrial Vacuum Cleaner for Sensitive Information' News Archived News Items 0 05-28-12 12:00 PM
Moderation in an Age of Information Abundance & Hypervisibility News Archived News Items 0 05-27-12 01:10 PM
Is information a competitive differentiater? News Archived News Items 0 05-22-12 06:40 PM
It's the culture, stupid! How Atlassian maintains an open information culture News Archived News Items 0 05-11-12 06:30 AM
GeForce4 owners: Please post your TV encoder and board information ScuzziOne NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series 8 08-04-02 06:55 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:21 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.