Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-07, 09:46 PM   #25
BashfulTux

Default Re: Debian insight

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Is there a place that I can get the newest KDE?
You can try http://www.backports.org looks like they have version 3.5.7 built for stable which is the latest, otherwise you would need to dist-upgrade to testing or unstable to get the latest.

Code:
## Etch backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 01:19 AM   #26
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashfulTux
You can try http://www.backports.org looks like they have version 3.5.7 built for stable which is the latest, otherwise you would need to dist-upgrade to testing or unstable to get the latest.
Actually 3.5.7 is in unstable too. You'll have to go to experimental to get 3.92.0.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 08:49 AM   #27
BashfulTux

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
Actually 3.5.7 is in unstable too. You'll have to go to experimental to get 3.92.0.
In testing/unstable actually I run it, you both overlook the fact that DiscipleDOC is running a stable system which is why I pointed out the backports site so he can get software built for it. Now if it is the 3.92.0 (AKA KDE 4.0 beta 1) he is looking to install well there is not a hope in hell that will install on a stable system...
Old 08-20-07, 09:46 AM   #28
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
In testing/unstable actually I run it, you both overlook the fact that DiscipleDOC is running a stable system which is why I pointed out the backports site so he can get software built for it. Now if it is the 3.92.0 (AKA KDE 4.0 beta 1) he is looking to install well there is not a hope in hell that will install on a stable system...
My point was that "version 3.5.7 -- otherwise you would need to dist-upgrade to testing or unstable to get the latest" was incorrect. Switching to testing or unstable would not help. To get KDE newer than 3.5.7 you would have to get it from experimental.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 09:49 AM   #29
DiscipleDOC

No...I want a stable version of KDE. I do not want to test out any beta software.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-07, 10:05 AM   #30
BashfulTux

Quote:
No...I want a stable version of KDE. I do not want to test out any beta software.
You want the backports.org site I mentioned then... put the line I posted in your sources.list then update with either apt-get or aptitude depending on which you use then simulate an upgrade (apt-get -s upgrade not sure for aptitude don't use it) if everything looks like it is going to upgrade nicely then remove the simulation (-s for apt-get) and let it do it. If you have problems then post the output of the commands here so we can see it.
Old 08-20-07, 10:37 AM   #31
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
You want the backports.org site I mentioned then... put the line I posted in your sources.list then update with either apt-get or aptitude depending on which you use then simulate an upgrade (apt-get -s upgrade not sure for aptitude don't use it) if everything looks like it is going to upgrade nicely then remove the simulation (-s for apt-get) and let it do it. If you have problems then post the output of the commands here so we can see it.
Roger that. I will give this a go when I get home.

Another question: Is there a way to bind my window keys to do certain tasks? And is there a way to control the volume with my mm keyboard? I was able to do this in kubuntu, but I can not do this in debian. I'm pretty sure that I need ceratin apps installed.....
Old 08-21-07, 07:57 AM   #32
DiscipleDOC

Ok...I got that working last night. I have KDE 3.5.7 installed. Everything is working the way it should (still got some tweaking to do), and I'm learning a heck of a lot more than I did my first go at working with linux.

I also want to retract my previous statement about not liking this more than kubuntu...because it's starting to grow on me.

Anyway, my next project is to get compiz working, and then maybe look at getting my multimedia keyboard to work with debian.

I am really digging debian right now.

Old 08-21-07, 08:31 AM   #33
evilghost

Quote:
And Debian digs you..er...wait...what?
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 08:01 PM   #34
grey_1

Quote:
Ok...I got that working last night. I have KDE 3.5.7 installed. Everything is working the way it should (still got some tweaking to do), and I'm learning a heck of a lot more than I did my first go at working with linux.

I also want to retract my previous statement about not liking this more than kubuntu...because it's starting to grow on me.

Anyway, my next project is to get compiz working, and then maybe look at getting my multimedia keyboard to work with debian.

I knew it would.
Old 08-21-07, 08:10 PM   #35
evilghost

I GNU it would too.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 08:42 PM   #36
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I GNU it would too.
LOL, getting your mileage out of that ain't cha?