Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-07, 06:49 PM   #13
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
You mean different terminals? I've got at least three I think off the default install. Run level can be edited in /etc/inittab, if that's what you mean.

I don't see a soundcard in your sig, but 'alsaconf' will usually handle that duty, although alsa will see most newer cards as audigy 2s.
That worked! !
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-07, 07:13 PM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
That worked! !
Old 08-23-07, 05:23 AM   #15
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

From what I've learned during past two years of running 64-bit Debian GNU/Linux, there is no difference in stability, and no significant difference in speed. Compatibility issues exist mainly with proprietary components such as Flash you already mentioned, but also with some open source applications -- few even come from official Debian repository. However due to number of problematic applications this is hardly a show-stopper for everybody.

Debian comes with several 32-bit compatibility libraries which allow running most pre-compiled 32-bit executables. When this isn't enough, 32-bit chroot can be set up. Setting up the chroot isn't a problem, but maintaining it is just another unnecessary annoyance. 32-bit applications can be run transparently from "pure 64-bit" environment, but it requires some manual work.

Speed difference? I have this feeling that some applications run slower and some run faster. Generally speaking there is no difference, but multimedia-related tasks seem to benefit from me. While I wrote this artice about how optimisation with GCC switches won't do the trick, the figures also to tell about differences between 64-bit and 32-bit applications.

All in all I'd say ordinary user doesn't want to run pure 64-bit GNU/Linux just yet. Masochists like me can choose otherwise.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 01:59 PM   #16
grey_1

So far running 32 bit since I made this thread, I'm seeing no difference in speed or stability, as you said.

Once I get anywhere near your level of expertise I'll go Masochistic too.
Old 08-23-07, 03:18 PM   #17
Redeemed

I've yet to install 64-bit Kubuntu. I'll more than likely do that tonight when I get in. Just listening to DD and Grey talking about Linux is making me miss Kubuntu... a lot actually.

Okay, OKAY! I actually think penguins are cute too! There- happy I said it now? Good lord, what's happening to me???
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 04:26 PM   #18
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Okay, OKAY! I actually think penguins are cute too! There- happy I said it now? Good lord, what's happening to me???
Penguins are not cute. Cats are cute. FVWM FTW!

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 08:37 PM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
Penguins are not cute. Cats are cute. FVWM FTW!
FVWM? Gnome FTW!

I used to love KDE, then determined to give Gnome a shot. Powerful, uncluttered and very sweet.

My all time favorite was enlightenment for a while though, just for the eyecandy alone.
Old 08-24-07, 06:05 AM   #20
Redeemed

Just finishing making the first LiveCD... gonna' get the second one started and then go to bed... I'll let it burn overnight.

Old 08-24-07, 10:04 AM   #21
curaga
Hardcore Linuxist

Gnome? Fvwm? Xfce FTW!

Hehe..

But I just love Engange, the dock of Enlightement.. It has all the good sides of OS X dock (the looks) without the bad sides (drag accidentally one pixel away and the file is gone for good)
curaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 10:31 AM   #22
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Just finishing making the first LiveCD... gonna' get the second one started and then go to bed... I'll let it burn overnight.
You've been making love to that Crainger kid again, haven't you?

Sorry...couldn't resist....
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:01 PM   #23
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by curaga
Gnome? Fvwm? Xfce FTW!

Hehe..

But I just love Engange, the dock of Enlightement.. It has all the good sides of OS X dock (the looks) without the bad sides (drag accidentally one pixel away and the file is gone for good)
Xfce has come a long way..it's the only one lately that almost pulled me away from Gnome. But not yet.
Old 08-24-07, 04:59 PM   #24
Redeemed

BAH! I just tried loading into my Kubuntu LiveCD and nothing happened. It started to load the kernel... and then the screen went blank, and stayed blank. I waited a good half hour... nothing.

I'm thinking that it just doesn't like using DVI out so I'm going to try my anolog cable but that's quite the hassle. I do have another version of Kubuntu that I will try... but so far I'm not liking the hassle this is causing. Reminds me of the Win9x days...