Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-07, 05:56 PM   #25
DiscipleDOC

Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
BAH! I just tried loading into my Kubuntu LiveCD and nothing happened. It started to load the kernel... and then the screen went blank, and stayed blank. I waited a good half hour... nothing.

I'm thinking that it just doesn't like using DVI out so I'm going to try my anolog cable but that's quite the hassle. I do have another version of Kubuntu that I will try... but so far I'm not liking the hassle this is causing. Reminds me of the Win9x days...
Press F4 and chose a resolution. It should work after that.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 06:11 PM   #26
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Well... the initial splash screen and options menu does show up. But if I select to boot into safe graphics mode or the "regular" mode I get a window with a progress bar stating that it is initializing and loading the kernel... and then it all disappears and the screen goes black (though the light on the monitor stays green so it isn't going into standy). It is almost like Kubuntu just doesn't like the digital output (DVI)... you think it might be a resolution issue?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 06:37 PM   #27
carlos
In the fetal position

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Hi,

For those who've been using pure debian for a while, can I expect many compatibility issues, like with flash, on 64bit?

If so, what are your thoughts on 32bit vs 64 stability and speed wise?

Thanks in advance.
I am using a Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 on my main PC and stricly Debian "Lenny" and find X86 (32-bit) right now is much better just for codec and flash plugin support. Multimedia is a PITA with 64 bit even if there are ways, I don't find the pay off for using the AMD 64 kernel yet.

I suggest i386 arch until things progress. Just my thoughts.
Old 08-25-07, 12:29 PM   #28
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
LOL- that worked. I'm actually typing this in Konqueror though... and everything seems a lot snappier than the last time I ran Kubuntu. Though the previous time I was using an older version and it was 32-bit... this time I'm using the latest version and it is 64-bit. And I like it! Heck, even the Konqueror web browser is a lot faster than the previous version. I still don't like Konqueror though... think I'll install FF.

In fact, think I shall install both Kubuntu and FF... NOW!
Old 08-25-07, 01:16 PM   #29
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
I am using a Intel Core 2 Duo e6600 on my main PC and stricly Debian "Lenny" and find X86 (32-bit) right now is much better just for codec and flash plugin support. Multimedia is a PITA with 64 bit even if there are ways, I don't find the pay off for using the AMD 64 kernel yet.

I suggest i386 arch until things progress. Just my thoughts.
Thanks for the feedback, and totally agreed. I went with 32 bit not long after making this thread and am having to do none of the work arounds I needed in 64bit.

Stable, fast and fully usable is all I want.
Old 08-25-07, 02:48 PM   #30
Redeemed

Well, here's hoping I don't have any stability issues. It seemed VERY fast... but I have yet to dink around with it much...
Old 08-25-07, 02:51 PM   #31
carlos
In the fetal position

Yeah - I just installed a kernel from the "unstable" repo because nVidia drivers don't work with the latest kernel in "testing". Right now I have the 2.6.22-1-686-bigmem kernel installed. My system is super fast however my specs may have something to do with that...

- C2D e6600 = 2.4GHz
- nVidia 8600GTS
- 4GB of DDR2 RAM
- 3x 500GB S-ATA drives in RAID5 (Software RAID)
Old 08-25-07, 06:26 PM   #32
grey_1

I'm sure your specs have a little to do with it.

I haven't hand-rolled a kernel for ages, I'll be getting back to that soon also, I wish fresh ck patches were still coming out, but he has his reasons for getting away from it.

Old 08-25-07, 11:37 PM   #33
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlos
Yeah - I just installed a kernel from the "unstable" repo because nVidia drivers don't work with the latest kernel in "testing". Right now I have the 2.6.22-1-686-bigmem kernel installed. My system is super fast however my specs may have something to do with that...

- C2D e6600 = 2.4GHz
- nVidia 8600GTS
- 4GB of DDR2 RAM
- 3x 500GB S-ATA drives in RAID5 (Software RAID)
I'm using that kernel with the 64-bit version of debian. Everything is rock solid.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 02:04 AM   #34
Redeemed

Okay... the problem still persists.

If I boot from the LiveCD, the option to press "F4" is there, and it works perfectly. But as soon as I try to boot into my Kubuntu installation the screen goes black. Grub shows up perfectly fine... but if I chose to boot into Kubuntu it sounds like it is loading but the screen goes (and remains) blank and eventually goes into standby. I can boot into the command prompt no problem- only thing is I have no idea what to type in from there. Is there a way to modify my boot options so I can chose a proper resolution to boot with?
Old 08-27-07, 03:49 AM   #35
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Okay... the problem still persists.

If I boot from the LiveCD, the option to press "F4" is there, and it works perfectly. But as soon as I try to boot into my Kubuntu installation the screen goes black. Grub shows up perfectly fine... but if I chose to boot into Kubuntu it sounds like it is loading but the screen goes (and remains) blank and eventually goes into standby. I can boot into the command prompt no problem- only thing is I have no idea what to type in from there. Is there a way to modify my boot options so I can chose a proper resolution to boot with?
I doubt its your rez.

'sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Look for the driver..I think kubuntu uses "nv" by default, change it to "vesa", save and startx. If it's "vesa" by default, just try the other..good luck.

p.s. I had 0 problems after moving to debian.
Old 08-27-07, 05:38 AM   #36
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I doubt its your rez.

'sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf'

Look for the driver..I think kubuntu uses "nv" by default, change it to "vesa", save and startx. If it's "vesa" by default, just try the other..good luck.

p.s. I had 0 problems after moving to debian.
I tried that- entered it just as you had it- but it said that it didn't recognize the command and then that it couldn't locate the file. So I went into Nano hoping I could manually navigate to the xorg.conf file just as I would in QBASIC in DOS but that was a no-go.

So... just for the heck of it I typed "startx" and lo-and-behold, it worked. I'm actually typing this to you from Konqueror (FF hasn't finished dl'ing yet).

Okay... next to get the appropriate drivers for my 8800- I still have that PM you sent me I believe so I'll try that.

As to debian... isn't it for more "advanced" linux users though?