Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-27-07, 08:11 AM   #37
grey_1

Default Re: 32 or 64 bit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I tried that- entered it just as you had it- but it said that it didn't recognize the command and then that it couldn't locate the file. So I went into Nano hoping I could manually navigate to the xorg.conf file just as I would in QBASIC in DOS but that was a no-go.

So... just for the heck of it I typed "startx" and lo-and-behold, it worked. I'm actually typing this to you from Konqueror (FF hasn't finished dl'ing yet).

Okay... next to get the appropriate drivers for my 8800- I still have that PM you sent me I believe so I'll try that.

As to debian... isn't it for more "advanced" linux users though?
After what you've fought with in kubuntu debian will be a breeze for you.
Old 08-27-07, 01:57 PM   #38
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
After what you've fought with in kubuntu debian will be a breeze for you.
lol- I still don't fully get how to use the command prompt. It is quite a bit different than DOS- yet it also seems very similar. As far as the GUI, that doesn't seem difficult at all.

Now... my video card drivers... still trying to get those installed...
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 03:51 PM   #39
grey_1

Quote:
lol- I still don't fully get how to use the command prompt. It is quite a bit different than DOS- yet it also seems very similar. As far as the GUI, that doesn't seem difficult at all.

Now... my video card drivers... still trying to get those installed...
Debian was a breeze. Still had to install all the same packages, but no glitches or instability.
Old 08-27-07, 04:18 PM   #40
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
I tried that- entered it just as you had it- but it said that it didn't recognize the command and then that it couldn't locate the file. So I went into Nano hoping I could manually navigate to the xorg.conf file just as I would in QBASIC in DOS but that was a no-go.

So... just for the heck of it I typed "startx" and lo-and-behold, it worked. I'm actually typing this to you from Konqueror (FF hasn't finished dl'ing yet).

Okay... next to get the appropriate drivers for my 8800- I still have that PM you sent me I believe so I'll try that.

As to debian... isn't it for more "advanced" linux users though?
Redeemed,
Use this if you're still stuck with getting the driver to work. I used this when I first installed Kubuntu.
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-07, 03:08 AM   #41
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
Redeemed,
Use this if you're still stuck with getting the driver to work. I used this when I first installed Kubuntu.
Thanks DOC. I'm in Vista right now, but I'll boot into Kubuntu before bed tonight and give that a go.
Old 08-28-07, 05:52 AM   #42
Redeemed

Quote:
Redeemed,
Bah. No go. It just says I'm downloading a binary and from there does nothing. I noticed in adept it lists an nvidia driver. I'm downloading that. It also specifies a command I'm supposed to enter to "activate" it or what not. Gonna' try this...
Old 08-28-07, 06:22 AM   #43
Redeemed

Great. Now X wont even start. And the command it gave me to restore my previous config doesn't work either.

*sigh*
Old 08-28-07, 08:58 AM   #44
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Great. Now X wont even start. And the command it gave me to restore my previous config doesn't work either.

*sigh*
Did you backup your xorg config before you started? If so, cp you backup to xorg.conf and change your "nvidia" to "nv" and then you should be good to go.

Do that and then uninstall you NVIDIA drivers:
Code:
# sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86_64-100.14.11-pkg2.run --uninstall
and then start over.

Old 08-28-07, 12:54 PM   #45
Redeemed

Well supposedly it backed up the original for me... but when I enter the command to restore that original it says no such file or directory exists.
Old 08-28-07, 01:34 PM   #46
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Well supposedly it backed up the original for me... but when I enter the command to restore that original it says no such file or directory exists.
CD into that directory, ahd then ls to see what files are named "xorg.conf".....you may have one with th "~" in it or something like that. If that does not work, then you probably need to do a reinstall of that root directory.
Old 08-28-07, 01:50 PM   #47
Redeemed

Quote:
CD into that directory, ahd then ls to see what files are named "xorg.conf".....you may have one with th "~" in it or something like that. If that does not work, then you probably need to do a reinstall of that root directory.
LOL- sounds like fun.

Thanks, I'll give that a whirl.