Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-07, 11:09 PM   #121
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

Default Re: Several reasons to believe Bioshock has been "console-ised" (PC tweaks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
You dudes seem to forget that it was console priority game. And with rampant piracy how can you blame them? In this day of a game selling 1million+ copies on the 360 and 50 thousand on the PC you all better get use to it.
This man speaks the truth. I had no idea the sales difference was that remarkable though, its no wonder developers focus on consoles first.

You're all terrible people and are ruining gaming.

*tiptoes away and checks minonova to see if Bioshock has been released yet*
bugmeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:17 PM   #122
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Default Re: Several reasons to believe Bioshock has been "console-ised" (PC tweaks)

some people just can't appericate the piece of art. it's far more than a mere dx10, aa, low res textures, it's all about how it's being designed, built and the atomosphere, style, etc. it's stunning.

hats off to 2k developers. all bugs/problems will be fixed in timing manner, no problem for me. just note that all upcoming games will be likely to have low res in some area... it's very common. why would you want to waste money/time on creating high res for small bathroom where it's not gonna be in game for whole time. that money/time is better off for something else. and this has been mentioned way back that it's being developed on x360 and will be ported to pc. you should at least be glad it did made to pc and is decent with few things changed for pc and get dx10 treatment for some cool effects like water than just a plain port.

otherwise, go and make your own game to satisfy you if you think it's easy.

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:20 PM   #123
Tork64

I own a PC and a XBOX 360 and played both versions of the demo and the PC version does look slightly better without any AA and much better with high AA turned on. I tried hooking up the XBOX 360 controller to my pc just to test it out and it does work great with bioshock, but Keyboard is the way to go here. So in the end the PC Version is better for me.
Samsung Widescreen 920bw
Vista / XP Pro
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:22 PM   #124
bugmeplz
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tork64
I own a PC and a XBOX 360 and played both versions of the demo and the PC version does look slightly better without any AA and much better with high AA turned on. I tried hooking up the XBOX 360 controller to my pc just to test it out and it does work great with bioshock, but Keyboard is the way to go here. So in the end the PC Version is better for me.
How did you get AA to work? Just force it via control panel? I would try it but don't have the game.
bugmeplz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:36 PM   #125
Tork64

Quote:
Originally Posted by bugmeplz
How did you get AA to work? Just force it via control panel? I would try it but don't have the game.

it works but only on XP at the moment, yep through the control panel.

some screenshots

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0-54-13-60.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0-59-35-18.jpg
http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a2...0-52-59-60.jpg
Samsung Widescreen 920bw
Vista / XP Pro
Tork64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 11:49 PM   #126
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Wait you are a kid if you can't afford a 8800GTX? Ok let me go tell all my friends who own only laptops because they game on consoles that they are kids yet they probably make more then your entire family combined. Hell, I probably make more then your house hold you little ****.

To anyone that ignores this game because of lack of AA or it seems consolish, grow the **** up.

I ****ing hate cmd... It has no AA and seem console-ish.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 12:21 AM   #127
hapooh

I'm playing the PC version on Vista 32... and I am enjoying it very much.

It sucks I can't enable AA in Vista. I haven't tried XP yet, but then I lose some of the supposed dx10 effects. Though honestly I played in both dx9 and dx10 and there isn't much difference.

This is definately a console port. Game play is consoley, limited interaction with objects in the environment, menus are designed for game pads, levels are not as large as you would otherwise see on a PC only title. All in all though a very good game.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 12:51 AM   #128
Unstable_Hero
tragic desire

Quote:
Originally Posted by robngamer
Sorry Magus, Didn't mean to pick on your apparent boyfriend.
I don't want to be mean but no aa is really bad for todays games, for me it ruins the immersion a little when i see jagged edges especially on quest items. It just reminds me that im sitting in front of a monitor ya know? Other than that though the game is really immersive im really enjoying it and i hope you are
intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 3.2GHz, EVGA GTX 295, G.SKILL 4GB(2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 5-5-5-15, 750gb WD, 2 160gb hd's R0, 74gb raptor, ASUS P5K DELUXE/WIFI-AP LGA 775 Intel P35, Xfi XTREME MUSIC, Gateway 24' 1920 1200*
Unstable_Hero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-22-07, 06:04 AM   #129
RuneSR

Actually there is every reason to believe that Bioshock was designed primarily for the XBox 360, just like Oblivion. As described before in this thread the textures in Bioshock are often of an unacceptable low quality (judged by the demo, but weighing in at nearly 2GB the full version probably won't be much different - but I would be glad to be wrong).

Also try to compare wood textures, which I found quite interesting:

Wood texture in high-end native PC game (Gothic 3):

Wood texture in Bioshock:

Both pictures were taken using highest possible texture resolutions in 1280x960 and reduced to 800x600 (actually 512MB video ram is in use in Gothic 3) on my 512MB 7900GTX.

Furthermore Anandtech once published that the cpu in XBox 360 was not much more powerful than a P4 1,4 GHz - but the article was quickly removed (pressure from MS?). Low processing power of consoles would explain the low poly count in for example Bioshock models. It would also explain the difficulty in porting high poly games like X3 Reunion and Gothic 3 to consoles.

There has been a lot of hype regarding cpu power in Bioshock, but using single-core A64 4000+ and 7900GTX in a heavily loaded area I found the following (all video settings maxed out, no FSAA and vsync, using FRAPS):

2048x1536 = 11 FPS
1600x1200 = 16 FPS
1280x960 = 23 FPS
1024x768 = 29 FPS
800x600 = 38 FPS
640x480 = 44 FPS

To understand these numbers it is important to know that the cpu works independently of the screen resolution. Thus my cpu can provide the video card with at least 44 FPS, but already in 800x600 the video card does not have the power to render all the images that the cpu can proces. Adding a more powerful cpu would do almost nothing, since I am bottle-necked by the video card (this may count also for 640x480 res). So unless you are using 8800Ultra in SLI :-) Bioshock does not need dual or quad core - it simply needs a very fast video card (since 8800GTX normally is twice as fast as 7900GTX, I probably need 8800GTX to achieve about 44FPS in 1280x960 - and since my cpu can deliver at least 44 FPS, even with 8800GTX I would see no reason for a cpu-upgrade).

If Bioshock needed more cpu power, but had plenty of video power, I would have obtained results similar to these:

Source: http://www.hardwaretidende.dk/hard/a.../08/03/7740479

So it is quite easy to examine if a game needs more cpu or video power.

But let's end this message by adding a few more G3 images just to remind us of how great PC games actually look like:

Please note - I do like Bioshock quite a lot and I did not write this message to illustrate the Bioshock is a bad game - I only wrote the message to argue that Bioshock is a XBox 360 game that has been ported to the PC.
RuneSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 06:29 AM   #130
SwedX
*BANNED*

Quote:
Guys just ignore this character. In another thread he was moaning and groaning because he thought he should be able to max out Bioshock with his 7600GT and was pissed when he found out he couldnt.

Since he is just a kid he obviously cant afford to go out and get a 8800GTX so he is stuck with his Toy box console version and he will defend it and justify it just like any other console kid in denial. LOL.
Absolutely right and never listening to magus and his boy friends as they are the biggest console lovers there is..WTF cant these trolls go back to the console furums .. the douchbags only wants to slam the Pc.

In the end they know that a crappy little weak wannabie Pc cant be compared to the real deal.
SwedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:09 AM   #131
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Guys just ignore this character. In another thread he was moaning and groaning because he thought he should be able to max out Bioshock with his 7600GT and was pissed when he found out he couldnt.
I just wanted to run the game on high settings at a lower res, not achieve a new resolution and graphical world record, ass.

Quote:
Since he is just a kid he obviously cant afford to go out and get a 8800GTX so he is stuck with his Toy box console version and he will defend it and justify it just like any other console kid in denial. LOL.
I'm glad that you mommy and daddy are wealthy enough to go buy you a 8800GTX just whenever you want. Unfortunately, I'm a college kid. I can't afford too much because the University and Government rape my bank account all year long. So run along now Junior, mommy and daddy would want to catch you playing in the road again now would they?

I believe I can make an accurate comparison when I can play the 360 version on my LCD and compare with High-Res screenies on the same screen. Unless FRAPS or PrintScr downgrades the game to 640x480 and Low Graphic Settings just to take a screenshot lol.

If you wanna last around here Junior, get off your high horse . . . or else you'll get knocked down here with the rest of us soon enough.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 11:11 AM   #132
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedX
Absolutely right and never listening to magus and his boy friends as they are the biggest console lovers there is..WTF cant these trolls go back to the console furums .. the douchbags only wants to slam the Pc.

In the end they know that a crappy little weak wannabie Pc cant be compared to the real deal.
Read my last post. I think I'm gonna come up with nicknames for all the PC fanbois . . . So robngamer can be "Junior" and SwedX can be "Little Stacy".
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote