Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-24-07, 12:23 PM   #229
hapooh

Default Re: Several reasons to believe Bioshock has been "console-ised" (PC tweaks)

Going forwared, You are going to see 90% of PC games originate from console origins. Also, developers are not writing the game to the potential of the PC but to that of the console. This isn't too bad because today's consoles offer a lot of flexibility for excellent games, like oblivion and bioshock.

Thus the point is if games are only marginally better on the PC, I see the trend moving to where even fewer people will choose to game on the PC.

For those who continue to game on the PC, you're not going to need to upgrade for some time, because your current rig from circa 2006 will play the games just fine.

There are of course those (myself included) that see PC gaming as a hobby and will upgrade there PC for the sake of upgrading, but not for really making games play that much better.
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 12:52 PM   #230
|MaguS|

Default Re: Several reasons to believe Bioshock has been "console-ised" (PC tweaks)

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh
Also, developers are not writing the game to the potential of the PC but to that of the console.
While that is true thats not the only thing stopping from PC games from taking full advantage of PC Hardware, it's also the PCs fault. PC developers have to make their game capable of running on a varried amount of hardware and believe it or not most of us on this forum are the minority when it comes to PC configurations. Look at the Steam Surveys most people are running low end graphics cards, blame them before you blame a console.

You have people who go to Best Buy or Dell and buy a PC for $700 and expect it to play any PC Game off the shelf, developers have to target their software for those people aswell. That is why I think Crysis wont sell that well, if the requirements are too high many poeple just wont be able to run it or wont bother due to it looking far worse then what they have seen.

Take Six_Storm for instance (no offense man) he wants to game on his PC and even tried to play Bioshock but in the end it ran poorly and to get it to run smooth on his machine he had to lower the settings to the point were it would look worse then just playing it on his X360. And he probably has a better PC then the majority of PC Gamers.

Take a look at the top 3 GPUs... not nearly the greatest, suprising though the 8800 is number 4.

NVIDIA GeForce 6600
NVIDIA GeForce 7600
NVIDIA GeForce FX 5200
Old 08-24-07, 01:04 PM   #231
Severian126
Y SO SRS?

I'll chime in on this as well.

It also has to do with the expectations people have nowadays for the price they are paying. Taking a look at the current generation consoles, they are pretty beefy by all standards for something you'd pay 300-500 dollars for. The games looks incredible, and plays well without any hassle on compatibility and the likes.

General consumers will expect something like this in return when they go out and plunk $1000 on a PC. I'm paying this much, it should be better than the 360 or Ps3, amiright? Unfortunately no.

I think as newer generation of consoles appear, more gamers will probably lean towards the console side of things as the price/performance ratio is lessened with each generation. PC gaming requires a lot of other factors to look at. Driver issues, OS compatibility, hardware, etc. that is pretty daunting to the average gamer. As well factor in the cost of getting a rig that can equal the performance capabilities of the PS3/360.

On the plus side though, as technology in the PC advances, the necessity of gamers having to constantly upgrade to get some decent performance has been stretched out a bit. My old PC with the 6800 Ultra performed well for many years, and I expect my current rig to last me quite a long time without needing to upgrade.

So as consoles start becoming more powerful, PC gaming/technology will adapt and I think it will be beneficial towards everyone.

All in all, I still prefer gaming on the PC. But playing NBA2k vs someone over Live is still far better on consoles.

And in the end, as consoles gets more powerful, consolizing won't be necessarily a bad thing.
Processor: Core 2 Extreme QX6850 3.0GHz 8MB Cache 1066MHz FSB - OC @ 3.2 GHz Liquid Cooled
Memory: 4GB Low Latency DDR2 Performance SDRAM at 1066MHz - 2 x 1024MB
Motherboard: NVIDIA nForce 680i SLI Motherboard
System Drive: Extreme Performance (RAID 0) - 320GB (2 x 160GB) Serial ATA 1.5Gb/s 10,000 RPM w/ 2 x 16MB Cache
Storage Drive: 500GB Serial ATA 3Gb/s 7,200 RPM w/ 16MB Cache
Power Supply: Alienware® 1000 Watt Multi-GPU Approved Power Supply
Sound Card: Creative Sound Blaster X-FI

XBOX LIVE: Kungfujoe126 - Catch me on NBA 2K9!
PSN: Severian126
Steam: Sever126

Currently Playing: Fallout 3 (PC), NBA 2k9! (360), Dead Space (PS3), Silent Hill Homecomings (360), Fable 2 (360)

Quote:
Do you know what the chain of command is? It's the chain I go get and beat you with until you understand who is in command here.
Severian126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:12 PM   #232
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by hapooh

The only real advantage of gaming on the PC right now will be better use of physics. Crysis will be an example of that. But next gen consoles will eat up that advantage too, and you'll see the final nail to really kill off PC gaming.
wow, is that that magical nail that supposed to kill PC when PSX was out? or maybe the one after xbox? PS2? 360? or maybe PS3?

idiots been prophecing end of PC gaming since the first console. Its not gonna happen.
Old 08-24-07, 02:23 PM   #233
SwedX
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
wow, is that that magical nail that supposed to kill PC when PSX was out? or maybe the one after xbox? PS2? 360? or maybe PS3?

idiots been prophecing end of PC gaming since the first console. Its not gonna happen.
So true and what else is MS games for windows iniative the devs take with open arms..can it be to push for even better more Pc gaming godness/Sales or are they just doing it couse they want to lose money LOL

The idiots as usual just is full of crap..Everyone knows that Pc gaming is in a upsving, it can only getting better from here!

And to some who think Crysis will sell 2 copies or less couse it will cater to the high end better get the record straigt. Both Farcry and FEAR sold ****loads of copies and these games dident run well on the highest high end when it was realeased..if a game is good it sell no matter what!

I am confident that Crysis will be one of the best selling FPS of all time

So go back to your stupid craptoy boxes and speak to them maybe they listening to all this POS you ppl spill out.
SwedX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:39 PM   #234
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwedX
I am confident that Crysis will be one of the best selling FPS of all time
I bet you it wont sell more then Half-Life 1, Half-Life2, Halo, Halo 2 or Halo 3. Hell I bet you it wont sell over 2 million copies (probably will slightly break 1, if that).
Old 08-24-07, 02:41 PM   #235
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I bet you it wont sell more then Half-Life 1, Half-Life2, Halo, Halo 2 or Halo 3. Hell I bet you it wont sell over 2 million copies (probably will slightly break 1, if that).

Vanguard is my most favorite game ever.
/agree

/disagree
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:44 PM   #236
hapooh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13

Let me rephrase .... It's not that PC game market has been getting worse to attribute to the decline.. so much as consoles have been getting better..

With each generation of console you are finding that hardware wise a console looks a lot like a PC (minus mouse and keyboard).

It is idiotic to say PC gaming will completely die, but I think more precisely what I am predicting is that PC gaming will become a niche market. There's a niche market for people who buy Cessna's, however, the vast majority of us simply fly on the air lines.

At some point the effort that went into making the next generation GPU for the PC, will be moved exclusively into GPU's for mainstream devices such as consoles, cell phones, and PDA's.

It's not a perfect example, but with ATI's current 2000 series, it's like the basically abandoned the high-end market to only stick with the mainstream.

How many years until both Nvidia and ATI stop producing GTX's and Ultras and XTX's?
hapooh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-24-07, 02:55 PM   #237
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Take Six_Storm for instance (no offense man) he wants to game on his PC and even tried to play Bioshock but in the end it ran poorly and to get it to run smooth on his machine he had to lower the settings to the point were it would look worse then just playing it on his X360. And he probably has a better PC then the majority of PC Gamers.
It wasn't that Bioshock looked back on my PC, the performance was terrible. As I've said earlier in the thread, I've been looking at high-res screenies from the PC version and it looks good. Heck, even my rig running the demo "looks" good, but it doesn't perform well. If the 360 version can look just as good as the PC version on the best rig out there AND perform like it's supposed to, why not get the 360 version?

BTW, even @ 800x600 with Medium Settings, I still got 20FPS lol.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-07, 02:57 PM   #238
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
It wasn't that Bioshock looked back on my PC, the performance was terrible. As I've said earlier in the thread, I've been looking at high-res screenies from the PC version and it looks good. Heck, even my rig running the demo "looks" good, but it doesn't perform well. If the 360 version can look just as good as the PC version on the best rig out there AND perform like it's supposed to, why not get the 360 version?

BTW, even @ 800x600 with Medium Settings, I still got 20FPS lol.
Well it ran poorly because you didn't lower the settings further which would have made it look bad.