Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-07, 01:55 PM   #37
3DBrad

Default Re: Post your Bioshock benchmarks here:

Quote:
Originally Posted by robngamer
Guys using the latest Beta drivers under both XP and VISTA I no longer get the FPS issue when using Vsync to where your frames are either at 30 or 60.

I can now run with Vsync on and I dont have the issue any longer under either OS.

You guys should try it. Vsync off looks like garbage with the screen tearing.

There is such a misconception about Vsync. As long as the game is not double buffering your minimum FPS will not be affected.
Yeah, I'll probably just run it at 1280x01024 (with no scaling, so it's per pixel) until the FOV issue is fixed.
Old 08-21-07, 04:24 PM   #38
Acrobat

I can't play it with my 8800GTX.
Acrobat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 05:21 PM   #39
bknblk
Filthy Pinko

Wow, this is sad. I was looking forward to trying it out when I got home today, but I am running a socket 478 3.06, 6800 Ultra AGP, and 2GB of ram. It looks like I don't have a prayer. Yeah, I know, antique system. No time to build. Got a new lappy with an 8600 in it, maybe that will play it, lol.
The whole idea of a Palestinian nation and a Palestinian people is an invention of Arab propaganda. Arafat was himself an Egyptian. The only people to have lived continuously on the land from time immemorial are Jews. So many others have conquered, ruled, thrived and ultimately perished there that the list would take hundreds of pages. A mere sample would include: Byzantines, Persians, Arabs, Turks, Circassians, Kurds, Abbassids (Iraqis), Egyptians, Kharezmians (Genghis Khan), Mamluks, Mongols, Latins (Crusaders), Ottomans, French and English.

It is not and never was Palestinian land.

"If we ever forget that we're One Nation Under God,
then we will be a nation gone under."....Ronald Reagan

"You guys are still crying about Fox News? Damn you little sandy vagina metro sexual emos need to grow a pair of balls."....UDawg(FTMFW)
bknblk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 04:18 PM   #40
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkJedi664
I don't get how people with LCD monitors play with V-Sync off...just too painful to watch. FPS junkies I guess.
Who what when? since when does lcd have a vsynch? While there is a "refresh", its not a global one nore is it one a game can synch with. vsynch does nothing for LCD screens, if its doing something, something on your system is borked.

Havnt heard from many peeps who have tried mid end systems yet. I have a 2800xp with EVGAs overclocked 7800GS card in it, kinda curious how far it can be taken.
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 05:26 PM   #41
3DBrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
Who what when? since when does lcd have a vsynch? While there is a "refresh", its not a global one nore is it one a game can synch with. vsynch does nothing for LCD screens, if its doing something, something on your system is borked.

Havnt heard from many peeps who have tried mid end systems yet. I have a 2800xp with EVGAs overclocked 7800GS card in it, kinda curious how far it can be taken.
Don't be silly, 98% of LCDs are at 60hz, and therefore, if the FPS go above 60fps, then the image starts to "tear" because part of the screen is the last frame, and part of the screen is part of the new frame that was just rendered.

In Bioshock, this can clearly be observed at the beginning of the demo where you're going up in the "sphere" and that "thing" attacks the sphere, causing the sphere to light up with blue lights. If Vsync is off, and the FPS are above 60 or below, then the whole screen starts to flicker, one part being blue the other being the regular color.
Old 08-22-07, 05:44 PM   #42
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo
Don't be silly, 98% of LCDs are at 60hz, and therefore, if the FPS go above 60fps, then the image starts to "tear" because part of the screen is the last frame, and part of the screen is part of the new frame that was just rendered.

In Bioshock, this can clearly be observed at the beginning of the demo where you're going up in the "sphere" and that "thing" attacks the sphere, causing the sphere to light up with blue lights. If Vsync is off, and the FPS are above 60 or below, then the whole screen starts to flicker, one part being blue the other being the regular color.
Tearing happens any time the frame rate doesnt match the refresh rate. It doesn't have to exceed it.

But yeah, that scene is terrible without vsync.

Its too bad the game runs so much slower with it on.

I had to turn it off to get smooth frame rates in some areas (vsync gave me low 20's in some places, with it off I got around 40).
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-07, 06:06 PM   #43
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoudazo
Don't be silly, 98% of LCDs are at 60hz,
I have never seen my lcd tear. Also LCD does not have a refresh. There is still delays for pixels to change colors, but the display is not refresh bound like CRT is. 60hz is listed for compatibility reasons (I would bet games and programs alike would break if refresh was reported back at 0hz).

Edit: Actually a little bit more info. The 60hz isn't just for compatibility, if you are using a VGA connection instead of DVI-D, the signal is analog and thus output at 60hz.

How ever refresh is strictly tied to updating the entire screen, a frame if you will. LCD's do not refresh the screen, pixels are in an "always on" state. They do require time to change colors, but that time is not determined by a specific number. The time needed is determined by what ever color the pixel needs to change to and is not reported to the computer in any way.
jeffmd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 09:25 AM   #44
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffmd
I have never seen my lcd tear. Also LCD does not have a refresh. There is still delays for pixels to change colors, but the display is not refresh bound like CRT is. 60hz is listed for compatibility reasons (I would bet games and programs alike would break if refresh was reported back at 0hz).

Edit: Actually a little bit more info. The 60hz isn't just for compatibility, if you are using a VGA connection instead of DVI-D, the signal is analog and thus output at 60hz.

How ever refresh is strictly tied to updating the entire screen, a frame if you will. LCD's do not refresh the screen, pixels are in an "always on" state. They do require time to change colors, but that time is not determined by a specific number. The time needed is determined by what ever color the pixel needs to change to and is not reported to the computer in any way.
You saved yourself with that edit. A game played without vsync will tear regardless of what monitor it is hooked up to. There is this little thing called a framebuffer. Read up on it here.

Edit: On a related note, does anyone know if BioShock uses double or tripple buffering? If it's double by default that would explain the huge drop in frames when it's enabled. I'd like to find out.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-23-07, 09:42 AM   #45
ASUSEN7900GTX

so how do you guys benchmark it are you using fraps or is there a built in bench?
Asus P6t deluxe V2

"be to others as you want others to be against you"
some wiseass came up with it
ASUSEN7900GTX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 09:51 AM   #46
Eliminator
The Man With Brisk

fraps
BFG GTX 280 OC2 1GB @ 729/1512/2538
Dell 2405FPW 24"
3DMark: Vantage - P15397 | 06 - 18734
Eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 10:05 AM   #47
Alucard

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamK47
Edit: On a related note, does anyone know if BioShock uses double or tripple buffering? If it's double by default that would explain the huge drop in frames when it's enabled. I'd like to find out.
It's double by default . You can force triple buffering through the nvidia control panel . Sometimes the game boots without vsync enabled and therefore the driver cannot enable triple buffering . If that happens just turn vsync on, apply a different resolution and then back to that u use
Alucard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-07, 03:30 PM   #48
Dayoflayo

Hello. Is it normal that i've got only between 35 and 40 fps with this :
res 1080x1050
e6700
2x 1go BALLISTIX DDR2 pc5300
8800gts 320mb

i've got the last forceware.
thx
Dayoflayo is offline   Reply With Quote