Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-20-07, 09:08 PM   #1
m0dY

Exclamation ANY?! Nvidia driver v100.14.11 support for Fedora 7 XEN Linux Kernel?!

Hello,

After trying many patches, I could not find a way to have NVIDIA v100.14.11 driver or any other driver version to get running under Fedora 7 XEN kernels.

Any help would be appreciated.

,Thanks.
- m0dY
m0dY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 08:32 AM   #2
bjlockie

Default Re: ANY?! Nvidia driver v100.14.11 support for Fedora 7 XEN Linux Kernel?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by m0dY
Hello,

After trying many patches, I could not find a way to have NVIDIA v100.14.11 driver or any other driver version to get running under Fedora 7 XEN kernels.

Any help would be appreciated.

,Thanks.
- m0dY
There is a patch in this forum.
bjlockie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 12:23 PM   #3
m0dY

Default Re: ANY?! Nvidia driver v100.14.11 support for Fedora 7 XEN Linux Kernel?!

Can you please point to it, also wether you tried it or not as all the topics i see in the forum ends that most users does not succeed in applying the patches or getting it to work.

,Thanks.
- m0dY
m0dY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 05:31 AM   #4
Msquared

Fedora 7

I had problems building the patched driver for Fedora 7, and in the end I gave up. I was quite irritated, because the open source nv driver would sometimes cause the video card to turn off the monitor, and I couldn't bring it back short of a reboot.

Fedora 8

Good news: the nv driver in the upcoming Fedora 8 seems to be working better on my system than the one in Fedora 7.

Bad news: I don't know how good its 3D support is.

Still, it's an improvement for me. I was primarily wanting the nVidia driver to work because the open source nv driver was problematic, but it looks like there are improvements afoot in the open source nv driver.

Alternative - FreshRPMs

If you use your machine part-time for Xen and part-time for gaming, you should install the nVidia driver from FreshRPMs. That is a nifty setup that will build the driver for you every time you upgrade the kernel, etc. Even better, if it can't build for the kernel you are using, it will fall back to the open source nv driver.

This means that you can boot into Xen and you will automatically get the open source nv driver (because it can't build for a Xen kernel), and you can boot into a non-Xen kernel and get the nVidia driver.

That will probably work for me, because I wouldn't use Xen while gaming, and I don't need 3D when I'm developing (I'm using Xen for development and testing, primarily).
Msquared is offline   Reply With Quote