Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-27-10, 12:36 PM   #565
logan

Default Re: BioShock Full Version Feedback Thread

Well, it took about a year, but I finally managed to beat BioShock. I bought it back in May of 2009, but I had some technical issues under wine - the game took forever to save and load and it'd lock up on me every other save (and I love saving). I played as long as I was able, but it was just too much work after a while. I recently built myself a second machine for my main desktop and turned my previous system into a Windows gaming system and this was one of the first games I installed. Unfortunately the technical issues continued.. It was freezing up on me every 15-25 minutes under Windows 7 x64 and if I didn't find some way to kill the game in the first second after it froze, my whole machine would lock up solid and my raid would be unhappy. ;/ I just began playing the game in 10-15 minute segments and hit the power button (which initiated a shutdown) if my games ran long and I froze up. It didn't happen all the time, but it was enough to take some enjoyment out of the game.

I liked the environment, it was definitely unique, but I just had a hard time getting into the game. I think those technical issues and the huge amount of time between when I started and then continued the game really screwed it up. I began to enjoy BioShock alot more after making it to Sander Cohen and I really loved the last part of the game, with the whole realization and transformation bit. I thought it was a solid story, one of those that you could almost take as is and turn it into a good movie (so long as Andrzej Bartkowiak and Paul Anderson don't get their hands on it). I once harvested a little sister, but I had to reload the previous save and go the other way.. As creepy as they were, I just couldn't leave it like that. :P I had a hard time deciding what to invest my adam points in. I think I should have invested more in utility/strength/other slots and less in bees. And I kept running out of ammo. I don't know why, but I only started using the bow at the end of the game, and it took me a long time to realize you could use Telekinesis to inflict serious damage on enemies, even with simple things like chairs.. I always just used it to fetch ammo and other things that were just out of reach. I thought it was great how you could hack turrets and cameras. That's something I used alot, but I could never do anything more than like 30% on the hackometer. It's a good thing there were alot of hacking tools and buyouts or I'd have never made it into those safes. I also liked how there was so much to explore that wasn't part of the main quest. I was looking at the BioShock wiki the other day and I think the only thing I missed was the Waltz in Cohen's apartment. Sounds like it would have been cool, and that there were some goodies there. I always enjoyed when Tenenbaum would radio in and I would have liked a few more characters you could interact with, or help, or they'd help you, even if they were totally off their rocker. Atlas was always there, but he wasn't... It was kindof a lonely game.

I have a feeling I'll replay this sometime soon and I'll probably enjoy it more. Hopefully the freezes stay away when that happens.
logan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 03:23 PM   #566
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

nice!
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 04:00 PM   #567
Redeemed

So finally started replaying this, so far loving it. Never did beat it. Got so far and just lost interest. Maybe this time I'll actually beat it.

However I'm curious- is there a way to force AA in this game? I don't recall any from the in-game menu and forcing via CCC doesn't seem to work.

Thanks ya'll!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 04:26 PM   #568
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed View Post
So finally started replaying this, so far loving it. Never did beat it. Got so far and just lost interest. Maybe this time I'll actually beat it.

However I'm curious- is there a way to force AA in this game? I don't recall any from the in-game menu and forcing via CCC doesn't seem to work.

Thanks ya'll!
I could never get AA working on my ATI hardware. Great game regardless though.
Old 12-12-10, 05:01 PM   #569
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1 View Post
I could never get AA working on my ATI hardware. Great game regardless though.
heh

Not too worried about it, game does look fine as is. And is very enjoyable. I remember when this game was the talk of gaming forums, the videos showcasing the water and how it reacts, etc. Graphics definitely look a bit dated now, but it's very fun regardless.
Old 12-12-10, 05:02 PM   #570
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Quote:

Thanks ya'll!
Awww you should finish the game, I assure you the final sequence (the video one, I mean) is well worth the effort and time into completing the game (IF and only IF you follow the story, if you're up for skipping sequences, then... your call).
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 05:06 PM   #571
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget

one of the funnest games in recent years. second on is maybe 75% as good as the first. Just missing that little extra.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-10, 05:06 PM   #572
Destroy

Quote:

Thanks ya'll!
They added a Bioshock profile long time ago. AA should work fine on ATI. If not working you may need to check your system.

Vista64 Home Premium
Gigabyte GA-EP35C-DS3R
CPU E8500 with Corsair H50 cooler
HIS 6970, always 19x10res
Memory 8 Gig OCZ 1000@1024
Display Westinghouse 37" LVM-37w1 LCD monitor
Destroy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-10, 08:48 PM   #573
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
They added a Bioshock profile long time ago. AA should work fine on ATI. If not working you may need to check your system.
Cranked it to 8xAA and it definitely looks to be working.
Old 12-13-10, 04:16 AM   #574
LydianKnight
Registered Knight

Curious... I always played it without forcing anything... how could I test it with NVIDIA?
LydianKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 08:29 AM   #575
knghtwhosaysni
Ni!

Just bought bioshock 2 so I thought I should try finishing the first now that I have a better system. But there is that physics issue still there... it seems to update more slowly than the rest of the game. I've googled it and haven't found any fixes that worked but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

And both 1+2 are on sale on steam for $5 each today
| i7-2600k | ASUS P8H67-M LE | eVGA GTX 275 1792MB | 8GB 1333mhz | Samsung 830 64GB | Seagate 7200.10 320GB | Seagate 7200.11 1.5TB | Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic | Dell S2209W | Audio-Technica ATH-A700 | Logitech G500 | Logitech Driving Force GT |
knghtwhosaysni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-11, 09:17 AM   #576
mailman2
Ducking & Dodging

Quote:
Originally Posted by knghtwhosaysni View Post
Just bought bioshock 2 so I thought I should try finishing the first now that I have a better system. But there is that physics issue still there... it seems to update more slowly than the rest of the game. I've googled it and haven't found any fixes that worked but I just wanted to see if anyone here had any ideas.

And both 1+2 are on sale on steam for $5 each today
The rag doll stuff is 30 fps. There is no fix.

I believe in Crysis2 the Shotgun animation was done at 30 fps too. Looks like crap when the game is running 100 fps.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
Oh, if the whole world had only one neck for me to squeeze in my hands...
mailman2 is offline   Reply With Quote