Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-21-07, 03:15 PM   #1
evilghost

Default UART

So, I'm setting up Renegade BBS and will likely be doing FidoNET as well. Anywhoo, I'm wondering I should use the FOSSIL driver for my 16550A UART so I can do FIFO and support 57600.

Not sure if I'll do multi-node or not but L.O.R.D would rock multi-node. Need a co-sysop, any volunteers?
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 03:24 PM   #2
Redeemed

Default Re: UART

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
So, I'm setting up Renegade BBS and will likely be doing FidoNET as well. Anywhoo, I'm wondering I should use the FOSSIL driver for my 16550A UART so I can do FIFO and support 57600.

Not sure if I'll do multi-node or not but L.O.R.D would rock multi-node. Need a co-sysop, any volunteers?

Mind saying all that again- IN ENGLISH???
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 03:28 PM   #3
evilghost

You don't remember those days? I'm level 110 on PCBoard, pj3r.
Old 08-21-07, 04:11 PM   #4
Tr1cK
not coming back

My god, you just sent me back to the 1990s.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 04:14 PM   #5
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
My god, you just sent me back to the 1990s.
I'll fire up Aciddraw and see if I can churn out some tight login ANSIs
Old 08-21-07, 04:19 PM   #6
Tr1cK
not coming back

I remember it was around 1990 when I went to a friends house and he fired up the first BBS I had ever seen on a Commodore 64.

He also had one of those turbo cards for it to boost it from 1mhz to like 6mhz. We were still big Commodore fans until the days when VGA became cheap because Commodore gaming was better. It had better sound and better graphics than my CGA at the time.
Tr1cK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 04:22 PM   #7
Redeemed

I was a noob in the 90s. I really didn't take interest in computers till about mid-96... and really started getting into them around 97. I also didn't have much access to the internet, so I was not a member of any forum.
Old 08-21-07, 05:02 PM   #8
evilghost

I remember some time around 1995 my father came to me and told me about the Internet, and how it was better than localized BBS systems. At the time I was dialed into a BBS over 19200 with a USR modem I saved up for. I looked at my father, in the eyes, and told him The Internet is stupid and no one is going to use it.

Oh how I LOL now.

Old 08-21-07, 05:18 PM   #9
DiscipleDOC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
I was a noob in the 90s. I really didn't take interest in computers till about mid-96... and really started getting into them around 97. I also didn't have much access to the internet, so I was not a member of any forum.
You are a noob in this millenia as well!
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 07:39 PM   #10
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I remember some time around 1995 my father came to me and told me about the Internet, and how it was better than localized BBS systems. At the time I was dialed into a BBS over 19200 with a USR modem I saved up for. I looked at my father, in the eyes, and told him The Internet is stupid and no one is going to use it.

Oh how I LOL now.
I'll be honest, I really don't know what you're referring to. I assume BBS was competition for the Internet- I suppose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiscipleDOC
You are a noob in this millenia as well!
Coming from the guy with only one GTS.
Old 08-21-07, 09:33 PM   #11
rflair
W OOO OOO

My first BBS experience was on my old Atari 800XL with a 300/110 baud modem, was a blast, BBS's were so intimate and geeky loved them.

Evilghost I know your setting one up but do they still exist, guess so, I could see some really rogue and bad things BBS's could be used for, hackers, crackers and some real bad sh*t, never thought of BBS's in a long time, the memories x-modem, z-modem transfer protocols .

Great stuff have a blast.
Sharp Aquos 42" 1080p
ASUS P5K-E
8.0G OCZ RAM
Rig is ON 24/7
rflair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-07, 09:48 PM   #12
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by rflair
My first BBS experience was on my old Atari 800XL with a 300/110 baud modem, was a blast, BBS's were so intimate and geeky loved them.

Evilghost I know your setting one up but do they still exist, guess so, I could see some really rogue and bad things BBS's could be used for, hackers, crackers and some real bad sh*t, never thought of BBS's in a long time, the memories x-modem, z-modem transfer protocols .

Great stuff have a blast.
I remember when YModem-G (Batch) came out, then Z-Modem. OMG, Z-Modem was awesome. I remember writing PPE's for PCBoard back in the day. I remember Wildcat V, Renegade, PCBoard, and others. Man, that was the day.

I downloaded Doom shareware v666 over X-Modem on a 2400 BPS modem.

I was on a telnet enabled BBS the other day playing LORD. Actually beat it again, love it.