Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-06-03, 04:42 AM   #1
omas

Default Mandrake Linux 9.1 lockups

Hi!

I have some problems with essentially all NVIDIA Linux drivers and it shows itself when i primarly run Gnome.

Frequent lockups occur when for example i try to run Mozilla browser when running Gnome.

I thought i had gotten rid of the problems i had when i switched to KDE, but yesterday i had the same kind of lockup when trying to run Mozilla browser within KDE.

It started ok, but the minute i tried to rite something in the addressfield, my machine just froze dead.

This seemes to indicate some problem with my hardware, and the only thing i ever have had a problem with is NVIDIA, so... well you be the judge of the relevanse of this post, but my suspicions leans toward my Creative 3DBlaster Geforce 256 DDR.

I dont know exactly how much info is needed but i have attached /var/log/XFree86.0.log, /var/log/messages and a dmesg output from the machine in question.

If anyone could give me a good pointer in wich direction i should look to solve this problem i would be most thankful.

Regards

/Omas Jakobsson
Attached Files
File Type: zip logs.zip (40.6 KB, 161 views)
omas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-03, 11:23 AM   #2
omas

Default More info

I have read Andy Mechams advise regarding wich information i should post for the ease of troubleshooting a problem, so here is some more information.

Driver version: 1.0-4349
Kernel: 2.4.21-0.13mdk
Processor: AMD Athlon 700mhz

#less /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce DDR
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 02.10.02.04.00
Card Type: AGP

Attached is also my copy of /etc/X11/XF86Config-4

I havent had any problems with resolution or color, so i do not attach any verbose XFree86 logs.

My previos post should give the rest of any interesting info that could solve this...

Regards

/Omas Jakobsson
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config-4.txt (2.8 KB, 249 views)
Old 04-06-03, 04:25 PM   #3
Nuitari

I have a similar problem with Slackware 9 but gnome was stable and kde kept crashing until I removed all of the icons on the desktop.

Though konqueror will have it crash very quickly.

This happenned both in twinview and not.
Driver version: 1.0-4349
Kernel: 2.4.20
Processor: AMD Duron 700
MotherboarD: Abit Kt7a-RAID

nuitari@gandalf:~$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce4 Ti 4200 with AGP8X
IRQ: 5
Video BIOS: 04.28.20.21.00
Card Type: AGP
Attached Files
File Type: txt xf86config.txt (6.9 KB, 211 views)
Nuitari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-03, 12:28 PM   #4
omas

Any luck with different configurations?

I know there are som Graphical frontends for configuring nvidias drivers, but i havent found anyone i really find trustworthy.

Someone got any tips?

Regards

/Omas Jakobsson
Old 04-07-03, 03:34 PM   #5
Andy Mecham
l33t master

Do hangs occur with AGP disabled?

--andy
Old 04-08-03, 11:34 AM   #6
omas

To put it simple. No, with AGP disabled it doesnt lock up.

But my fps with glxgears goes from an average of 2238 to 1479fps.

Thats not good.

This is as i said before not a lockup that is 100% reproducable, it seemes to occur after working the machine in question for a while with heavy 3D-stuff and such.

I have had an Windows XP installation on the same machine in paralell to my Mandrake installation for about a year and never experienced any lockups, and i know AGP isnt disabled in that driver, else it would be rather impossible to play any games i currently use Windows XP for.

My motherboard has a Via chipset and i looked around a bit, but couldnt find any leeds on the issue there, however, i managed a year ago to find an bios update and have made certain i run the latest possible bios, so any bios updates isnt likely to fix it.

What is puzzling is that it doesnt say anything in any logs i can find about what can be wrong.
Old 04-08-03, 10:40 PM   #7
kristanb

Omas - I'm having a similar problem, now with both Mandrake 9.0 and 9.1, and XF86 4.2.x and 4.3.0. I've found, though, that I can ssh in to the box, and when I run top it turns out that X is consuming 95+% of the cpu. I can kill X and start up again and everything will be fine for awhile, then it will happen again. I'm not noticing any consistent pattern - sometimes it's during heavy 3d rendering (my kids like Tux Racer), sometimes during more mundane desktop stuff. I went out and got another card today to rule out hardware failure, and got similar symptoms with the new card. Oh, and I get similar problems with drivers back to the 2960 series. The NV driver that comes with XFree86 doesn't cause the problem (yet), but then it also isn't 3d accelerated.

Don't know if that helped, but the more of us Mandrake users that speak up about this the better.
kristanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:40 AM   #8
omas

Well, im pleased to hear that this problem isnt in my mind...

But i think i got worse symptoms than you, my machine simple freezes and doesnt respond to anything at all.

Old 04-09-03, 01:58 AM   #9
afrosheen

I'm having the same problem. I thought it was fixed when I wasn't using Konqueror because I can game and it's fine (with the newest drivers). It locked again today and sure enough, X was consuming all of the cpu power. I ssh'ed in, killed X and restarted kde and it was business as usual.

I've rolled back to the 4191's again and will see how it goes. I don't remember having these lockups before because my system usually goes a few weeks between reboots (it's a dual boot system).

There's definitely some issue here...
afrosheen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 09:14 AM   #10
kristanb

I still haven't ruled out hardware problems. Every once in awhile X will just die, and I finally had an error message I could do something with (most of the time there is no indication of what's wrong...nothing in the logs, messages, etc). The last time X crashed it reported a signal 11, which apparently can be caused by just about anything, but a bad sector on the swap partition and bad system RAM are common causes. Bad swap space could also explain why I only get these problems in Linux/X11 (and not Win98), and why they are so erratic. When I get a chance I'm going to mess around with the swap to see if I can make the problem go away - I'll let you know.
kristanb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 04:19 PM   #11
hennikul

Lightbulb

I had a similar problem. My problem was that my machine crashed when there was a lot of IO activity. I was able to reproduce the crashes even without the X-server running. But allways with the nvidia.o kernel driver installed. Never without that module. I also experienced a couple of X-server hangs which forced me to kill X with Sysrq-ctrl-alt-k.

My setupt is a 1.1GHz Athlon on an ABIT KT7-RAID motherboard and a Geforce4 Ti4200 graphics board. I'm running Mandrake 9.1.

Two days ago I upgraded my Motherboard BIOS. I hadn't done so in quite a long time. After this the problem seems to be gone. I have not experienced any crashes since. You seem to have a similar board, so you might want to try that yourself...

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Henning
hennikul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-03, 04:32 PM   #12
Guardian Bob

I'm having similar behavior on RH 9. Possibly this could help:
Quote:
This is probably unrelated, but I experience the same thing on a distroless machine (XF 4.3) when using:

Option "RenderAccel" "1"

In my XF86Config. NVIDIA mark this off by default and say it's experimental, but it used to work prior to the 4xxx series on this GF2Ti, now it's broken.

If you have RenderAccel set, try removing that line.

Cheers,
Alistair Strachan.
--GB
Guardian Bob is offline   Reply With Quote