Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-01-07, 09:43 AM   #13
six_storm

Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I gave up on it six_storm. This Debian install I have now is the longest a linux has stayed on my hdd without re-installing for a long time.

All the pluses, none of the glitches.

*knocks on wood*
Hmm . . . I'll have to give Debian a try. Since my good PC is under construction, my old rig isn't playing very nice with Ubuntu 7.04. Well, at least the NVIDIA drivers and Compiz-Fusion lol. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 11:22 AM   #14
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Hmm . . . I'll have to give Debian a try. Since my good PC is under construction, my old rig isn't playing very nice with Ubuntu 7.04. Well, at least the NVIDIA drivers and Compiz-Fusion lol. Maybe I'll give it a shot sometime.
I remember trying to configure debian around 4-5 years ago and getting disgusted. It's come quite a long way. I actually found it easier to install than any of the *buntus due to lack of bugs.
Old 09-01-07, 11:55 AM   #15
six_storm

Quote:
I remember trying to configure debian around 4-5 years ago and getting disgusted. It's come quite a long way. I actually found it easier to install than any of the *buntus due to lack of bugs.
Holy cow . . . looking at Debian's download page, there are like 20+ things to d/l before you can burn a CD to install it!!! Even with the minimal installation CD, there are over 15 items to d/l. WTF?
Old 09-01-07, 12:47 PM   #16
grey_1

Quote:
Holy cow . . . looking at Debian's download page, there are like 20+ things to d/l before you can burn a CD to install it!!! Even with the minimal installation CD, there are over 15 items to d/l. WTF?
I think you got the wrong page maybe?
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
Choose your platform and look for the "netinst.iso". I'm using the i386 atm and loving it. The .iso is only 163 mb, and the minimal install will connect to a server of your choosing afterwards and download the other packages you want.

Really sweet setup.
Old 09-01-07, 01:02 PM   #17
six_storm

Quote:
I think you got the wrong page maybe?
http://www.debian.org/CD/netinst/
Choose your platform and look for the "netinst.iso". I'm using the i386 atm and loving it. The .iso is only 163 mb, and the minimal install will connect to a server of your choosing afterwards and download the other packages you want.

Really sweet setup.
I didn't get the wrong page . . I just didn't know which one I needed to d/l or if I had to d/l all of them and throw them on a CD. Downloading now, I'll give it a try on my test rig.

Also, how are installing NVIDIA drivers on Debian versus Ubuntu? Ubuntu's drivers didn't play nice with my 6200 . . .
Old 09-01-07, 01:23 PM   #18
grey_1

I can't speak for the 6200, but very easy on the 8800. You'll need almost exactly the same packages covered in the stickie, but it was quick and painless for me.
Quote:
Debian GNU/Linux or [K]Ubuntu with Xorg 7.x

If you wish to install the NVIDIA Linux graphics driver on a Debian GNU/Linux or Ubuntu system that ships with Xorg 7.x, please ensure that your system meets the following requirements:

* development tools like make and gcc are installed
* the linux-headers package matching the installed Linux kernel is installed
* the pkg-config and xserver-xorg-dev packages are installed
* the nvidia-glx package has been uninstalled with the --purge option and the files /etc/init.d/nvidia-glx and /etc/init.d/nvidia-kernel do not exist

If you use Ubuntu, please also ensure that the linux-restricted-modules or linux-restricted-modules-common packages have been uninstalled. Alternatively, you can edit the /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules or /etc/default/linux-restricted-modules-common configuration file and disable the NVIDIA linux-restricted kernel modules (nvidia, nvidia_legacy) via:

DISABLED_MODULES="nv nvidia_new"

Additionally, delete the following file if it exists:

/lib/linux-restricted-modules/.nvidia_new_installed

Please note: unfortunately, it has become difficult to keep track of the pre-/post-installation steps required for [K]Ubuntu, and the above instructions may be incomplete. If in doubt, it is recommended that you use your distributor's NVIDIA Linux graphics driver packages, exclusively.
Old 09-01-07, 01:27 PM   #19
six_storm

Quote:
I can't speak for the 6200, but very easy on the 8800. You'll need almost exactly the same packages covered in the stickie, but it was quick and painless for me.
Cool stuff. I'm kinda used to Ubuntu doing everything for me so it'll be a nice adventure getting things to work on Debian. I just want Compiz-Fusion to run smoothly as it has done before (Ubuntu 6.10).

I'm installing Debian right now so I'll let you know how it goes.
Old 09-01-07, 01:32 PM   #20
grey_1

Quote:
Cool stuff. I'm kinda used to Ubuntu doing everything for me so it'll be a nice adventure getting things to work on Debian. I just want Compiz-Fusion to run smoothly as it has done before (Ubuntu 6.10).

I'm installing Debian right now so I'll let you know how it goes.
GL man!

Old 09-01-07, 02:21 PM   #21
six_storm

Ok, installing NVIDIA drivers is a PITA. Anyone wanna tell me how to stop X so I can get this installation complete?
Old 09-01-07, 02:24 PM   #22
grey_1

ctrl+alt+F1
"/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
Old 09-01-07, 02:29 PM   #23
six_storm

Quote:
ctrl+alt+F1
"/etc/init.d/gdm stop"
Ok I did it right the first time. Now my problem is that it tells me I have no precompiled kernel interface . . . anybody wanna elaborate? Thanks for the help grey!
Old 09-01-07, 04:37 PM   #24
grey_1

The driver should offer to search the site, then build it's own. Just so long as your not missing any packages, which will fail the install, you should be ok.