Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-01-07, 08:21 PM   #25
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
The driver should offer to search the site, then build it's own. Just so long as your not missing any packages, which will fail the install, you should be ok.
Finally, the drivers are installed! I searched for libc in Synaptic, installed the libc-dev package and it finally built for me. Now time to try and install Compiz-Fusion . . .

six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 08:46 PM   #26
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Cool! Having the install complete I really think you'll find debian much less finicky than the *buntus. Just my personal feelings, but I always thought I was doing something/configring something wrong, then evilghost said he was having glitches and such too...time for a change.

Me likes stable.

Enjoy six_storm..show some screenies after you get it set to taste.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 08:51 PM   #27
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Cool! Having the install complete I really think you'll find debian much less finicky than the *buntus. Just my personal feelings, but I always thought I was doing something/configring something wrong, then evilghost said he was having glitches and such too...time for a change.

Me likes stable.

Enjoy six_storm..show some screenies after you get it set to taste.
I've been trying for the past hour to get compiz-fusion to install . . . but I keep getting broken package errors from Trevino's repos. WTF? Also, Debian forums don't have any info on CF+Debian+NVIDIA install how-tos. Can anybody point me in the right direction?

Thanks grey. Debian seems alright so far, I'm not digging to the two different terminals and running "su" but I'll get used to it. I'm running Debian on an older PC, so it'll be fun to play around with when my gaming rig gets back in action with the C2D upgrade soon.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 08:55 PM   #28
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Your welcome six.

I put together a list of different repositories everyone here contributed, I keep the file so I don't have to search again for them.

Code:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

#Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free


## Various Multimedia Helper Apps Mplayer, Real, w32codecs, etc.. ##
deb http://debian-multimedia.org stable main

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ experimental main non-free contrib

## Etch backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
I would just be careful of the "experimental"..I've got a mix of everything else going with nothing broken, experimental might break it for you though, use at your own risk!

EDIT: I gave up on the comp-fusion for now, I got the broken packages also. A couple or three more releases and I bet it's up to snuff.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:07 PM   #29
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Your welcome six.

I put together a list of different repositories everyone here contributed, I keep the file so I don't have to search again for them.

Code:
deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib

#Backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free

deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb-src http://ftp.debian.org/debian/ stable main contrib non-free
deb http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free
deb-src http://security.debian.org/ stable/updates main contrib non-free


## Various Multimedia Helper Apps Mplayer, Real, w32codecs, etc.. ##
deb http://debian-multimedia.org stable main

deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ sid main non-free contrib
deb http://ftp.fi.debian.org/debian/ experimental main non-free contrib

## Etch backports
deb http://www.backports.org/debian etch-backports main contrib non-free
I would just be careful of the "experimental"..I've got a mix of everything else going with nothing broken, experimental might break it for you though, use at your own risk!

EDIT: I gave up on the comp-fusion for now, I got the broken packages also. A couple or three more releases and I bet it's up to snuff.
Thanks man. Compiz still won't install for me . . It says it's going to install and needs xxxx packages too. Then it will say "0 to install, 0 to config, etc" lol. Ok? Compiz-Fusion was really easy to get going on Ubuntu, I don't understand why it's not working on Debian. Maybe I'll try Beryl.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:13 PM   #30
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Thanks man. Compiz still won't install for me . . It says it's going to install and needs xxxx packages too. Then it will say "0 to install, 0 to config, etc" lol. Ok? Compiz-Fusion was really easy to get going on Ubuntu, I don't understand why it's not working on Debian. Maybe I'll try Beryl.
I got it installed easy enough, it just broke hard on me after a cold start one morning and synaptic showed a bunch of broken packages. I may try on my test box, if that works I'll try again on my main rig.

Good luck with it though, maybe you'll get it sorted easy enough.
  Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:30 PM   #31
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I got it installed easy enough, it just broke hard on me after a cold start one morning and synaptic showed a bunch of broken packages. I may try on my test box, if that works I'll try again on my main rig.

Good luck with it though, maybe you'll get it sorted easy enough.
Man, I can't get CF nor Beryl to install . . . packages keep breaking or it just won't install. Maybe I need to reinstall?
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 09:37 PM   #32
grey_1
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Man, I can't get CF nor Beryl to install . . . packages keep breaking or it just won't install. Maybe I need to reinstall?
I kind of hesitate to try and help here as I didn't get it working myself. I may break it worse on you.

The only thing I can think of is try different repos if available, or download and work from the tarballs.

Sorry I can't be of much assistance here...
  Reply With Quote

Old 09-01-07, 11:17 PM   #33
BashfulTux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 147
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
Man, I can't get CF nor Beryl to install . . . packages keep breaking or it just won't install. Maybe I need to reinstall?
Doubt it there should be no need to re-install, can you show us the output of apt-get -s install package_name replacing package_name with whatever the CF or Beryl is named as and your sources.list.
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 08:45 AM   #34
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BashfulTux
Doubt it there should be no need to re-install, can you show us the output of apt-get -s install package_name replacing package_name with whatever the CF or Beryl is named as and your sources.list.
It basically just says "Broken Packages", even though I installed CF on Ubuntu earlier this week.
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 09:11 AM   #35
BashfulTux
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 147
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by six_storm
It basically just says "Broken Packages", even though I installed CF on Ubuntu earlier this week.
Ubuntu is not Debian things can be different. In order to be able to tell why you are getting the broken packages message you will need to show us the output of the apt-get or aptitude install commands so we can see where it is failing then maybe be able to get around it on the command line. Synaptic is next to useless if mixing differnet branches eg stable with testing or unstable it has pretty much no dependency resolution for situations like that it is designed for one branch only installs.
BashfulTux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-07, 09:19 AM   #36
six_storm
Registered User
 
six_storm's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Nashvegas
Posts: 11,575
Send a message via Skype™ to six_storm
Default Re: KDE 4.0

Here ya go:

Code:
The following packages are BROKEN:
  compiz-core compiz-fusion-plugins-main compiz-gnome compiz-plugins
  libcompizconfig0 libdecoration0 python-compizconfig
The following NEW packages will be automatically installed:
  compizconfig-settings-manager freeglut3 libxcomposite1 mesa-utils
The following NEW packages will be installed:
  compiz compizconfig-settings-manager freeglut3 libxcomposite1 mesa-utils
0 packages upgraded, 12 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
Need to get 2115kB of archives. After unpacking 8446kB will be used.
The following packages have unmet dependencies:
  libcompizconfig0: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed .
                    Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.29) but 2.6.27.dfsg-1 is installed.
  libdecoration0: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed.
  compiz-plugins: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed.
                  Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0) but 1.2.4-4 is installed.
                  Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.1) but 1.0.2-1 is installed.
                  Depends: libfuse2 (>= 2.6) but it is not installable
                  Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0) but 2.12.4-2 is installed.
                  Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.10.12-3) but 2.8.20-7 is installed.
                  Depends: librsvg2-2 (>= 2.16.1) but 2.14.4-3 is installed.
                  Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.29) but 2.6.27.dfsg-1 is installed.
  python-compizconfig: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is instal led.
                       Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0) but 2.12.4-2 is install ed.
                       Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1) but 1:1.0.3-3 is installe d.
                       Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.29) but 2.6.27.dfsg-1 is install ed.
                       Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0) but 2:1.1.0.2-5 is insta lled.
  compiz-core: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed.
               Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1) but 1:1.0.3-3 is installed.
               Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.29) but 2.6.27.dfsg-1 is installed.
               Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0) but 2:1.1.0.2-5 is installed.
  compiz-fusion-plugins-main: Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is  installed.
                              Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0) but 1.2.4-4 is insta lled.
                              Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0) but 2.12.4-2 is installed.
                              Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.16.5) but 1.14.8-5 is  installed.
                              Depends: libxdamage1 (>= 1:1.1) but 1:1.0.3-3 is i nstalled.
                              Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.29) but 2.6.27.dfsg-1 is installed.
                              Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0) but 2:1.1.0.2-5 i s installed.
  compiz-gnome: Depends: libart-2.0-2 (>= 2.3.18) but 2.3.17-1 is installed.
                Depends: libatk1.0-0 (>= 1.13.2) but 1.12.4-3 is installed.
                Depends: libbonobo2-0 (>= 2.15.0) but 2.14.0-3 is installed.
                Depends: libbonoboui2-0 (>= 2.15.1) but 2.14.0-5 is installed.
                Depends: libc6 (>= 2.6-1) but 2.3.6.ds1-13etch2 is installed.
                Depends: libcairo2 (>= 1.4.0) but 1.2.4-4 is installed.
                Depends: libdbus-1-3 (>= 1.1.1) but 1.0.2-1 is installed.
                Depends: libdbus-glib-1-2 (>= 0.74) but 0.71-3 is installed.
                Depends: libglib2.0-0 (>= 2.14.0) but 2.12.4-2 is installed.
                Depends: libgnome-keyring0 (>= 0.8) but 0.6.0-3 is installed.
                Depends: libgnome2-0 (>= 2.17.3) but 2.16.0-2 is installed.
                Depends: libgnomeui-0 (>= 2.17.1) but 2.14.1-2 is installed.
                Depends: libgnomevfs2-0 (>= 1:2.17.90) but 1:2.14.2-7 is install ed.
                Depends: libgtk2.0-0 (>= 2.10.12-3) but 2.8.20-7 is installed.
                Depends: libpango1.0-0 (>= 1.16.5) but 1.14.8-5 is installed.
                Depends: libwnck18 (>= 2.18.2) but 2.14.3-1 is installed.
                Depends: libxrandr2 (>= 2:1.2.0) but 2:1.1.0.2-5 is installed.
Resolving dependencies...
The following actions will resolve these dependencies:

Keep the following packages at their current version:
compiz [Not Installed]
compiz-core [Not Installed]
compiz-fusion-plugins-main [Not Installed]
compiz-gnome [Not Installed]
compiz-plugins [Not Installed]
compizconfig-settings-manager [Not Installed]
libcompizconfig0 [Not Installed]
libdecoration0 [Not Installed]
python-compizconfig [Not Installed]

Score is -19989
six_storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kde compositing conflicts with wine popup menu kokoko3k NVIDIA Linux 0 06-01-12 05:54 AM
Phoronix Test Suite 4.0 Slides Closer To Release News Archived News Items 0 05-22-12 04:50 AM
Event Log Explorer 4.0 News Archived News Items 0 05-16-12 10:40 AM
NVidia Display Drivers screw up KDE Webgraph NVIDIA Linux 11 10-08-02 08:57 PM
poor kde X windows performance after restart HeadStrong NVIDIA Linux 5 08-19-02 07:17 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ©1998 - 2014, nV News.