Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
Everyone has a hard drive
K/M support
Browser support
Install support
HDMI
WiFi

I actually think the 360 hardware wise should have been the console the PS3 is. A perfect centerpiece for a family or entertainmenmt room but content wise the 360 is more suited for that.
Harddrive - I'll give points for that one, every 360 should come with one.
K/M support - Iffy at best, this is a console that hooks to your tv. I really don't want to hook a mouse up to it.
Browser support - Hmm, my Wii does that too, and so does my PC. I can't rationalize this as a future proofing technology.
Install support - I have a idea what you mean by this, but I'd like to hear what you mean.
HDMI - yes
Wifi - not so much.

The point is, it is very hard to think of the PS3 as a "gaming console". It includes so very much hardware and software (and future addons) but Sony is skimping on the console centric stuff. With Sony going down this line, you need to ask yourself: Is the PS3 a console or as Sony said a computer? If you decide that the PS3 is more of a computer than a console, you need to ask yourself: Would my money be better spent buying a pc or a PS3? If you decide that it is more of a console, you need to ask yourself: Does the PS3 deliver more as a console than the others, or less?
Possibly I am simply too old, but I don't see playing hi-def movies, attaching a keyboard/mouse, browsing the web, etc.. as things a console needs or in some cases should have. To be a console you need to fit into the vision of what a console should be, and yes, the 360 fails in a number of those aspects as well.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 10:27 AM   #38
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Default Re: Opinions from console afficianado's

Well, I'll toss in my 2 cents and say, based on my experience, that the 360 is looking to be the better buy at this point in time.

You will have more to play now, more great titles in the nearer future and unless some things start changing...the 360 seems to be getting the most dev love as far as ports go. The new Madden is a good example.

The port thing may change later...I would like to think we will start seeing parity eventually.

I have all 3 consoles now and looking from down the road over the next 6 months or so...I see the 360 getting most of my time with Bioshock, Halo3, Mass Effect, Eternal Sonata, Assasin's Creed (yes I know PS3 will get it too but right now if I were a betting man I'd put $$ on the 360 version) and others.

PS3 I have hopes and a pre order for Lair (really looking forward to this one). Heavenly Sword was a letdown so that preorder was cancelled Friday. Outside of that the wife is using it for a PS2. Kind of a bummer really...one can never have too many cool games to buy.

The Wii is just sitting there collecting dust currently...hopefully that will change soon.

Again...my 2 cents...

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 11:01 AM   #39
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav
The Wii is just sitting there collecting dust currently...
My wii has been collecting dust for quite a while now, neither my son nor wife touch it and I've already finished Zelda.
Old 08-27-07, 11:14 AM   #40
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Wifi built in? HDMI included from the start, this is an issue considering MS now is releasing all their systems with HDMI ports so Sony actually did do something right by including it from the start.
HDMI isn't necessary. You can get the same picture from component cables and DVI. HDMI is just a hot buzzword in the industry.

It'd be one thing if either or both console was able decode Dolby TrueHD and/or DTS-MA tracks and send that raw 5.1 PCM out to a receiver, but they can't. So big ****ing deal.

I use VGA on my 360 and I bet it looks just as good as someone using HDMI. And there's no difference in sound either.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 11:23 AM   #41
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

1. Don't buy a Wii. $500+ later invested in the console I really wish I had not.

2. Xbox360 is a winner now.... as long as you get lucky and your console doesn't die.

3. PS3 looks to be the winner in the future(imo). Blu-Ray, MGS 3, GT5, Little Big World, Eye, Motion sensing controller, etc etc. The future for the PS3 is bright. However it downright sucks right now.

If you want great games NOW AND Future, get the Xbox 360. If you don't mind waiting a bit for PS3 to start cranking out games, the future for PS3 looks to be good. Both consoles look GREAT for the future. Wii is a load of marketting garbage that I wish I had never bought.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 11:39 AM   #42
|MaguS|

Litte Big World? Sounds interesting, got any info on it?
Old 08-27-07, 11:49 AM   #43
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Litte Big World? Sounds interesting, got any info on it?
Little Big World == Little Big Planet. That game/thing Sony announced along with the Home stuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
3. PS3 looks to be the winner in the future(imo). Blu-Ray, MGS 3, GT5, Little Big World, Eye, Motion sensing controller, etc etc. The future for the PS3 is bright. However it downright sucks right now.
The Dreamcast was a really cool console, great graphics, good controllers, some really fun games, bright future. It was a flop. One of many reasons was that the ps2 gained market share before it did. While it is far too early to see if the ps3 goes the same way, it is not off to a good start.
Old 08-27-07, 11:53 AM   #44
Moo
*BANNNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
The Dreamcast was a really cool console, great graphics, good controllers, some really fun games, bright future. It was a flop. One of many reasons was that the ps2 gained market share before it did. While it is far too early to see if the ps3 goes the same way, it is not off to a good start.
Wasn't Peter Moore behind Dreamcast?

Piracy also had something to do with DC's short lifecycle... it was just too easy; no modding required.
Moo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-27-07, 12:07 PM   #45
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moo
Wasn't Peter Moore behind Dreamcast?

Piracy also had something to do with DC's short lifecycle... it was just too easy; no modding required.
Let us not ignore how DC had almost no 3rd party support and lacked any real advertisment.

Lyme... it was a Joke, I know he ment LBP but I like pushing Tyger's buttons. He giggles funny.
Old 08-27-07, 07:46 PM   #46
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Alot of people will say "psssh, PS3 fanboys are always talking about games that are coming out, but what about now? The 360 has games you can play now!!!" Well, you wouldn't buy a 2-seat car over a mini-van if your wife was pregnant with triplets would you? There's nothing wrong with purchasing a console with regard to upcoming titles, and considering Gran-Turismo, Metal Gear Solid, and Final Fantasy are my top 3 favorite game series...you can see why my opinion is what it is.
It is very hard to argue against a console-hype. As for the wife, would you buy a mini-van over a 2-sear car if she was talking about kids in the future?
Old 08-27-07, 08:27 PM   #47
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
It is very hard to argue against a console-hype. As for the wife, would you buy a mini-van over a 2-sear car if she was talking about kids in the future?
Hell no. What do you think trunks are for?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-07, 08:28 PM   #48
|MaguS|

Reason i'm thinking about getting a bike... then no thoughts of babies...