Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-29-07, 01:38 PM   #73
|MaguS|

Default Re: Opinions from console afficianado's

Honestly, I don't see either console having any really must play game right now and if they do its probably cross platform like The Darkness. Both systems have good games but in my personal opinion I don't think either have an exclusive title that you NEED to play.

With that said, I think this is where the PS3 stands out since it has the PS2 catalog to fall back on when its slow or if you wana play some of the must play games in the last couple of years (PS2 has MANY titles that everyone should play).

Now I never said the X360 doesn't have great games, I just don't think any of them are must play quality. I know many people will say Gears of War but if he has gone on this long without it why not wait for the PC version which will be more complete? Now will the X360 always be like that? No, I think Mass Effect is going to be amazing and a must play to RPG lovers but again it will find its way to the PC and well if you can waited this long on going nextgen why not just wait longer for the PC version?

The PS3 on the otherhand has alot of titles that will probably never see the light of day on another system...
Old 08-29-07, 01:46 PM   #74
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by gravioli
There is no guarantee that the PS3 will have great games this winter or early next year. There will be games released, but we won't know if they are great until then. Conversely, right now anyone can run to their local Walmart and pick up some excellent games for the 360. Immediate satisfaction.
Other than Bioshock name one of those excellent games on the 360 please.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 02:07 PM   #75
Lyme

You don't even need to run out to walmart to get some great games for the 360. Between the big releases I love trying out the demos and many times buying the games that have found their way on to XBLA. There are a ton of retro and new titles that can keep one occupied for a long time.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 03:16 PM   #76
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Honestly, I haven't even touched the XBLA, though a friend did give me a few of those gamer point cards and I downloaded a handful of Southpark episodes. The media stuff is XBL's strongest advantage over the PSN in my opinion.

The PSN has a ton of demos too, including many for games that haven't even been released yet. Several of the arcade games on PSN blow away XBLA too. Compare Super Stardust HD to its 360 competitor, Geometry Wars, for example. Although, admittedly, the XBLA does have a MUCH larger selection.
A much larger selection? We are comparing the 7 listed for PSN
http://www.us.playstation.com/PS3/St...dablegames&p=1

to XBLA's 70+
http://www.xbox.com/en-US/games/live...60/default.htm

As for demo's for games that have not been released, XBL does that too.

The simple fact of the matter is that the PS3 only has a large selection of games if you count the PS1/PS2 ones. In the right here and now, the made for PS3 game selection is pretty small. Assuming the release rate for games for the PS3 and the 360 stays the same, the PS3 will get a large collection but will always lag behind the 360. Of course you can say quality over quantity, but I can say all the ps3 games are crap as easily as you can say the ones for the 360 are.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:11 PM   #77
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt

Gears of War

That's one.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:16 PM   #78
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xav
Gears of War

That's one.
I don't agree with your opinion. I found Gears of War very boring... I know people say it's great and all but I could never get into it. I have yet to get more then half way through the game... just got tired of playing it.
Old 08-29-07, 04:24 PM   #79
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I don't agree with your opinion. I found Gears of War very boring... I know people say it's great and all but I could never get into it. I have yet to get more then half way through the game... just got tired of playing it.
Seems like you're in the minority.

http://www.gamefaqs.com/console/xbox...ew/928234.html

http://www.gamerankings.com/htmlpage...ars%20of%20war

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/acti...summary;yousay

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gears_of_war#Reception

I've never played the game myself, but it appears to pack the magnitude of a "system seller."
Old 08-29-07, 04:35 PM   #80
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by buffbiff21
Man I hate when people bring reviews or how well it sells when they judge a game. I can point out plenty of games that got lower reviews then people expected but they loved and I can point out even more games that sold poorly but were called some of the best games ever released...

The game isn't bad but I don't think it deserves all the praise it has gotten.

Old 08-29-07, 04:46 PM   #81
Imbroglio
xeroyphyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Hunt
Guitar Hero 2, GRAW2, GoW, Dead Rising, Crackdown (ymmv), etc. Plus there is Flatout:UC, PES (this actually coming to ps3 this time around?) within the month. That's just what I'm playing at the moment (going to be playing for Flatout and PES).

and seeing how much Hunt is in love with Flamer Flatley himself, i know blue dragon came out yesterday. that should be right up your alley.... a jrpg with 10 year old boys.

HT: 360 -- Sony60A3000 -- Onkyo SR605 --> Polk cs2, monitor 60s and monitor 40s w/ Bic F12 sub -- PS3
XBL:Mr X3r0 -- PSN:Mr_X3r0

Rig- Asus P6X58D Premium - intel i7 920 @3.6 - EVGA GTX570 - Corsair HX1000 - Prolimatech Mega Shadow - WD640 - COOLER MASTER ATCS 840 - OCZ Gold 6GB DDR3 1600*

Imbroglio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:55 PM   #82
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
Man I hate when people bring reviews or how well it sells when they judge a game. I can point out plenty of games that got lower reviews then people expected but they loved and I can point out even more games that sold poorly but were called some of the best games ever released...

The game isn't bad but I don't think it deserves all the praise it has gotten.
Your point? I don't like resorting to that either. But if there's any one game that is the system seller, it looks by popular opinion that Gears of War would be it. After all PEOPLE are what affect sales and system selling. I'm just going by general concensus. It's not the end all of opinions.

Games are, I'd say, half preference and half production quality.

As for an example I gave in another thread, look at Mega Man X4. It got shytty reviews, but I'd still rather play through it rather than any other game on PS.
Old 08-29-07, 04:56 PM   #83
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Well I can respect the opinion part but he asked for an excellent game on 360 and I gave him one.

In this instance it wasn't about what "in my opinion" was an excellent game...the mass majority loved it and it scored through the roof.

It's an Excellent Game

Now if you want to get into the opinions thing seperately...I loved it. I've been waiting for Epic to do a good single player "shooter" since the original Unreal (one of my ALL time favorite games) and they finally gave it to me with Gears.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Old 08-29-07, 05:05 PM   #84
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Technically, Gears of War wasn't an FPS, it was in 3rd Person
Oh come on now...don't go all "techincally" on me.

Don't ya know 3rd person is the new 1st person???

Original Post Edited!!!