Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-28-07, 09:15 AM   #1
Quark

Default Fullscreen video overlay to TV?

In Windows XP I can use the nvidia control panel to enable fullscreen video overlay mode. This sends the video overlay fullscreen to my secondary monitor (TV in my case).

I haven't found this feature in the nvidia-settings utility, is it possible to do the same in linux?
Quark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 09:39 AM   #2
Quark

Default Re: Fullscreen video overlay to TV?

*bump*

Someone must have an idea if this feature currently is in the linux drivers or not.
Old 08-29-07, 09:42 AM   #3
Thunderbird

This exact feature doesn't exist in the Linux drivers. Though there are numerous ways to get behavior which is a bit similar to it. For instance use separate X screens or normal twinview (media players can zoom to fullscreen on the TV).
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 01:38 PM   #4
arrrghhh

i actually asked this question and it went unanswered... so i'll just post in this thread instead of bumping my own...

there is a 'clone' feature in the nvidia-settings panel, but it never sticks. it always goes back to 'absolute'...

so in windows the clone & video overlay feature worked great. i could even minimize VLC and it would still put the video out to my tv!

can you instruct us how to set it up? right now i have it set so my tv is "to the right" of my monitor... but i can't drag windows over there. it's a real big pain, i have to squint onto my tv and find the file i want to open on the tv, since i cannot figure out any other way to pass a program over to that second screen... thanks in advance.

here's my thread if anyone wants to look at my debug files... although my xorg.conf has probably changed since those files were created.
arrrghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 02:14 PM   #5
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrrghhh
i cannot figure out any other way to pass a program over to that second screen...
When you want to start an X program from the commandline and send output to the second screen, type DISPLAY=:0.1 in front of it.
This may solve your problems when the program itself does not go on and present extra user interface details.
You can write a small shell script that calls a program like this:

#!/bin/sh
DISPLAY=:0.1 mplayer "$@"

When you save this as /usr/local/bin/mpl and chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/mpl you can then type a command like:
mpl filename
to start mplayer on the second screen.

(I use something like this and I have added other mplayer options that I want to use)
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 11:30 PM   #6
arrrghhh

intriguing solution... and thanks for the tip!

however... i would much prefer having the second monitor a clone of the first (so it can have its own resolution) and do full screen overlay of whatever video is playing on the screen. i could even minimize vlc and it would continue to play the video properly!

thanks again!
arrrghhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-07, 08:46 AM   #7
Quark

I prefer not using 2 seperate screens next to eachother because I dislike losing my cursor/windows to that screen.

I much rather have a clone of my first screen too, and a fullscreen video overlay on the 2nd, even when the window is minimized on the first screen.

The windows drivers can do it, I think it shouldn't be too hard to port this to the linux drivers too.
After all, aren't they the same drivers for about 90% orso? (don't shoot me if I'm wrong, don't have any experience with driver programming)
Old 09-07-07, 02:52 AM   #8
Quark

*bump*
I understand the workaround solutions and they work alright, just wondering if the fullscreen-video-overlay option will be added to the linux drivers in the near future.

Old 09-07-07, 11:16 AM   #9
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Quark,
There are no plans to implement that sort of functionality in the drivers currently, but knowing that users would like it helps prioritize future development.

That said, I strongly believe that this sort of feature belongs in the media players themselves, rather than in the driver.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 11:38 AM   #10
Xevious

seems to me like a work-around could be running a simple separate X session outputing only to the TV only could be a solution. That way you don't have to worry about the cursor going over and it effecting your regular session. Then you could do the same thing, just have a script that outputs to the second session. of course this would only work well using mplayer or something and via the command line (although I always use mplayer via the command line anyway) otherwise I don't think you would have anyway to control the video position.
Xevious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-07, 01:41 PM   #11
pe1chl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious
That way you don't have to worry about the cursor going over and it effecting your regular session.
I don't know if an option exists to keep the cursor in a single screen, but I have been using two screens for ages (setup as two X screens, :0.0 and :0.1) with my second screen on the TV.
I have never "worried" about the cursor going over to the second screen. I know that when I move it over the right edge it will disappear, and it will come back when I move it left again. I also know that when I do this in the lower right corner it will come back slightly higher (because my main screen is 1920x1200 and the TV is 1920x1080).
How that could "worry" someone is a bit beyond me...
pe1chl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-07, 02:22 AM   #12
Quark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious
seems to me like a work-around could be running a simple separate X session outputing only to the TV only could be a solution. That way you don't have to worry about the cursor going over and it effecting your regular session. Then you could do the same thing, just have a script that outputs to the second session. of course this would only work well using mplayer or something and via the command line (although I always use mplayer via the command line anyway) otherwise I don't think you would have anyway to control the video position.
That would sound like a solution that may be the best workaround for me.
Unfortunately I don't have a lot of X server configuration experience, and don't know how to setup a second X session like that.
Could you please give a simple example?