Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 08-29-07, 01:56 AM   #13
betterdan
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
If sales of the Wii tell us anything, people love cheap.
Yep that's why so many men had my ex wife.
Eventually we all move on to something better after a while though.
  Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 09:26 AM   #14
Xav
Professional NV Lurker
 
Xav's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 361
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Yep that's why so many men had my ex wife.
Eventually we all move on to something better after a while though.
Oh snap!
__________________
System I: intel 2500k || Asus P8P67 Pro || 4GB Gskill DDR3 Ripjaws || EVGA GTX570SC || SB X-Fi || OCZ GameXstream 600W || Klipsch PM 5.1 Ultra || Gateway FHD2401 LCD

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 04:36 PM   #15
shabby
Forcefed GXP
 
shabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,138
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
What 1080p source are you using shabby? Or are you just BS'ing...
I have a couple 1080i transport streams and compare them to the 1080p hddvd movies. Theres really no need to argue about it because you cant tell me that im wrong if i see a difference.
__________________
2500k/Asus P67-Pro/8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3/X25-M/p190
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 05:13 PM   #16
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
I have a couple 1080i transport streams and compare them to the 1080p hddvd movies. Theres really no need to argue about it because you cant tell me that im wrong if i see a difference.
I'm trying to tell if you are seeing a difference due to different sources or actual 1080i/p differences.

HD DVD's are 1080p.... so what HD DVD player with 1080p output are you using?

A real test is to use a Toshiba XA2, with one movie, and switch it's output from 1080i/p back and forth to a given TV. You will see no difference.

Comparing some stream to a movie on a disc is meaningless as you are comparing different material which is not objective. What you are failing to realize is that an SXRD displays 1080p PERIOD, regardless of whether the input is i/p.
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 05:29 PM   #17
superklye
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Location: MKE
Posts: 13,629
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Looks like it's going to be $199 MSRP.
http://hddvd.highdefdigest.com/news/...ayer:_$199/911

I assume it's going to be priced a bit less in stores though.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 05:34 PM   #18
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

199 retail, can you imagine street price + disc offers? This player might be "free" for all intents and purposes.
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 06:58 PM   #19
shabby
Forcefed GXP
 
shabby's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 1,138
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I'm trying to tell if you are seeing a difference due to different sources or actual 1080i/p differences.

HD DVD's are 1080p.... so what HD DVD player with 1080p output are you using?

A real test is to use a Toshiba XA2, with one movie, and switch it's output from 1080i/p back and forth to a given TV. You will see no difference.

Comparing some stream to a movie on a disc is meaningless as you are comparing different material which is not objective. What you are failing to realize is that an SXRD displays 1080p PERIOD, regardless of whether the input is i/p.
Regular dvd's are also displayed as 1080p on the sxrd yet they look like ****, dont assume I wont see a difference alright.
__________________
2500k/Asus P67-Pro/8gb Corsair Vengeance DDR3/X25-M/p190
shabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-07, 07:05 PM   #20
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
Regular dvd's are also displayed as 1080p on the sxrd yet they look like ****, dont assume I wont see a difference alright.
Again, DIFFERENT SOURCES.

Can you not answer the question? It's OK to be wrong. You're comparing a 480p source, completely irrelevant.

Do you have a 1080p HD DVD player? Have you used the SAME HD DVD DISC, and outputted 1080i/p and noted any differences?

Graphics in games etc, all opinion, I know. This subject however has no room for opinion as the FACT is an SXRD will show zero difference when fed a 1080i/p signal from the SAME SOURCE AND MEDIA. When you say a DVD looks like **** it's THE DVD, not the fact that it's interlaced or progressive. You're digging a hole for yourself and just looking stupid here. The only way to compare 1080i versus 1080p is to use ONE player, ONE disc, and ONE TV. Then switch output mode on the player. This way you have eliminated all other sources of disparity such as encode, native format, player differences etc.

What would you say the difference would be between a 1080p feed to a 1080p TV... and a 1080i feed deinterlaced by a 1080p TV would be shabby? One hint: nothing.
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 08-31-07, 07:51 PM   #21
Zelda_fan
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,299
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

HI! HO! HEE! HI-YA!
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-07, 09:13 PM   #22
evilchris
 
evilchris's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: San Diego, CA
Posts: 4,411
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

lol
__________________
[CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
[/CENTER][B][CENTER]--Communist Party of America--[/CENTER][/B]
evilchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-07, 12:33 PM   #23
MustangSVT
Stop looking at me
 
MustangSVT's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2004
Posts: 1,602
Default Re: Incoming Chinese HD DVD players confirmed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
Regular dvd's are also displayed as 1080p on the sxrd yet they look like ****, dont assume I wont see a difference alright.
Quote:
I have a couple 1080i transport streams and compare them to the 1080p hddvd movies. Theres really no need to argue about it because you cant tell me that im wrong if i see a difference.
Comparing different sources.

Regular dvd's are a 480p source, so that's a moot point. And HD-DVDs are better codec & bitrate than a cable HD capture.

What evilchris is talking about is comparing 1080i and 1080p from the same source, HD-DVD. You will see that there is no difference.

"I'd bet you $10,000 cash you couldn't determine which was which of a 1080i/p playback to a 1080p TV. A 1080p TV displays 1080p PERIOD, regardless of what you feed it. Deinterlacers in current 1080p TV's produce the exact same image and you gain no benefit from sending 1080p versus 1080i from your playback source."

The above is 100% correct.
__________________
1. Q6600 @ 3.2, ASUS P5Q Pro Turbo, Powercolor HD 4890 CrossFire, 4GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, 3x 24" LCD, Matrox TripleHead2Go, Audigy 2 ZS

2. Q9550 @ 3.7, ASUS P5K, Galaxy 8800GT G92, 2GB Mushkin DDR2-1066, Samsung 710N + Samsung 205BW, Audigy 2 + SB Live! 5.1 (hooked up together, really), dad's comp

3. XP-M 2500+ @ 205x11.5, Gigabyte nForce2-400, GeForce4 Ti4200, 2x512MB OCZ DDR-400 "Premier", oldie
MustangSVT is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.