Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-10-07, 10:41 AM   #13
Sithlord

Default Re: EN8800GTS/HTDP/320M TV-Out madness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xevious
I have seen this problem when for some reason the card is outputing a composite (not component) signal over a s-video cable or vise-versa. These two output types are usually on the same dongle. Once it is set to the correct setting then I see full color (just a suggestion).
Every solution/suggestion must be tried. Here are the results:

TVStandard : PAL-N
NO TVOutFormat
Connection : SVIDEO to SVIDEO
=> B&W display

TVOutFormat : SVIDEO
=> B&W display

TVStandard : PAL-B
TVOutFormat : SVIDEO
=> Got color !!!!! Yeah !

TVStandard : PAL-B
TVOutFormat : COMPOSITE
Connection : Supplied Component adapter to single RCA (Green RCA of adapter)
=> B&W display

TVOutFormat : COMPOSITE
Connection : Supplied Component adapter to single RCA (Green RCA of adapter)
=> No signal on TV (not a black screen, really NO SIGNAL)

Setting back TVStandard to PAL-B, still "NO SIGNAL" on TV ! Wow...

Setting back TVStandard to PAL-B, TVOutFormat to SVIDEO and connecting back SVIDEO to SVIDEO cable : Got colors again ! Nice.

Internal AutoDetection in the driver is clearly BROKEN ! On WinXP, autodetect always works perfectly whatever cable type you are using. There's something to fix here.

At least now I get colors and I know how to force them.

SIDE NOTE : The README says that PAL-N is used in France and this is wrong! In France, the standard is SECAM, which is technically quite close to PAL-B. This standard was made in the late 60's to be able to display a B&W image on B&W TVs from a COLOR signal. The plain PAL standard wouldn't be compatible with existing TVs people had bought at that time. SECAM will disappear in 2011 when the legacy hertzian analog TV system will cease to emit, replaced by DVB only signal.
Sithlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:30 AM   #14
hadron

Angry Re: EN8800GTS/HTDP/320M TV-Out madness

Just to bump this. I have exactly the same issues. B&W display under Linux with latest NVidia drivers. Appalling. Just works under XP so I know its not the HW. Could someone please advise on the correct xorg.conf settings for composite out from the 8800GTS.
hadron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 05:02 PM   #15
ookami

Default Re: EN8800GTS/HTDP/320M TV-Out madness

My install comes up black and white, but after I do a crtl-alt-backspace, it comes back in color. It's a silly hack to have to do.

My main problem is the resolution on the tv is set improperly no matter what I do and TVOverscan does nothing on 8500GT.
ookami is offline   Reply With Quote