Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you want NVIDIA linux drivers open-source?
Yeah, as it would benefit users and NVIDIA 64 81.01%
Yeah, though I think it wouldn't benefit NVIDIA itself 9 11.39%
No, I'm ok with binary-only drivers 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-09-03, 10:28 AM   #13
omas

Well, what are you all waiting for?

Sign it!!!
omas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 11:55 AM   #14
bwkaz

Ehhh... is there any way you could edit the petition text?

There are a few typos in there that I'd change (apostrophes in the wrong place, and stuff like that), and a couple of things that I'd say differently if I were you -- words like "bulls**t", while getting the point across well, may not work all that well in the end. Sounding professional is the way to go with something like this...

The other thing is, I've read somewhere the amount of "points" given to each method of contacting (for example) U.S. Senators -- I'd assume the same sort of scale would apply to this as well. They give 100 points to a phone call or hardcopy mailing (assuming it's actually personalized), 25-50 to an email, and about 0.5 to an online petition. Now you say you'll snail mail the petition results to nVidia; I don't know how that would come out on this scale, but the fact that it's an online petition may reduce the credibility. Allow me to emphasize the "may" in that sentence again.

I know I, for one, will write a letter to them.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:26 PM   #15
jackangel

i don't know if i can change typos, i've already sent request to petitiononline.com asking for that.
as for the bull**** etc., that's just my emphatic mood when i was writing that.
yeah, that may be true about the online petition stuff, but i hope snail-mailing it will be credible enough.
jackangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:31 PM   #16
jackangel

allow me to say that this petition doesn't only count number of sign-ins, but also records people names AND e-mails, so it should get points as number_of_people*points_for_email, provided that e-mail addresses are valid
jackangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 10:03 AM   #17
how

Hi everybody,

I would just like to discuss this. It is my observation that by the look of the linux forum more and more bugs and problem appear than the bug fixes for each release of the driver. I think alot of us including me like good working drivers. And bringing out opensource would definitely help alot, because I think there is are many capable people who can do bug fixes but are exclude because the drivers are not opensourced. What do you think everyone and Nvidia?

kind regards
How
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 12:55 PM   #18
alien999999999

Send a message via ICQ to alien999999999

you could start a sourceforge project for the linux nvidia drivers under GPL, or start your own cvs server and let lots of people help developing the drivers...

I can understand that it would seem weird to a company, but that would help your case, as bugfixes would be less and less, you wouldn't lose your advantage to competition, because you'd have an big community helping you out... in fact it will increase speed of driver release.

under that license no one can use your code, and because that code is public you can accuse competition much easier, should they do something.

plus if you'd go under GPL, the competition will follow...

no to mention that XFree could release their version with your drivers so that linux users would have direct access to the right drivers...

using a sourceforge project will be free and sourceforge has a lot of licenses they support. and it's an easy way to get lots of developpers to work together to make perfect drivers...

Alien
Old 05-27-03, 12:57 PM   #19
Thunderbird

A lot of users think that opensourcing a driver directly leads to a very good driver. This doesn't have to be true. For example look at the Radeon drivers. Ati provides all specs (they don't allow all to be used ..) but the dri drivers still aren't that great in terms of quality, stability and also performance.

To create very good drivers you need a lot of developers and they also need to know the hardware well.

Nvidia's current Linux drivers are quite optimal in terms of 3D performance (that is what most people care about). Nvidia uses a special unified library/kernel module that is shared between Windows, Linux, FreeBSD and other operating systems. More than 90% of the code is the same on all platforms. The other 10% is platform specific code (kernel glue, xfree86 ..).

Good programmers are working on the xfree86 part of the drivers. Including a member of the Xfree86 Core team (Mark Voljikovic). The 2D performance in recent drivers might be a little less but that is because a new architecture they are using to prevent other problems (twinview related for example).

The Linux drivers nvidia provides are very good compared to what the competition offers. Even compared to the Windows drivers the performance (atleast in 3D) is great. An opensource driver won't directly help. It is hard to build a fast (unified) driver and patents make some things about impossible to implement in an opensource driver. (for example S3TC)
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-03, 03:08 PM   #20
lajiri

Default The Last Sentence

Last edited by lajiri; 12-13-09 at 10:25 PM.
lajiri is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-27-03, 09:34 PM   #21
how

you said linux nvidia drivers are good at the moment. But I say it is not working properly most of the time. Have you read about the thread about people have performance issues on gf2 mx cards? results that are worst than TNT or TNT2?
And look at all those hardware problems TV-out, black screen, AGP...etc
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-03, 04:22 AM   #22
Thunderbird

Some of these problems are in that last 10% of the code. Most mainly appear because X configuring problems. On windows you don't have a server to set up.

The AGP troubles exist on windows too. Various features like SBA/FW .. are disabled without knowing it. The problem is a little less there because you need a AGP driver from your hardware manufacturer. Windows useally only includes a Intel driver. I think the hardware provided agpgart driver might be a bit better.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-03, 05:23 PM   #23
bwkaz

We also don't see the thousands of people here that are having no problems whatsoever.

Like me (though I am speaking up now...).
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-03, 01:54 AM   #24
leibold

There is no doubt in my mind that I do want open source drivers for nvidia hardware (chipsets and graphics), but in this poll you make me choose whether or not I think such a move will benefit nvidia.
There is one very clear benefit and that is to stop the complaints about the lack of an open source driver
Having a worldwide community of developers making changes to your product however could easily go both ways. It is very easy to envision situations were a company releasing their drivers can get hurt in the process. Furthermore it's something they really have only one shot at. Opening the driver source is not something that can be undone. For this reason a lot of hardware companies feel safer keeping things secret. There really isn't anybody that can guarantee that opening the driver sources will bring any form of improvement to the company (whether it be more sales or reduced support costs).
There is one thing that the open source community has going for itself and that is the fact that it has a very good track record of acting responsibly. Hopefully the positive experiences of other companies that have gone through the process of releasing their drivers will help to convince those that so far haven't.
leibold is offline   Reply With Quote