Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Do you want NVIDIA linux drivers open-source?
Yeah, as it would benefit users and NVIDIA 64 81.01%
Yeah, though I think it wouldn't benefit NVIDIA itself 9 11.39%
No, I'm ok with binary-only drivers 6 7.59%
Voters: 79. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-29-03, 02:19 AM   #25
Cheshiremackat
Crush K8

Default For the record...

I have no problems with the nvidia drivers at present... 3123 was a stinker for 2d but that was it...

basically, I would like to see a best of both worlds type situation... where Nvidia's source is opened up, but there are nvidia developers still writing code... there are some really talented people in "the community" that I am sure could tackle problems that are too minor/rare to be of much concern... If a specific combo of hardware conflicts then the community might be the best solution... however we need to be weary that the corportate managers will continue to fund development when other people do it for "free"... we may end up shooting ourselves in the foot...

I would happily support open source (GPL) co-developement, but not community development alone... (sorry ATi/DRI group)...

Consider the "worst case" before we go demanding anything... we might get more then we bargain for...

_CMK

P.S. Andy I think the drivers are fine...
Cheshiremackat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-03, 03:04 AM   #26
uno

Default open source = good, well documented = best

Making the driver open source would be really nice but there are not many people who can manage to understand it if all comments are cut-off the source which seems to be very large compared to the binary size

Since the last version of the driver works pretty good compared to the one for Windows I think it is better to release more detailed information about the configuration parameters, to send some ideas to Andy to add more parameters where the behaviour of the driver can be tuned very fine, creating GUI which can be used to control these parameters (as done in the Windows version).

Let's take for example the TV output: using GUI you can pan, resize, change resolution, prevent fllickering and see the result like it is under Windows. Making manual changes in the XFree configuration file and restarting X server takes time and people do not have flexible visual control for the result on TV.

Taking the above example if there is open-source driver experienced coders can find what functions to use and code their own controlling tool and release it to other people (and in the near future of the release it can be implemented in the nVidia driver). If the driver is not open-source nVidia guys can release development library with well documented functions and the task of searching in large amount of sources will gone and making such tools will take less time IMO. So I don't know what will be better for all linux users. Development library and specific nVidia driver debug library/tool which can find what are problems and make specific report what is the error and where it occurred. It depends on the current nVidia developers to help with library (not messing with patents) or release sources (making troubles with patents).

Best regards
uno
Old 06-11-03, 01:29 PM   #27
SnapIT

Default Well, the bugs would be squashed...

As the drivers are now, Nvidia happily anounces buggy code as good drivers... i mean, if linux hangs, you complain about your distro, right? I have seen it in this forum, blame it on GTK+, blame it on the program, blame it on the Kernel or whatever...

But the thing is, if i could get a hold of this source, i could solve my customers problems with Maya3D and my sons problems with SOF and FAKK2... and it wouldn't cost them a penny when i let them have the code i created... just a (created by SnapIT) by the link...

Nvidia drivers as they are now, are pre-alpha by WinNT standards, and it's a shame that otherwise stable systems like Linux and FreeBSD have to use this buggy code...

Nvidia... for god's sake, stop releasing drivers that are not tested or go Open Source, PLEASE!!
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 06:31 PM   #28
Noth

I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have never had a single problem I could trace back to their drivers. If you're having problems with your computer I suspect something other than their drivers.
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 07:27 PM   #29
SnapIT

Quote:
Originally posted by Noth
I've said it before and I'll say it again, I have never had a single problem I could trace back to their drivers. If you're having problems with your computer I suspect something other than their drivers.
well, that is 1 (one) out of how many? Why is this forum so filled with seemingly unsolvable problems? and no "i at least manage to solve it that way" doesn't really count if ten people didn't...

The drivers are supposed to work with standard stuff... ever check out rock linux? can you get more standardized than that?

I use slackware and on the latest stable kernel 2.4.20... the drivers suck... the older drivers were a bit better (almost an alpha) but this is way before alpha...

What 3d Apps are you running btw, obviously not Maya or 3d games... so what are you running?
SnapIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-03, 09:29 PM   #30
Noth

Quote:
well, that is 1 (one) out of how many? Why is this forum so filled with seemingly unsolvable problems? and no "i at least manage to solve it that way" doesn't really count if ten people didn't...
My point is that the driver works, those with problems obviously have something that doesn't work in conjunction with their driver, which may or may not be the nvidia driver's problem.

Quote:
The drivers are supposed to work with standard stuff... ever check out rock linux?
Sorry, I've never used that distro. I've had my Debian install for ~4 years and I've seen no reason to get rid of it.

Quote:
I use slackware and on the latest stable kernel 2.4.20... the drivers suck... the older drivers were a bit better (almost an alpha) but this is way before alpha...
I use Debian with 2.4.20 with XFS patches (can't rememeber if anything else is in there, been a while since I compiled it) and it works flawlessly. I play q3 on it almost daily and leave the box up for weeks and I can't remember the last time I had a problem.

Quote:
obviously not Maya or 3d games... so what are you running?
Q3 is about the only 3D game I play, but like I said I play it almost daily. I have run 3D apps like Radiant, but not very often.
Noth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-03, 06:36 AM   #31
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

I think that Open source the Nvidia drivers will give benefits to both , users and Nvidia by itself , because leave the community work over the drivers will save human resources in Nvidia that can utilize in other ways, Nvidia can make a driver plugin that adds commercial features to who wants use things that can't be in an open source driver (like S3TC/DXTC ) , this kind of development will bring many good things to both , THINK ABOUT IT

BYe
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-03, 06:38 AM   #32
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

An addition :

ATI should make business in this way too , but is not a very smart company to give support neither with Binary drivers to the Linux Community

Bye

Last edited by BrianzaMan; 06-12-03 at 06:55 AM.
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-12-03, 05:41 PM   #33
bwkaz

Quote:
Originally posted by SnapIT
You obviously haven't seen the thousands of problems that have been reported that were simple fixes, most of them documented in the README. Of all the threads I've responded to since I came here, the VAST majority have been in this class -- the threads with no solution (that I've responded to) number in the tens. Twenty or thirty out of a thousand is not bad.

Quote:
What 3d Apps are you running btw, obviously not Maya or 3d games... so what are you running?
You really want a listing, don't you. Well, OK then, in no particular order:

Quake 1, yes, in GL mode
Quake 2
Descent 3
Rune
Return to Castle Wolfenstein (the original, not ET)
Unreal Gold
Unreal Tournament (the original)
Unreal Tournament 2003
Cube
TuxRacer
And every mod for Half-Life that I ever found (plus the game itself), running under WineX, configured for OpenGL mode.

So you want to tell me those aren't 3D games? All of them work flawlessly.

/me thinks you have issues elsewhere on (or in) your system if these drivers won't work... it's just that the process of narrowing down where the issue is is hard.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-04, 06:05 AM   #34
alfrenovsky

Maybe nvidia cards are not really 3D, just a fast video processor.
And all the 3D solution is software based. So they are afraid to release the "sekrit cooooode" (must be pronunced with ultratomb voice)

--
Alfrenovsky