Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-05-07, 07:20 PM   #13
Rakeesh

Default Re: Upgrading speaker wire

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Believe it or not coax is the best to run.
Coax is good for pre-amp (also called line or line out) wiring, but do NOT use coax for post-amp wiring.

How do you tell what is pre-amp and what is post-amp you might ask? Well, do the speakers at the other end of the wire have a volume knob on them? If then answer is no, then it is probably post-amp.

@SOAD_rule: You want braided wire, not that solid stuff you have in your second pic (it is far too brittle for what you are doing.) Also that cable doesn't appear to be polarity marked. You want to avoid mixing the positive and negative ends, and using those wires would make that difficult. It won't break anything if you get them backwards, but your speakers may be 180 degrees out of phase with each other (e.g. one speaker is pushing a crest while the other is pushing a valley at the same time,) causing them to either partially cancel each other out, or just plain sound awkward.

If you are running a length less than 50ft, use 18AWG or larger braided copper wire. Any other typical home setup (rarely ever above 100ft for any given speaker) should use 16AWG braided copper wire. If in doubt at all, just use 16AWG as it isn't expensive at all and is more than adequate for just about anything. Don't worry about whether it is oxygen free or not as that is a marketing gimmick and won't make any significant difference (if it is, that's fine, just don't pay too much for it.) This should work fine, and it is decently priced:

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...ormat=2&style=

Regardless of what you do, cut all of the wires to be the same length for each set of speakers. For example, the front right, center, and front left should be the same length, the rear right and rear left should be the same length, and the back left and back right should be the same length. If they are off by an inch or two don't worry about it, just don't have them off by say several feet or so.

See this for more info:

http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/do...rect-wire.html

They recommend no less than 16 AWG for any setup, which isn't a bad idea.

Your sub should support line level inputs, so use coax with RCA heads for that. If your sub and/or receiver doesn't do this, then you have a sh*tty sub and/or receiver and you have to connect it to the same wiring as your front left and right speakers. Or unless your sub is also your only amp...which is equally cheesy...usually such setups are technically really a 5.0 setup in that the sub doesn't have its own dedicated LFE channel.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SOAD_rule
Also, does anyone have a good link for the placement of 5.1 speakers?

Room is shaped triangular at the top and is around 3 meteres by 6 meters long.

It will hopefully be focused for one person

cheers
http://www.audioholics.com/tweaks/ca...-up-basics-101

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:21 PM   #14
evilghost

Explain why I shouldn't use coax for post-amp assuming that the braided gauge and center core is sufficient for the amperage/voltage, and the resistance value of the cabling isn't of a value to cause truncation of a signal?
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-07, 08:27 PM   #15
Rakeesh

Quote:
Explain why I shouldn't use coax for post-amp assuming that the braided gauge and center core is sufficient for the amperage/voltage, and the resistance value of the cabling isn't of a value to cause truncation of a signal?
I had somebody explain all of the reasoning to me once (I used to use coax for everything,) and don't remember most of it, but the short of it is that EM interference doesn't really effect post-amp signals much at all, and with coax wires you are going to have more issues with the cables getting bent and broken in a typical speaker setup. Plus you can't easily run them inside of walls and underneath flooring. Plus if you are going to use coax, you'd probably want RG6 or else the inner wire will be way too thin.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Old 09-05-07, 08:33 PM   #16
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
I had somebody explain all of the reasoning to me once (I used to use coax for everything,) and don't remember most of it, but the short of it is that EM interference doesn't really effect post-amp signals much at all, and with coax wires you are going to have more issues with the cables getting bent and broken in a typical speaker setup. Plus you can't easily run them inside of walls and underneath flooring. Plus if you are going to use coax, you'd probably want RG6 or else the inner wire will be way too thin.
I can see that being the case, since a linear amplifier will amplify ambient noise in the line, however, if you're making long runs, especially in parallel to AC power lines, I can see coax as a huge benefit versus straight braided wire.

The other arguments in regard to flooring/angling are moot since you run coax for CATV/SAT.

Not trying to be dominating; I was hoping to find out why I was wrong, and I respect your input.
Old 09-05-07, 08:43 PM   #17
Rakeesh

Quote:
The other arguments in regard to flooring/angling are moot since you run coax for CATV/SAT.
Depends on how your layout is. It is a lot easier to hide ordinary copper wire than coax, regardless of where it is. If your speakers are on a stand or are mounted to a wall or ceiling, you can easily just run the wires along the mount and bend it at e.g. 90 degree angles willy nilly. Unless you have a big hollow mount, it will be a lot more difficult to hide coax.

If you have 14AWG wire or smaller, you can probably run it perpendicular to a power line or two just fine. Parallel is a whole other issue, in which case not only would you want coax, but probably a quad shield coax for the duration of that particular run.

Old 09-05-07, 08:53 PM   #18
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Depends on how your layout is. It is a lot easier to hide ordinary copper wire than coax, regardless of where it is. If your speakers are on a stand or are mounted to a wall or ceiling, you can easily just run the wires along the mount and bend it at e.g. 90 degree angles willy nilly. Unless you have a big hollow mount, it will be a lot more difficult to hide coax.

If you have 14AWG wire or smaller, you can probably run it perpendicular to a power line or two just fine. Parallel is a whole other issue, in which case not only would you want coax, but probably a quad shield coax for the duration of that particular run.
QS FTW! Ran it for SRS DirecWay and it's great. By the way, 14AWG is pretty hefty for speakerwire, that's the same gauge as 14-2 which is used for residential wiring except for when 12-2 is reqired like on a GFI circuit/bathroom. I know, state code to county code to city code. I can only speak for Alabama w/regard to residential.
Old 09-06-07, 03:00 AM   #19
Redeemed

Wow. Ya'll know a ton of stuff. I'm not quite a noob when it comes to audio equipment but ya'll sure do make me look like one.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-07, 07:44 AM   #20
Rakeesh

I am not an expert on audio equipment myself, this is mostly coming from experience installing my own home wiring for several different projects.