Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > Other Desktop Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-08-07, 10:16 AM   #25
Xion X2

Default Re: No AA for ATi in BioSHock

WTF? I was playing Doom 3 on Ultra Quality on my 850XT.....

You are in your own little world, that's for sure.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 10:21 AM   #26
gabamanic
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
WTF? I was playing Doom 3 on Ultra Quality on my 850XT.....

You are in your own little world, that's for sure.

I guess he is saying there is a specific problem with the G80 and Open GL but I will be darned I have never experienced it. I played through doom 3 and prey with my X1900XT and now with the G80 it looks even better with the extra AA and the FPS are much higher without going under 60 at any point.

Its just funny that a lot of issues people mention like the Alt Tab problem has never been an issue for me either and I game for hours on end sometimes and have never once had Alt tab out of any of my games because of a sudden FPS drop. I would be pissed as #%^$# if that ever happened to me and would have dropped this card ages ago if that was the case. Alt tabbing out of a game every 15minutes to restore FPS?? WTF are people doing to their rigs to cause that to happen?

I guess its all in how well you maintain your system and being thorough when you uninstall and reinstall new drivers etc...
gabamanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 10:44 AM   #27
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabamanic
Its just funny that a lot of issues people mention like the Alt Tab problem has never been an issue for me either and I game for hours on end sometimes and have never once had Alt tab out of any of my games because of a sudden FPS drop. I would be pissed as #%^$# if that ever happened to me and would have dropped this card ages ago if that was the case. Alt tabbing out of a game every 15minutes to restore FPS?? WTF are people doing to their rigs to cause that to happen?
This existed, though, because I had it. And you know that I maintain my system well.

Nvidia's issued a public response to this and admitted that there is a memory leak somewhere in the drivers that causes this. It seems to only happen on certain games, though, and it doesn't happen nearly as often on the GTX as it does the GTS's. Last I heard even Microsoft has responded and released a hotfix that addresses the issue. I think it has to do with the odd memory sizes that Nv chose for their cards this time around going w/ 320, 640, 768 instead of 512 and 1024 like ATI did.

Regardless of what's causing it, we as users shouldn't be required to boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner to avoid an issue like this, anyway (if that's what is causing a problem.) Lousy programming on Nvidia's end. They should have an uninstaller that removes all files that may prove to be conflicting with a new driver.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-07, 11:11 AM   #28
gabamanic
*BANNED*

Quote:
This existed, though, because I had it. And you know that I maintain my system well.
Yeah im not doubting that there isn't some sort of odd issue out there with the alt tab bug but I just find it odd it has never happened to me not even once and we both played a lot of the same games so its just weird. Granted there were a couple of games that you played which I never did play such as Vanguard etc... However if I ever experience the issue you will be the first to know about it. LOL.

I wonder if its more specific to the Motherboard GPU combination? did it happen to you with the 680I board?

Quote:
I think it has to do with the odd memory sizes that Nv chose for their cards this time around going w/ 320, 640, 768 instead of 512 and 1024 like ATI did.
Right on the money, Microsoft released a Hot fix for this under Vista.

Quote:
we as users shouldn't be required to boot into safe mode and run driver cleaner to avoid an issue like this, anyway (if that's what is causing a problem.)
You probably don't have to do that every time you install a new driver but I just do it because it only takes a couple of extra minutes and I had rather be 100% sure that the reg files get completely deleted. Its Piece of mind for me and I know for sure that im getting a nice clean install with my new driver.

Also a lot of guys were flaming me and calling me a Liar when I told them that Triple Buffering was working by default in Nvidias latest Bioshock Beta drivers under both XP and Vista however they quickly changed their tune and apologized to me when they reinstalled the driver using my guide.
gabamanic is offline   Reply With Quote