Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-03, 02:43 PM   #13
jongew

hey,

i have the same problem: duron900 on KT133, Leadtek GF2MX400.

linux 2.4.20, slackware 9

glxgears ~ 300fps, quake3 unbearable :`(

i shortened fish's quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by fish
My setup -> 342.800 FPS
and:
[/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card]
Fast Writes: Not Supported

A friend's setup 1560.000 FPS
and:
[/proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card]
Fast Writes: Supported
maybe it has something to do with "fast writes"? can one influence this by a setting in XF86Config?

i tried to change linux AGPART to built-in NvAGP, doesn't make a difference (perhaps even slightly slower?)
jongew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 02:58 PM   #14
fish

You should be able to force Fast Writes by module - parameters (option NVreg_EnableAGPFW), which does not work for me also the card is able to do it (it works with my friend's setup and the manufacturer claims it is able to do it too!).

I tried all available nvidia-module-options and all X11-settings I can imagine.
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 03:18 PM   #15
jongew

Quote:
You should be able to force Fast Writes by module - parameters (option NVreg_EnableAGPFW)
hey, it might work for me... never hurts to try does it?

i'm not much of an expert, which line should i add to which configuration file ? *blush*

tnx
Old 04-08-03, 03:55 PM   #16
Ralph Scharpf

Hi,

I have an 8rda+ with nforce 2 and a Leadtec WinFast with GeForce2MX-400. My frame rate is at 800FPS when using 16 BPP and at 370 FPS when using 24 BPP.

I also did some tests on a laptop with a GeForce2 Go GPU. It is about 80% faster!

All playing around with setup and drivers did not really gives any better performace. On both systems fast writes and SBA are disabled. So this also seems not to be the reason

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes: Not Supported
SBA: Not Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000007:0x1f000104

This says the GPU doesn't support SBC and Fast Writes.

I thought bying chipset and GPU from same manufacturer will ensure I am not running into too many performance problems. But I failed. Even the latest BIOS craches my GPU (or AGP or what else)

So nvidia, please help solving the problem. I saw a lot of people, especially with nforce2 chipsets havin big performance problems and there is no feedback from your side!

Ralph
Ralph Scharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 03:56 PM   #17
fish

there are two methods:
1)
if you load the nvidia module via insmod:
insmod nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
2)
if you want to automate it:
edit /etc/modules.conf and insert these two lines (depends on distribution, e.g. for debian you have to use modconf:

alias char-major-195 nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1

But that does not work for me.
I don't know if you could damage anything, nvidias documentation on module parameters seems (not seems but is, I just want to be polite) to be outdated or at least uncomplete too.
e.g. docs says that this option exists:
Option "NoLogo" "boolean"
but "modinfo nvidia" shows that this option doesn't exist.

Please, nvidia-guys, give me a hint!
I need it for a project and don't want to buy a new card!
I really like your hardware (especially the GL Extensions, you can do cool things with it) and not had non-nvidia-chips for years, but now I first time really suffer under your closed-source drivers (I don't want to critize it), but I myself don't know what to do - I DO NEED HELP!
Old 04-08-03, 04:10 PM   #18
bwkaz

Quote:
Option "NoLogo" "boolean"
but "modinfo nvidia" shows that this option doesn't exist.

That's because modinfo only tells you about the module options. If you look in the README, what's being described there are the XFree86 driver options.

And AFAIK, the driver options are all still implemented.
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 04:29 PM   #19
fish

@bwkaz:
I'm really sorry, you're right: nvidia's docs are NOT out of date, they're completely correct, my fault.

But I really liked to have ANY statement regarding to my (and not only my) problem.
You're really fast in correcting any misleading or simply false statements, but I could not find any comment on the actual problem! - does that mean NVIDIA is aware of the problem or is not aware of the problem or ignores it or works on it or ... - what?!?

You said "And AFAIK, the driver options are all still implemented."
Does that mean they still do not work? - Maybe that's the reason I can't enable Fast Writes?
Can the disabled Fast Writes cause these performace losses?
Old 04-08-03, 04:49 PM   #20
jongew

Quote:
there are two methods:

if you want to automate it:
edit /etc/modules.conf and insert these two lines (depends on distribution, e.g. for debian you have to use modconf:

alias char-major-195 nvidia
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPFW=1
FastWrite: Not Supported

but hey, a minor improvement: i'm up to 415fps with glx-gears now! (instead of ~300). and 715 when in 16bpp mode.

hmmmmmmmm..... if you understand, i understand

it's a shame the nvidia guys didn't notice this thread ...

Last edited by jongew; 04-08-03 at 04:54 PM.

Old 04-08-03, 05:30 PM   #21
fish

Quote:
it's a shame the nvidia guys didn't notice this thread ...
noticing or ignoring - that's the question!
Old 04-08-03, 05:46 PM   #22
bwkaz

Quote:
but I could not find any comment on the actual problem! - does that mean NVIDIA is aware of the problem or is not aware of the problem or ignores it or works on it or ... - what?!?
That means I don't have any good ideas. I wanted to make sure people weren't getting the wrong impression about the documentation, but I don't know what the slowdown issue is, no.

And I'm not affiliated with nVidia at all, either. It almost sounds like you think that may be the case; it's not.

Quote:
You said "And AFAIK, the driver options are all still implemented." Does that mean they still do not work?
That means that they're implemented: the XFree86 driver recognizes and uses all of them (assuming the hardware support is there -- UBB, for example, doesn't work on non-Quadro cards). The kernel module also recognizes and uses NVreg_EnableAGPFW and others, if it's given them, and assuming that both the host-bridge and the card support it (check the various /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/* files, like you've done).

Quote:
Maybe that's the reason I can't enable Fast Writes?
Well, FW is a kernel module option, not an XFree86 option. It works for me. I see from your earlier posts that the card file says that FW (and SBA) are both not enabled on the card -- this has nothing to do with the chipset/GPU, it has everything to do with the manufacturer, and the card as a whole. The contents of the /proc file is what the hardware is telling the kernel module, too, so it's not like it's wrong. Your friend's card worked because it's a different card, that reports to the kernel module that it can do FW.

Quote:
Can the disabled Fast Writes cause these performace losses?
Possibly, but not likely. FW aren't really all that fast, but they might help a bit.
Old 04-08-03, 06:11 PM   #23
fish

Quote:
That means I don't have any good ideas.
I wanted to make sure people weren't getting the wrong impression about the documentation, but I don't know what the slowdown issue is, no.
I understand completely. The documentation is, as I corrected myself, correct.

Quote:
And I'm not affiliated with nVidia at all, either. It almost sounds like you think that may be the case; it's not.
I'm sad, I really believed that I found at least one person that is able to help.
You seem to have a large amount of knowledge concerning these kind of problems - so I assume you have some connections to nvidia - can you help in getting a statement from them?
Old 04-08-03, 07:12 PM   #24
bwkaz

Hmm... not really...

I suppose we can wait for Andy Mecham to look into this thread, since he is from nVidia. I've also seen one or two others from there posting once in a while, but they've got like 6 posts total, each, so yeah.