Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-08-03, 07:17 PM   #25
how

Even TNT can do 400fps in glxgears with my same system. Do I convince you there really is a problem with the drivers now? Nvidia?
how is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 02:20 AM   #26
jongew

Quote:
Originally posted by bwkaz
Your friend's card worked because it's a different card, that reports to the kernel module that it can do FW.
if i understood correctly, it's the same card...

was it exactly the same card fish? Leadtek GF2MX400?

although Ralph Scharpf stated that it isn't the FastWrites, he's comparing apples and oranges (mainboard, card, manufacturer all different), so i don't know whether excluding FastWrites as an option is safe now...

And eh, fish:
Quote:
Originally posted by fish
noticing or ignoring - that's the question!
inflammatory coments like these sure as hell won't get Andy Mecham to reply to this thread, don't you think so?
jongew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 04:43 AM   #27
fish

Quote:
And eh, fish:
Quote:
:Originally posted by fish
noticing or ignoring - that's the question!
inflammatory coments like these sure as hell won't get Andy Mecham to reply to this thread, don't you think so?
Of course you're right.
I just was really frustraded.
Normally I would first have a look at the code, then simply post my problem in a developer mailinglist, but with nvidia-problems there is no offical nvidia-support cause they don't sell cards, the manufacturers don't support any non-windows drivers....

@Andy Mecham: Sorry, please don't feel offended, kick me out of this forum if I was too unpolite, but at least please answer this question:
Should I get rid of my card or is there any hope?
fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 06:24 AM   #28
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

The Glxgears output that I posted earlier, my card doesn't have the FastWrites & Sideband addressing enabled either. The card that I have in that system doesn't support it. So basically that was the output generated WITHOUT that stuff enabled. Looks like it maybe time for a new card. UT2K3 doesn't play too well on that card anyway, even with everything turned right down.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 07:52 AM   #29
Ralph Scharpf

Default Further details on my Laptop

jongew is right. The 2 systems may should be compared. But I think glxgears is basically influenced in its performance by GPU. So this could give at least an estimation where framerate should be!

I also forgot to post information about the laptop I mentoined. It is an Intel PIII, 1 GHz. The GPU says it can do FW bit they are actually unused:

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

I am watching performance values from this group since some days and see that Athlon based systems (especially those with nforce2 chipsets) have a performace that is about 80% less (I mean factor 1.8 more FPS) than expected. Since I have no experience with Geforce4 GPUs I took as reference

http://sdb.suse.de/en/sdb/html/wessels_3d_results.html

Here you can see that a GeForce4 should run at up to 7000 FPS. For a GeForce2 I would expect about 1500FPS.

The GeForce2 values I compared came from different sources, most friends of mine.

All in all there seem to be less performance problems with intel based systems.

I can try to enable FW and / or SBA tonight when I am at home again. Perhaps it is a solution for me.

Ralph
Ralph Scharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-03, 12:18 PM   #30
Andy Mecham
l33t master

ugh, sorry - I haven't been ignoring it, I just forgot to come back to it. I try to post when I have free time, so I occasionally miss stuff... especially as I have no free time.

OK - something doesn't seem right. I'll try to reproduce here.

--andy
Old 04-09-03, 01:53 PM   #31
Ralph Scharpf

Post Fast writes

I tested now fast writes on my 8rda+. There is no reaction on module parameter in my system!

Ralph
Ralph Scharpf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-03, 02:22 AM   #32
jongew

same here ralph (as posted before) forcing fast writes doesn't enable fast writes...

(update) i looked in my bios settings, fastwrites are enabled there, might be that this particular card doesn't support it? i'd attach my various /proc information for the experts to look at, but i dunno howto, so it will be a cutnpaste action on the bottom of this message... sorry

andy: do you think fast writes could make a huge diference?

cat /proc/modules | grep nvidia
nvidia 1466752 10 (autoclean)

cat /proc/pci
PCI devices found:
[cut]
blah blah blah...
[/cut]
Bus 1, device 0, function 0:
VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV11 [GeForce2 MX] (rev 178).
Master Capable. Latency=248. Min Gnt=5.Max Lat=1.
Non-prefetchable 32 bit memory at 0xde000000 [0xdeffffff].

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/cards/0
Model: GeForce2 MX/MX 400
IRQ: 11
Video BIOS: 03.11.01.43.00
Card Type: AGP

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4191 Mon Dec 9 11:49:01 PST 2002
GCC version: gcc version 3.2.2

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/card
Fast Writes: Not Supported
SBA: Not Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000007:0x1f000104

Host Bridge: Via Apollo Pro KT133
Fast Writes: Supported
SBA: Supported
AGP Rates: 4x 2x 1x
Registers: 0x1f000217:0x00000104

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status
Driver: NVIDIA
AGP Rate: 4x
Fast Writes: Disabled
SBA: Disabled

Last edited by jongew; 04-10-03 at 05:59 AM.

Old 04-10-03, 06:20 AM   #33
jongew

Quote:
Originally posted by jongew

cat /proc/driver/nvidia/version
NVRM version: NVIDIA Linux x86 nvidia.o Kernel Module 1.0-4191 Mon Dec 9 11:49:01 PST 2002
GCC version: gcc version 3.2.2
ooops old driver... how did that happen? but it's the same with the 43.whatever (newest) i just re-installed it...

i'm afraid the card doesn't support it... and that's it. sucks
Old 04-10-03, 06:37 AM   #34
vbpillai

Default Bad GLX perfomance

Hi,

I have the exact same problem - its a tnt with duron on k7s5a. Here is my experience - everything works smoothly in redhat 8.0 and other distributions using 2.4.18. On the newer ones - on redhat 9 using the latest drivers, glx hogs up all the cpu and gives a terrible perfomance(please watch top when ttrying glxgears). In mandrake 9.1 - which uses 2.4.21,( I thought
probably the problem was with the high level of backports that redhat has done with 9, so I tried that ) the result is the same- hogging of cpu in glx applications. But amazingly slackware 9.0 which uses 2.4.20 works smoothly - no glx troubles with 4191 or the newer drivers. Please help.

Balagopal
vbpillai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-03, 10:46 AM   #35
jongew

Default Re: Bad GLX perfomance

vbpillai:

slackware 9 doesn't use devfs by default, i think MDK & RH do. am i right? maybe this is a difference. i don't know. it's very difficult to compare distro's -> too many differences....

anyway, i run slack9/2.4.20 and it's not very fast...

i think my cpu isn't very high with glxgears (have to check it later). and you are dealing with a TNT, a different card than the GF2MX.... is it the same problem?

what's you fps when you run glxgears on slack9? should be useful, as a reference. a GF2 should be at least as fast as a TNT
Old 04-10-03, 12:21 PM   #36
vbpillai

Default devfs

Hi jongew,

Its true that redhat and mandrake tend to use devfs, I disabled devfs support in mandrake - but the problem remains. By the way, I am getting around 400 FPS in glxgears. I dont have a problem with the number of frames, as its an old tnt. But its taking all my cpu. Same is true for any program that uses gl libraries - like a simple game in kde - kfouleggs. I was trying redhat 9 yesterday, had the same problem - so I thought I will give mandrake a try.
The gl links are pointing to the right place.

Please watch the cpu utilization when running any gl programs like glxgears. Then we can verify that we have the same problem or not.

Thanks
vbpillai is offline   Reply With Quote