Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-17-07, 10:35 PM   #13
macemoneta

Default Re: AMD To Release GPU Specifications Without NDA!

The AMD/ATI open source driver has been released as promised.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 09:09 PM   #14
Ironi

Quote:
Originally Posted by macemoneta
The AMD/ATI open source driver has been released as promised.
Indeed, but the 3D specifications are still not available. Hopefully AMD will release reasonably-complete 3D specs. Even then, it's going to take a while for a decent driver to be written, and its performance might always lag behind that of fglrx. Especially if there are any patent issues, e.g. with S3 Texture Compression... That was one deficiency of the old R200 open source driver built from partial, non-public specs; the DRI devs knew how to implement S3TC, but legally they couldn't.

I'll give AMD a year. By that time, I'll probably be considering a new system to build. If the open source graphics driver looks appealing, then I may give ATi technology another chance.

I'm not going to hold my breath, though.
Ironi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 12:08 PM   #15
uOpt
FreeBSD cheering section

It looks promising but it's not there yet.

Even just full 2D specs to implement the base including multihead, TV, XV would be a step forward.

I wouldn't bet on "free time". So far a lot of Xorg gruntwork has been payed for by a variety of companies. This is a big issue and people are willing to steamroller into it, including monetary contributions.

My Unix benchmark results
uOpt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-07, 12:28 PM   #16
macemoneta

AMD partnered with Novell to develop and release the initial open source driver. Many vendors that would like to sell Linux (Dell, HP, Lenovo, Acer, Asus) on machines with the option of using ATI video cards will undoubtedly be supporting with development resources or money.

The 2D specs are already out, and the 3D specs are being sanitized. This is moving much faster than expected. Apparently, AMD was working this behind the scenes for months before the announcement.
macemoneta is offline   Reply With Quote