Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-18-07, 04:35 AM   #1
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Send a message via MSN to gulizard Send a message via Skype™ to gulizard
Default Networking

I have a Server (Windows Server 2008 64 bit) to be exact. Everytime I attempt to share a file or folder on vista, the server sees it but will not allow me to access it. Tells me I do not have permission. I am trying to share a file from my PC to it. I connect to it remotely, its on my router. I generally use it to host games.

However since I can't allow it the access to the folder I need, I am wondering if theres something special I have to do. XP you just right clicked went to properties and turned file sharing on for that specific folder, and the other pc had access to it.

The Server does still detect this is being XP, but I think thats just a bug. Does anyone know how I can share my folder with the server? Its defiantly something on my PC, rather then the server.

Sorry for the misleading title, its 4AM , and I have to work in 1 hour. Just awoke :P.
Old 09-18-07, 08:34 AM   #2
Q

Default Re: Networking

You need to set Share permissions and NTFS permission on the file more than likely. Share permissions should be set to Everyone - Full Control and NTFS should specify the users or groups that need access to the file.

You can access these functions under the Security tab when you Right Click > Properties a file.

I had a hard time following your post, so if this isn't what you're looking for, please rephrase the question.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 09:45 AM   #3
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

I am trying to share the file with my network. So that my server can access the folder I choose to share. It works up until I am ready to click in it to browse. The public folder option works great, but thats as far as it goes. The files I right click on and choose to share, show up but if I try to browse them with the other pc on my network it tells me I do not have permissions. Sorry I thought I had to work so my typing wasn't very good earlier.

Basically I can browse the folder from my own pc. Say if I choose to share that folder with the network, then I go to "Network" and choose for example this PC it shows the folder I am sharing. I can browse it fine on this pc through the network, but if I connect to the server and try to browse that same folder it tells me I do not have permission to do so, but the folder does show up so it is sharing the folder, just not allowing me to do anything beyond that.

Update on the post.

I just right clicked a folder on the server - and told it to share it with the network. I can browse that folder from my main pc, but not the other way around. My main PC still is not allowing the server to browse the folders I choose to share.
Old 09-18-07, 09:54 AM   #4
Q

What version of Vista do you have?

If you don't have Business or Ultimate (or just not connected to a domain), you might need to disable simple file sharing so that you can properly assign permissions for Sharing and NTFS. You can do this by opening My Computer, going to Tools > Folder Options > View > Then uncheck "Use Simple File Sharing (Recommended". This will allow you to view your NTFS permissions. In XP Home and maybe in Vista Home, you might have to boot into safe mode to view these permissions.

When you right click the file > Properties > Sharing, go to the Permissions button for the share and make sure you have set the group "Everyone" to "Full Control" or just check all the Allow boxes. You'll want to manage who has access individually with the NTFS permissions described above.
Old 09-18-07, 10:17 AM   #5
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Did what ya said now nothing works. I can't access control panel it just disappears. The folder I've been trying to share the whole time now doesn't work AT ALL. It tells me I do not have access to it from my own damn pc. Control Panel, Network Places all close and won't let me access them. How do I fix this crap?

I turned off what you said I didn't see EXACTLY what you said in there, but it was the closest thing I could see. I have Vista Ultimate btw.
Old 09-18-07, 10:27 AM   #6
evilghost

Windows file sharing will use the most restrictive set of rights to determine access rights when remotely accessed. You can either adjust share or NTFS permissions. I usually control permissions on the share level.

It sounds like you borked the NTFS permissions, you'll need to reset the permissions on the folder.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-07, 10:38 AM   #7
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Thanks guys.. duh all I had to do was add Everyone to it.. can't believe that.. It still would of been nice if it worked like XP where you just click "share this folder" and thats it.
Old 09-18-07, 10:40 AM   #8
Q

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I usually control permissions on the share level.
Well...well...well.... my ExamCram 70-270 (XP Install yada ya) book told me to control on a NTFS basis.

Old 09-18-07, 10:47 AM   #9
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
Well...well...well.... my ExamCram 70-270 (XP Install yada ya) book told me to control on a NTFS basis.

Don't make me scan my MCSE cert, of course, then I'd lose credibility.

It's the most restrictive; from a security aspect it'd be better to control it both on the NTFS level as well as the share level. Your advice was 100% accurate, NTFS would be the 'catch-all'.
Old 09-18-07, 10:54 AM   #10
gulizard
"Powerstroke Diesel"

Quote:

It's the most restrictive; from a security aspect it'd be better to control it both on the NTFS level as well as the share level. Your advice was 100% accurate, NTFS would be the 'catch-all'.
So you are 100% Microsoft Free, a Linux fan to death, yet you are a Microsoft certified systems engineer? Thats freakin awesome... officially my new hero. Its like the cable man who uses DSL.
Old 09-18-07, 10:56 AM   #11
Q

Quote:

It's hard to remember that you were an MS lackey once upon a time....

How does Linux handle file sharing? Does it have separate sharing and file system level permissions, or is it all bundled into one simple and secure methodology? The reason I like just setting Share to Everyone and then managing on an NTFS level is because it becomes such a pain in the ass to make sure that permission levels are equivalent across the board. Obviously, share level restrictions would add another layer of security, but damn... things get hairy.
Old 09-18-07, 11:07 AM   #12
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Q
It's hard to remember that you were an MS lackey once upon a time....

How does Linux handle file sharing? Does it have separate sharing and file system level permissions, or is it all bundled into one simple and secure methodology? The reason I like just setting Share to Everyone and then managing on an NTFS level is because it becomes such a pain in the ass to make sure that permission levels are equivalent across the board. Obviously, share level restrictions would add another layer of security, but damn... things get hairy.
Depends on the daemon. rsync, smb, ssh, xfs, etc.