Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-20-07, 05:00 PM   #1
skullmunky

Default Problem with Forcedeth on CK804 : Bogus MAC Address

I have an Abit KN8 Ultra, nVidia CK804 chipset. I'm having problems with the MAC address on the NIC. Here's how it manifests:

1. networking works fine. ifconfig shows eth1 connected, DHCP works, i see a valid MAC address there, and i'm online posting this message.

2. but: applications that relay on the MAC address for licensing such as Maya, Performer, the CAVE, or other FlexLM-based applications, don't work. For example, when installing Maya, there are no "hardware identifiers" shown to use when requesting a license key.

3. Installing a second PCI ethernet card solves the problem, but for me introduces other weirdness with what looks like IRQ collisions between the ethernet card and my QuadroFX. (see my posts in ../Linux NVidia

i've seen a few other posts that seem kind of related elsewhere, with the solution usually being to just get a new ethernet card. i'm told there is a problem with forcedeth or with the chipset where it returns a bogus MAC address from the actual hardware and then randomly generates a valid one.

Any ideas on how to solve this? here's as much diagnostics as i know to offer:

kernel: 2.6.20-15-generic #2 SMP

output from lmhostid:

Code:
The FLEXlm host ID of this machine is ""
relevant line from lspci:

Code:
00:0a.0 Bridge: nVidia Corporation CK804 Ethernet Controller (rev a3)
from dmesg:
Code:
[    3.704000] forcedeth.c: Reverse Engineered nForce ethernet driver. Version 0.59.
[    5.240000] forcedeth: using HIGHDMA
[    5.768000] eth0: forcedeth.c: subsystem: 0147b:1c1a bound to 0000:00:0a.0
thanks for any suggestions ...
skullmunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-07, 05:05 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Problem with Forcedeth on CK804 : Bogus MAC Address

I've used Maya (and other FlexLM license daemon apps) on several systems with CK804/forcedeth NICs and never run into this problem.

You'll need to query the software vendors to determine specifically what they are expecting that isn't being found.

You should also verify that you're using the latest motherboard BIOS.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-07, 07:07 PM   #3
skullmunky

Default Re: Problem with Forcedeth on CK804 : Bogus MAC Address

hi,

just wanted to follow up and say i got this resolved. i did flash the bios, which didn't change anything; then found on the autodesk forums another post that pointed me to the solution. maya only looks at eth0; if udev decides to name the card 'eth1' then it just gets ignored, and you have no eth0. a small edit to the udev configuration solved it.
skullmunky is offline   Reply With Quote