Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Networking And Security

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-21-07, 02:52 PM   #13
Monolyth
Meow Mix Kills

Default Re: My new DSL

Nice speeds & ping, unfortunately I'm out of the CO range at this apartment and so far I've heard no word of them enabling the RT they have in my area (yeah it's sitting there collecting dust). I loved using my DSL for gaming & Cable for downloads at the same time.

Storage 2.0
Gigabyte Z68XP-UD3-iSSD | Core i7 2600K @ 4.5Ghz NH-D14 | 16GB G.Skill@1600Mhz | Areca 1880ix-16 RAID HBA
Temp Storage - 1.8TB (4x450GB Hitachi 15k RPM SAS) | 18TB (12x3TB Hitachi RAID10) | HSPC Tech Station | Corsair HX620 | Windows 7 x64
Monolyth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 09:51 PM   #14
Sycario

Send a message via AIM to Sycario

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
try and do a pathping and post it here to see were the packets maybe dropping.
It's mostly the first hop into qwest or level3. Nothing I can do about that.

Comp Specs:
Intel Q9650 @ 3.95Ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme
2x2GB Mushkin DDR3-1600 @ 6-6-6-17
eVGA GTX 280 SSC
BFG ES-800 PSU
Sycario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 10:25 PM   #15
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaNiBuS
you can call your service provider or flip off an email to those backbone providers and show them what you are seeing and provide a detailed log of what your seeing.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-07, 10:28 PM   #16
retsam

Quote:
can you post your output minus your routers ip address?
Old 09-22-07, 12:08 PM   #17
Sycario

Quote:
you can call your service provider or flip off an email to those backbone providers and show them what you are seeing and provide a detailed log of what your seeing.
I've tried this before, they are useless to say the least.

Comp Specs:
Intel Q9650 @ 3.95Ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme
eVGA GTX 280 SSC
BFG ES-800 PSU
Old 09-22-07, 01:50 PM   #18
retsam

Quote:
I've tried this before, they are useless to say the least.
your right, its a 50/50 crap shoot when it comes to providers, like you, i have had providers ignore me and ive had providers follow up, it doesn hurt to try.
Old 09-24-07, 06:11 AM   #19
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
sounds like adsl 2+ to me....not bad at all, just wish they had more upstream bandwidth...
You probably know this already, but just for the record: Plain ADSL2 with 12/1 Mb/s would suffice here, as ADSL2+ gives 24 Mb/s downstream. For better upsteam (~3.5 Mb/s) you'd have to use Annex-M.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 06:40 AM   #20
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by wnd
You probably know this already, but just for the record: Plain ADSL2 with 12/1 Mb/s would suffice here, as ADSL2+ gives 24 Mb/s downstream. For better upsteam (~3.5 Mb/s) you'd have to use Annex-M.
alot of providers are using adsl2+ not so much for the speed improvements but for the distance improvements.

Quote:
Annex-M
there is also talk of aggrigating two or more dsl lines for faster throughput..ive never heard of Annex-M but from the wiki i did find on it sounds like the providers should just stick to implementing adsl2+ just for the reason of stearing clear of a propriatary or niche market.

Old 09-24-07, 02:37 PM   #21
wnd
Nerd, Geek, Freak

Quote:
alot of providers are using adsl2+ not so much for the speed improvements but for the distance improvements.
True, but the nitpicker I am, I just had to say that.

Quote:
there is also talk of aggrigating two or more dsl lines for faster throughput..ive never heard of Annex-M but from the wiki i did find on it sounds like the providers should just stick to implementing adsl2+ just for the reason of stearing clear of a propriatary or niche market.
Aggregating existing physical media is an option if there's enough copper (or whatever the media would be) laid down already, but personally I don't see a problem in taking advantage of more efficient standards such as Annex-M. However, the problem with Annex-M is distance. For example, IIRC, I'm living ~1200 metres from the DSLAM, and my ISP considers anything over 1000 metres not to match their quality standard. As also stated in Wikipedia, Annex-M is an international standard which has already been deployed in number of places, so at worst it will be "niche market". It won't be the next big thing for sparsely populated areas, but I already know a couple of fellows who are quite glad such technology is available.

I'm reasonably sure my ISP would reconsider selling me ADSL2+M if I made it clear that I understood the limitations and consequences of the distance. Fortunately for me I'm quite happy with 12/1 Mb/s for time being -- especially now that they have finally announced IPv6-connectivity by the end of the year (until now they provided IPv6 only for customers who paid for public subnet). :-) IPv6-tunnel was a nice thing to have, but I won't miss it.

Christianity, noun: The belief that a cosmic Jewish Zombie who was his own father can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree. [mad.frog]
wnd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-07, 04:47 PM   #22
Sycario

Well, good news (kinda) and bad news. After a few days of having the DSL I noticed random disconnects. I called support and they sent someone out to test the lines, etc.. The tech said the distance limit is 10,000 feet and I'm 10,500 feet away. They did some testing and set it at 8mbps. The DSL provider is CenturyTel, they by FAR have the best techs/support I have ever had to deal with. I called them on Friday and they said it would take 24-48 hours to process the work order. The tech showed up at noon on saturday. He also told me that at almost all of the new subdivisions around here, CenturyTel wired with fiber and they provide TV service also.

Charter finally fixed the cable, no more packetloss and speeds/pings have improved a bit.

I'm living with my parents while saving up for a house but now I have to be picky about where I buy one.

Comp Specs:
Intel Q9650 @ 3.95Ghz
Asus Rampage Extreme
eVGA GTX 280 SSC
BFG ES-800 PSU
Old 09-24-07, 06:36 PM   #23
Libertysyclone
I Lie about MPG

Send a message via MSN to Libertysyclone

That would be my first mistake when i bought my house.

I had cable (comcast) which was nice for Downloads 4100/768 with a 100ms latency (weak sauce)

But after they charged me $150 to come and fix THEIR equipment not only once but THREE DIFFERENT TIMES I told them to shove their internet and Cable up their ass sideways.

Now I am stuck with 256k dsl

If i would have moved 4 blocks west I would get teh 7mb from qwest.

Or I could have moved 40 miles south and got Qwest Fiber ( a lot like Verizons FiOS) 10mb/10mb stupid neighborhood.

The biggest complaint of mine is that through the wasatch valley in utah about 3 years ago the government proposed a "community network" all fiber based to hubs then to 10/100/1000 to homes.

They would allow ISPs to use this network as their backbone, but also allow those whom didnt want internet to have access to all Govt. like library utilities ect.. through a intranet.

I look at it as more competitive prices for me in the end. Well the great asshole mayor of SLC spoke up saying that it would just be a great system for people who pirate software/movies... and that our current systems were more than enough for the avg user. So it failed govt funding and the contracter went under. I=still pissed......
Old 09-25-07, 10:55 AM   #24
Capt. Picard

Quote:
I had 10mbps from charter for $69 a month. I checked the DSL company's website and noticed they had 10mbps for $39 so I ordered it. They gave me $10 off for a year so I only pay $29.

DSL:

Cable:

Not bad...

Go ahead, please laugh. For I'm rolling on the floor laughing.