Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 09-20-07, 04:07 PM   #1
Grimnar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7
Default Nvidia refuses to work!

Okay, this is a final resort before I give up the whole deal.


I use a debian lenny box, with a Nvidia GF6-series agp-card. I tried to install the official Nvidia-package, both the new .19 and the old .11. But I refuses to install.

Pasting some info:

Quote:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'.
Quote:
glxinfo Segmentation fault
And the NVIDIA installer gives me errrors about gcc??

My debian system:
Quote:
Linux gwdebian 2.6.21-2-k7 #1 SMP Wed Jul 11 04:29:08 UTC 2007 i686 GNU/Linux
What can I do make this work?
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:10 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

I'd suggest reading the forum sticky posts.

Also, what is the output from running 'modprobe nvidia' ?
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:26 PM   #3
Grimnar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
I'd suggest reading the forum sticky posts.

Also, what is the output from running 'modprobe nvidia' ?

I've been reading like crazy the last days!

The output gives me nothing.
lspci:

Quote:
01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: nVidia Corporation NV43 [GeForce 6200] (rev a1)
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:29 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

You need to provide an nvidia-bug-report.log if you'd like further assistance.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:38 PM   #5
Grimnar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
You need to provide an nvidia-bug-report.log if you'd like further assistance.

Working on it.

This is from the /var/log/nvidia-installer.log
Quote:
The compiler used to compile the kernel (gcc 4.1) does not exactly match the
current compiler (gcc 4.2). The Linux 2.6 kernel module loader rejects kern
el modules built with a version of gcc that does not exactly match that of t
he compiler used to build the running kernel.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (79.2 KB, 86 views)
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:39 PM   #6
brr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnar

And the NVIDIA installer gives me errrors about gcc??

What can I do make this work?
Maybe you are using a different version of gcc when compiling the driver, it should be the same version that was used to compile your kernel.

As root, try "export CC=gcc-4.1" (if you are using bash), and then try to install again. Worked for me, but naturally the correct gcc version could be different for you.

Edit: I was 1 minute late :=), but my fix should solve your problem
brr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 04:53 PM   #7
Grimnar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr
Maybe you are using a different version of gcc when compiling the driver, it should be the same version that was used to compile your kernel.

As root, try "export CC=gcc-4.1" (if you are using bash), and then try to install again. Worked for me, but naturally the correct gcc version could be different for you.

Edit: I was 1 minute late :=), but my fix should solve your problem
I tried, but nothing. Still get the same error.

And got this error now:

Quote:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or improperly
configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for more
information.
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 05:38 PM   #8
brr
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 9
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimnar
I tried, but nothing. Still get the same error.
Then the nvidia-installer does not use gcc-4.1, if the error is the same. I simply logged in as root, set CC=gcc-4.1 and then ran nvidia-installer as root. This way, gcc-4.1 was used by nvidia-installer. You must be doing something different, or your system does not have gcc-4.1 installed (unlikely).
brr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-20-07, 05:57 PM   #9
Grimnar
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Quote:
Originally Posted by brr
Then the nvidia-installer does not use gcc-4.1, if the error is the same. I simply logged in as root, set CC=gcc-4.1 and then ran nvidia-installer as root. This way, gcc-4.1 was used by nvidia-installer. You must be doing something different, or your system does not have gcc-4.1 installed (unlikely).
So what do I do now?
Grimnar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-07, 06:02 PM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

You need to build the nvidia kernel module with the same version of gcc as was used to build the kernel you're running. If you're unsure where or how to get that, you should contact whomever provided you with your kernel, which I'm guessing is someone in the Debian organization.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 02:59 PM   #11
Manhunt0r
Registered User
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 7
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

Having the same issue currently on the latest lenny release

tryed it with
CC=/usr/bin/gcc-4.1 sh NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.19-pkg1.run

the wrong gcc message doesnt show up anymore so somehow i doubt that thats the issue, though the error message is still the same


Quote:
ERROR: Unable to load the kernel module 'nvidia.ko'. This happens most
frequently when this kernel module was built against the wrong or
improperly configured kernel sources, with a version of gcc that differs
from the one used to build the target kernel, or if a driver such as
rivafb/nvidiafb is present and prevents the NVIDIA kernel module from
obtaining ownership of the NVIDIA graphics device(s).

Please see the log entries 'Kernel module load error' and 'Kernel
messages' at the end of the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for
more information.
-> Kernel module load error: insmod: error inserting './usr/src/nv/nvidia.ko':
-1 No such device
Manhunt0r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-07, 03:36 PM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 8,763
Default Re: Nvidia refuses to work!

At any point in time did you install a 3rd party NVIDIA driver package (other than the .run file)?
What's the full output from running "modprobe nvidia"?

Also, please attach a new nvidia-bug-report.log.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Need Help Installing NVIDIA Tesla M2070Q in Linux RHEL5 Ferianto85 NVIDIA Linux 0 05-18-12 09:35 PM
Rumor regarding lack of 680 availability ViN86 Rumor Mill 6 05-09-12 05:48 PM
rh7.3 and nvidia vcrispo NVIDIA Linux 11 07-31-02 09:57 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.