Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-23-07, 05:13 PM   #13
|MaguS|

Default Re: Halo 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
I dunno I think its kind of sad to bag on a game you have not even played. What scores do you all think it should have got being that you have not played it? Atleast wait until you try it before saying the score is high. Thats kind of pathetic. Must say though that I am surprised at Gamespot review. There usually brutal on any game so Halo 3 must have some redeeming qualities.
Thats why I find the review questionable. Gamespot has been extremely brutal lately and they had almost nothing negative to say yet they nitpick all other games.
Old 09-23-07, 05:19 PM   #14
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brimstone7
I'm one of those guys that managed to snag Halo 3 early from a shader retailer downtown. I finished the campaign yesterday and I have to say that this one is definitely the best in the series. Yeah, it's still Halo, and it feels like it. I don't think anyone was expecting something completely different.

However, the gameplay has been refined to perfection. I thought the first 2 were "good" games, not great, but this one blows them right out of the water simply because the level designers finally managed to get things right this time. There are no long, boring stretches where you're doing the same thing, room after identical-looking room. There is virtually no repetition here. Sure, the campaign is a bit shorter as a result (I finished in 2 sessions) but sometimes shorter is better.

Multiplayer matchmaking services are down until tomorrow (or Tuesday maybe) so I can't comment on that, but as far as single-player goes, this is the best in the series. Oh, and just in case you were wondering, the story wraps up nicely without giving you the "I waited 5 years for this?!" feeling.
Sounds good because I'm mainly in it for single player as I really enjoyed Halo 2 single though many hated it. How is the HDR and the graphics? They say its the best use HDR yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Thats why I find the review questionable. Gamespot has been extremely brutal lately and they had almost nothing negative to say yet they nitpick all other games.
I hear you but I would like to think they as well as the other sites are above that. I don't think it was bought.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 05:19 PM   #15
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

wow, i actually thought it wouldnt get such high review marks. I guess bungie hasnt lost its touch.
Old 09-23-07, 05:55 PM   #16
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Didn't expect it to score so high. Can't wait to pick up my copy toight. Only bout 12hrs to go.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 06:06 PM   #17
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Well at first I was't going to pick it up. But I gotta say. I got caught up in the hype. There is a 'launch party' at the local EB tonight, the website, became to hard for me to resist.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 06:18 PM   #18
Brimstone7

Quote:
Sounds good because I'm mainly in it for single player as I really enjoyed Halo 2 single though many hated it. How is the HDR and the graphics? They say its the best use HDR yet.
The one HDR use that really pops out is the whole transition from dark-to-light thing that's supposed to simulate the human eye. It was a little over-the-top in Far Cry but it's done much better here. It can catch you offguard, too; you can move from the beach to a valley, turn around and BAM! you see an amazing view because of the overbright effects.

I do think that the review scores are somewhat high. We've seen this gameplay before and it looks like some of the reviewers didn't enjoy the single player campaign as much as I did. If I had to give it a number, I'd say 8/10; it's great, everyone should pick it up, but it won't change the world.

I suspect that a lot of these scores are reflecting the franchise as a whole, instead of this 1 specific game.
Brimstone7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 06:29 PM   #19
Blackcat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
If I was a reviewer I'd actually be afraid to say anything negative about Halo 3...you'd probably get shot in a back alley by a drunk frat guy.

I don't understand how it can really get "perfect" 10/10 reviews when the reviewers point out flaws in the game in their review.

But, my opinion on Halo is a bit biased...played the first one on PC, hated it, and never touched the series again.

Yeah, I played the first one and hated it too. Terrible PC port IMO. Something about it did not seem right to me, and I threw it in my pile of unfinished games before even finishing the first level. However on a whim today I picked up Halo2 for the PC. Even though it did not get the best reviews I think it is an awesome shooter. Very different from most PC shooters and in a good way. Now I am very excited about playing Halo 3 and will be picking ip up immediately after beating Halo 2. If it is that much better than Halo 2 I can see why it is getting such high reviews.
Old 09-23-07, 06:45 PM   #20
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
All major review sites are business ventures...their primary interest is money
Yeah no **** and most of there money comes from advertisements and paid subscribers. Regardless I think you dudes are reaching pretty far and you all have not even played it yet.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 09-23-07, 06:57 PM   #21
toxikneedle
this.is.a.chemical.burn

Send a message via AIM to toxikneedle Send a message via MSN to toxikneedle

Quote:
I may be one of the only 360 owners in the world who has no plan to pick up Halo 3.

Although...I think I'm also one of the only 360 owners in the world who doesn't use XBox Live either.
hehe, well you're actually same as me. although the no live thing isnt forever, ill prolly get live for GH3 or rock band.
Old 09-23-07, 06:58 PM   #22
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Quote:
I think you dudes are reaching pretty far and you all have not even played it yet.
But we have played it. Twice.
Old 09-23-07, 07:20 PM   #23
kev13dd

I think no matter what any game that gets a high score is going to have flaws. Period. But does that really mean that the score has to be below a 9? What makes a good game is the GOOD aspects of it. The score is pretty much a reflection of how much the good outweighs the bad. The scores plus the reviews make it sound like that's what's happening with Halo 3

Also, look at the reivew sites when you complain about it getting a "perfect" score. Some of the sites that have given it a 10/10 don't consider the score of 10 as perfect. They consider it "excellent". Not to mention that if you actually look at the complete reviews, the number break downs don't give it 100%. It just got rounded

K
Maybe the guys at Shugashack should play around with their gamma correction just a little bit because most of the screenshot are so dark you can't get an idea of what this game is really going to look like
In reference to Doom 3 screenshots from 2001
kev13dd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-07, 07:30 PM   #24
Arioch

This game is gonna be a blast coop on hard mode - I could care less about the multiplayer.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote