Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-29-07, 08:32 AM   #277
svetli_pp

Default Re: Clive Barker's Jericho Demo Feedback Thread

The graphics not bad, facial animation is terrible, like in a game from 8 years ago. The gameplay is dull and uninspired, compared to the Crysis demo its boring and I stopped playing it after an hour. I've played through Crysis demo 3 times and it is so versatile as gameplay that when I change the strategy it is completely different game. I don't have patience to play it again tonight.
Old 10-29-07, 09:08 AM   #278
FastRedPonyCar
Resident Tire Destroyer

Send a message via AIM to FastRedPonyCar

Quote:
Originally Posted by svetli_pp
The graphics not bad, facial animation is terrible, like in a game from 8 years ago. The gameplay is dull and uninspired, compared to the Crysis demo its boring and I stopped playing it after an hour. I've played through Crysis demo 3 times and it is so versatile as gameplay that when I change the strategy it is completely different game. I don't have patience to play it again tonight.
Took the words right out my mouth bro. I am absolutely infatuated with teh crysis demo and the different strategies that can be used. I was so skeptical about the generic farcry-like fire fights. I was telling my self "Oh I've been here done this before... boring." I played through the first time not using any suit abilities. Just armor and ripped through it like Arnold in "Commando". It was fun and extremely intense and very challenging.

And then the next time I utilized the cloak mode heavily and basically handled the situations in a Splinter cell style and it was like a totally different game.

The 3rd time through, I used a mix between speed and strength and yet again, found myself fighting enemies and approching situations in a totally different way.

I was so skeptical about this game when I was seeing the vidoes of it and hearing the developers say how there is so much variety in the game play that I actually had to just sit down and play it to fully understand what they were talking about and what they meant.

Now, as far as Jericho goes, I see much more positive than negative in this game. The facial anmations are piss poor. It's like generic mouth opening and often not even that. I'll hear dialogue from a character and their mouth won't be moving There's a bit too much glow also. It's like they lost the rules of HDR rendering or something.

I don't think I like that distance blur thing. It makes it more "cinematic" I suppose but if there is a tweak that can be done to extend the rendering distance or focus distance, that would make a big improvement. I'm sure it's done to keep frame rates high but for those of us with beast cards, the option to increase focus distance would be nice. Jericho is so consolized it's not even funny.

In the end though, the game play is fun and exiting, linear yes but still exiting and the ability to change characters takes a lot of the monotony out of the game play and keeps things mixed up as it allows you to fight what seems to be more or less the same fight over and over with a different set of weapons and ablities.

It's not scary at all though. If there weren't a team fighting along side me, I'm sure the scariness factor would increase ten fold.
4770k @ 4.45 ghz - ASUS Gryphon Mobo - 16 gigs Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 RAM - XSPC Rasa 750 RS240 H2o Cooling - EVGA GTX 680 @1325mhz - 128 gig Crucial RealSSD C300 - 150 gig Velociraptor +2.75 Terrabytes of WD Sata 3.0 storage - 910 watt PC P&C PSU - Corsair Obsidian 650D case

- Server -
Core I7 D0 revision 920 @ 3.75 ghz - ASUS P6T Deluxe - 12 Gigs Mushkin DDR3 1600 - Corsair HX 620 PSU - Noctua NH-U9B cooler - Coolermaster WaveMaster Case

- Laptop -
MSI 16F2-012
- i7 2630QM - GTX570m @ 750Mhz - 8 gigs HyperX 1866 - 120 gig OCZ Vertex 3 SSD- 750 gig Scorpio Black - BluRay - 95% Gamut Screen - IC Diamond goop
FastRedPonyCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 09:32 AM   #279
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by FastRedPonyCar
...Now, as far as Jericho goes, I see much more positive than negative in this game. The facial anmations are piss poor. It's like generic mouth opening and often not even that. I'll hear dialogue from a character and their mouth won't be moving There's a bit too much glow also. It's like they lost the rules of HDR rendering or something.

I don't think I like that distance blur thing. It makes it more "cinematic" I suppose but if there is a tweak that can be done to extend the rendering distance or focus distance, that would make a big improvement. I'm sure it's done to keep frame rates high but for those of us with beast cards, the option to increase focus distance would be nice. Jericho is so consolized it's not even funny.

In the end though, the game play is fun and exiting, linear yes but still exiting and the ability to change characters takes a lot of the monotony out of the game play and keeps things mixed up as it allows you to fight what seems to be more or less the same fight over and over with a different set of weapons and ablities.

It's not scary at all though. If there weren't a team fighting along side me, I'm sure the scariness factor would increase ten fold.
I'll agree with that. There are times though I feel like I'm playing Serious Sam. Hordes of cloned bad guys that are tough as nails and few scary moments.

I'd like to add a "boo" to the shaders. They sparkle and twinkle too much and cause a great deal of shimmer. Check out Delgado's gun for a good example. I switched off the shaders and that fixed the shader sparkle, but overall it looked dull, so I switched them back on. No amount of AA could fix it either.

Everyone else see this shader sparkle I'm talking about?
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 09:34 AM   #280
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRen72
Everyone else see this shader sparkle I'm talking about?
maybe, but not sure what you are talking about, was it visible in the demo?
Old 10-29-07, 03:22 PM   #281
SH64
MAXIMUM TECH

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
i still might give this game a chance, is it out?
It is & its worth it IMO.

- "My name is RAM and my tank is full"

http://warhawk64nv.mybrute.com/ <-- pupils go thaarrr! Or,
http://silenthunter64.mybrute.com
SH64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 03:41 PM   #282
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
maybe, but not sure what you are talking about, was it visible in the demo?
Not nearly as much, which is weird.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 04:17 PM   #283
Saintster

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanonecode
I think this must be one of the most underrated games this year.

I think the look of the game is great for what it is. The high HDR for a game like this is pretty neat. The animations for shooting the guns are well done. The stories pretty cool and the characters are all nice. The AI for your team is very well done. Nice amount of gore and language. If you control your team right you donít have to spend most of the time running around healing everyone. Loading is very quick so not much downtime. The game isnít that hard. I enjoyed playing this about as much as I did Bioshock. And I loved bioshock. The game kept me interested and wanting to finish it.

I just finished it this morning and I must say you described it spot on. With the way it ends a sequel should be in the works or at the very least an expansion pack.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 07:08 PM   #284
Armed_Baboon
Australian Gamer

I've got the full version and I'm quite enjoying it. certainly there are very subtle ways of controlling your team that make a big difference to the experience. You've got to hold them back alot and keep them all off the frontline. once they get to the frontline you are in trouble because they will die alot! you really need to lead from the front and protect your team. I did one bit over and over again as my whole team died in about 30 seconds. I then kept them all right back, selected the chick with the grenade launcher gun and went to work... beat the onslaught without a single revive.

I like the fact that there is round after round getting pumped into the enemy... it's cool. bullets flying everywhere...

can't say the story interests me *that* much...
Armed_Baboon is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-29-07, 07:31 PM   #285
Saintster

Quote:
Originally Posted by zer0
how do you switch from one character to another?

Either hold the space bar down and choose a character from each squad or walk next to them and hit space bar.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-07, 11:31 PM   #286
KasuCode
Wiley

Send a message via AIM to KasuCode

You have to be far enough into the game to switch between all of them

Check Out
~CrossWater~
KasuCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 04:01 AM   #287
K007

* Horrifically confined level design leaves no room to maneuver
* Lame final boss caps a stupendously awful ending
* Long animations and visual effects leave certain characters far too vulnerable in battle.

...Sounds like the level design is just crap..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-07, 11:28 PM   #288
Blacklash
8^9^3

Unlike some critics of the game I have played it to the end. My rating remains 7. Yes, I would buy it again.

Most users that got it like it and most reviews gave it good or slightly above average marks. The people that out right trashed it are a minority.

BTW, tough demons may be taken out with placed shots, typically three. Some creatures my also be killed by a single hit from the rear, instead of many to the front. Some creatures, like the demons that explode when they die, can be downed by a single hit from Black's mini launcher. Black's ghost bullet attack uses no ammo and may be used to strike up to three creatures by steering it. Church's sword can often kill in a single hit as well. Church also has a fire ward that does good damage to any creature that enters its area. He blood ward will "snare". You need not even aim Delgado's fire demon attack. Just let it go. He also has a fire shield that will shield the party from fire damage and even reduce regular damage to a degree. Father Rawlings can heal/res team members at a great distance. Cole's frag grenades hit hard. She can increase the damage of the whole party for a short time. She can also slow time while she remains at full speed. Jones = astral projection, sight through targets eyes, and pyrokinesis. It addition to their specials some characters weapons are sometimes better suited to certain situations.

Also when you have a character possessed on the Alpha team you may park them anywhere you wish by tapping 1 at that point. Omega = 3. Use the space bar and possession choices to progressively do the whole team if you want.

People that think it's too tough might want to learn their characters, or drop the difficulty level. I have my favorite characters and definitely found them all useful.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote