Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-20-07, 12:26 AM   #1
jamebus

Default Does 169.04 solve the "black window" issue?

Hello. I haven't come across any reports about 169.04 solving the "black window" issue one can experience with Compiz or Beryl. Is there good news to report?

Thanks!
jamebus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 01:12 AM   #2
dahveed3

Default Re: Does 169.04 solve the "black window" issue?

I thought 100.14.19 already did that? Then 100.14.23 beta gave us the fix for exiting to virtual terminals with Compiz running (among some other stuff), and now we have the XV video turning into colorful, um, colors fix.

Just for information purposes, if you do install these and wind up with Compiz giving errors like No GLX FB Config for default depth, this isn't going to work, Failed to manage screen :0, or No manageable screens found on display :0.0, then the fix is to add another switch to Compiz startup command:

--no-libgl-fallback

This is actually an improvement I guess, since it'll only use direct rendering as opposed to automatically falling back to indirect (which now won't work at all anyway).

But if you use compiz-manager, you have to add that to the /usr/bin/compiz-manager under the options for loading Compiz.

So:

compiz --replace --no-libgl-fallback --sm-disable --ignore-desktop-hints ccp &

I think it does an export first, but if you do it yourself:

export __GL_YIELD="NOTHING"
compiz --blah, blah like above.

I haven't figured out how to add that to Fusion Icon's loading of Compiz yet, which makes Fusion Icon kind of useless. Compiz will just not start, and actually leave Kwin not being in charge either, without that --no-libgl-fallback with these new beta's.

Unless perhaps it doesn't effect your setup. Some folks were congratulating NVidia on the improvements while I was struggling to figure out why my Compiz was broken. I kept going back to 100.14.23 and seeing it work perfectly.

I'm on the new driver now and all seems well. Just gotta figure out the Fusion Icon problem. Editing /usr/lib/python/site-packages/FusionIcon/data.py didn't have any effect.
Old 11-20-07, 02:14 AM   #3
BoardDWorld

No it doesn't resolve the issue. I have only been using the driver since last night and I'm already getting the black screen flicker. Go 7600, core2Duo setup... Also a noticeable drop in frame rates playing Quake Wars.
BoardDWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 10:55 AM   #4
jamebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahveed3
I thought 100.14.19 already did that? Then 100.14.23 beta gave us the fix for exiting to virtual terminals with Compiz running (among some other stuff), and now we have the XV video turning into colorful, um, colors fix.
Hi dahveed3. No. I still get the black window issue with 100.14.19.

Also. Thanks for the other tips. I'll keep them in mind if when I try the new driver.
Old 11-20-07, 11:03 AM   #5
jamebus

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoardDWorld
No it doesn't resolve the issue. I have only been using the driver since last night and I'm already getting the black screen flicker. Go 7600, core2Duo setup... Also a noticeable drop in frame rates playing Quake Wars.
That's a different issue. And ouch. That sounds pretty ugly.

The "black window" issue happens when you're running a compositing window manager like Compiz or Beryl, you have a number of windows open, and your video card runs out of memory. After that subsequent windows (or tooltips or pop-up elements if they're big enough) show up as black. New terminals can also show up transparent when this happens.
Old 11-20-07, 11:51 AM   #6
BoardDWorld

Yeah, there's the 2 bugs:

The first post being my bug at this Ubuntu thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=579761

The bug "this" thread refers to being on the same Ubuntu thread above at post #4.

It only got worse installing the 169.04 with the flashes being much more consistent. However earlier I installed XGL through Synaptic had a glitch where a full screen single coloured layer covered everything except the mouse and flame effect on menus when closing. I then rebooted, logged in in safe mode and removed removed XGL and I haven't had a single problem as yet (4 hours).

This isn't enough time to say anything though. There was one other report of the same thing at the above thread. For myself I have had this bug for at least 3 months.
BoardDWorld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-07, 12:30 PM   #7
LostinSpacetime

The black window bug is still there for me. 100.14.19 improved the situation, meaning one can open more windows until the bug appears, but for me (128MB VRAM and 1600x1200) the bug appears pretty soon. Especially when I'm viewing a video in fullscreen, 2-3 windows are enough to make the player crash.

I'm not even sure if there are realistic plans to REALLY solve this bug. Would be nice if somebody would give us some (good) news.

nVIDIA???
LostinSpacetime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-07, 01:53 PM   #8
LostinSpacetime

Question Re: Does 169.04 solve the "black window" issue?

Is this a no?

Old 11-23-07, 01:17 AM   #9
Moony

I'm using the new beta driver (for a week or so (er whenever it came out)), and haven't had any black windows yet... but I haven't really pushed things either.

Did you ever notice that there is an art to getting the the black window contents to appear? Like, resize the window just to the edge of the video memory limit and it might show you the image? Or maybe you've tried "Minimize" "Maximize!" That's bound to clear up some MBs? Right?? Or perhaps you've tried the ol' Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F7 to see if switching the session will refresh things? There's endless possibilities when you use your imagination!

Moony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-07, 05:48 AM   #10
LostinSpacetime

Question Re: Does 169.04 solve the "black window" issue?

Yes, switching the console refreshes somehow the memory. But I'm pretty tired of playing with that. As I said, when I try to playback a video in fullscreen and 2-3 big windows are opened, the player crashes. Actually this behavior is new. Before 169.04, blayback messed up the desktop instead of crashing, which was even more annoying.
All I want, is to know if there is any chance that this bug will be solved once and for all some day (hopefully soon). Am I getting any insight from some nVIDIA guy?