Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > MMORPGs

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-01-07, 05:49 PM   #25
glObalist
working as intended

Default Re: Blizz removes HW sound acceleration from WoW

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
I have added the following lines to my config.wtf and it seems to make a difference. My sounds are back again so it seems:

SET SoundOutputSystem "-1"
SET SoundDriver "1"
SET SoundUseHardware "-1"
SET SoundMixer "4"
SET Sound_ListenerAtCharacter "0"
Well I spoke too soon, I still miss the occasional sound or two, but it still seems a little bit better? Placebo?
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 06:02 AM   #26
Blacklash
8^9^3

Since moving to Vista I haven't used a sound card. I like the Vista sound stack a lot.

I've never been a fan of Creative's cheap arse reverb effects with fancy names.

I won't even discuss the drivers. Let's just say they are not missed.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 07:42 AM   #27
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

black, your not getting much acceleration with that though. If you go ahead and download the vista web drivers, you will find its pretty nice and bare bones, it dosnt even have a wave applet. But it does come with all the necessary control panels so you can setup some effects if you want them, and all your speaker configurations.

Browsing through most of the thread, I don't like it. Most of it is pure BS (About how much sound processing impacts the cpu... it impacts it ALOT). I am not creative fan.. but ive been using non creative solutions up untill my just built pc, and got tired of 3d sound not working correctly in games. So I got one of the cheaper x-fi's and have been happy with it (Course again, I didn't need to install most of creatives bloat crap... the web drivers are pretty vanilla). People claim some of the higher end cards do exceed creative's gamer cards, maybe they do in sound quality, but I suspect if they truly did in games, hard core gamers in which every fps counts would be switching over. Also as for the comment about creative holding back sound card development.. Its not that they hold back, its because they are on top they feel they don't have to innovate anymore. Kind of like what EA is doing with Madden, its the same crap with a different face each year, when there is plenty they could be doing with computer sound. It sucks.. but for some reason NO one else wants to take a serious crack at gaming sound cards.

BTW as for the WoW issue, they did not remove HW sound acceleration. They upgraded their sound system (It was from a quality third party that creative ahas worked with before) and the new one did not have the hardware 3d hooks installed in with it. Creative is making attempts to get with blizzard in fixing up their blunder with implementing the upgraded engine, but in their original post they claimed blizzards replies where unresponsive. That was a while ago and may have changed now.
Old 10-14-07, 01:38 PM   #28
Zelda_fan

I'm glad Blizzard has taken a stand against this Creative crap of charging $200 for a sound card that does nothing but add an echo effect to your games. On top of that the X-Fi DSP chip is extremely buggy. Excellent move by blizzard imho.
Zelda_fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 04:12 PM   #29
glObalist
working as intended

Except they borked the sound for me and many others. Truly an excellent move. And I dont even have a creative card per se.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-07, 06:39 PM   #30
jeffmd
Has a vegetation fetish

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda_fan
I'm glad Blizzard has taken a stand against this Creative crap of charging $200 for a sound card

lol whut?

it has nothing to do with creative cards. And my x-fi cost 80 bucks. get lost hater.
Old 10-26-07, 01:58 PM   #31
Buio

Fmod might be good, but its just another middleware that might get more prone to problems due to hardware/driver incompatibilities. I'm curios to how good MS XAudio2 is going to be. And the X-Fi is a great hardware, using XP there was never any problems with games and great sound and performance. Using CPU for 3d sound is feasible, especially with multicore CPU's but in the end, I'd rather have the CPU work 100% on game/AI/physics, and my separate soundcard manage the audio.
Buio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-07, 11:09 PM   #32
Rakeesh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buio
Fmod might be good, but its just another middleware that might get more prone to problems due to hardware/driver incompatibilities.
Nah. All it has to do is send its processed audio out to the individual sound channels via whatever means. It could even do that through directsound with hardly any overhead, and from there all that matters is whether or not your card works with directsound.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATI_Dude
But 128 simultaneous 3D voices with HRTF is much more demanding and will reduce performance on a single CPU system.
Are you kidding? Vector functions (e.g. physics) are a lot more computationally taxing than the more common sinusoidal functions (e.g. sound processing) and today's games will throw a hell of a lot more than 128 different interactions at any given time without skipping a beat. If we were talking 1999 this would be a big deal, but with todays CPU's...an analogy of a hot knife going through butter comes to mind.

HRTF is cheesy btw, that will never work anywhere near as well as a true surround setup will. It doesn't matter how much they improve the technology, it is just physically impossible because everybody has a differently shaped head. Unless they invent some kind of optical deep ear canal scanner and figure out how to correctly map the acoustics of everybody's ear lobe.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 11-08-07, 03:58 AM   #33
ATI_Dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Are you kidding? Vector functions (e.g. physics) are a lot more computationally taxing than the more common sinusoidal functions (e.g. sound processing) and today's games will throw a hell of a lot more than 128 different interactions at any given time without skipping a beat. If we were talking 1999 this would be a big deal, but with todays CPU's...an analogy of a hot knife going through butter comes to mind.
Nevertheless HRTF processing will reduce performance on a single core processor compared to DSP rendering or multi-core rendering.

Quote:
HRTF is cheesy btw, that will never work anywhere near as well as a true surround setup will. It doesn't matter how much they improve the technology, it is just physically impossible because everybody has a differently shaped head. Unless they invent some kind of optical deep ear canal scanner and figure out how to correctly map the acoustics of everybody's ear lobe.
I disagree. In terms of accurately positioning sound in a 3D space a surround speaker system can never come close to HRTF. It doesn't matter how many speakers you add, a surround speaker set up can never simulate vertical sound positioning in a convincing way. Aureal, Sensaura, Creative and other have tried, but is just doesn't work . This is one of the reasons why HRTF algorithms are preferred by scientists and professionals.

Regarding differently shaped ear lobes, this problem is relatively easy to overcome. Sensaura has invented a tool called "Virtual Ear". It can be used to tweak their HRTF algorithms according to each individual's ear lobe. I'm sure NASA, USAF and similar organizations use similar tools.

Desktop: | Intel Core i7 2600K@ 3.4 GHz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair (2x4 GB) | Asus GeForce GTX 580 | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard | Segate Momentus XT 500 GB Hyprid SATA HDD | Samsung SyncMaster T220HD 22'' LCD | 650 watt Corsair HX650 PSU |

Laptop1: | MacBook Pro Uni-body | Core2 Duo 2.53 GHz (FSB 1066 MHz) | GeForce 9400M 256 MB DDR3 | 4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 500 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD | 13'' LED 1280x800 | Dual Boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard & Windows 7 Home x64 |

Laptop2: | Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 | Pentium M Centrino (Dothan) 2.13 GHz (FSB 533 MHz)| GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3 450@1063 MHz (12 PS, 5 VS)| 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM | 100 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM HDD | 17'' WUXGA LCD 1920x1200 | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook |
ATI_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 07:05 AM   #34
Caillin

Couldn't have said it better myself. People who say true surround can only come with speakers, have never heard a proper HRTF implementation.
Caillin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-07, 03:15 PM   #35
Rakeesh

Quote:
Nevertheless HRTF processing will reduce performance on a single core processor compared to DSP rendering or multi-core rendering.
Some, but not much. HRTF only needs a few trig functions to calculate phase adjustment.

Quote:
I disagree. In terms of accurately positioning sound in a 3D space a surround speaker system can never come close to HRTF. It doesn't matter how many speakers you add, a surround speaker set up can never simulate vertical sound positioning in a convincing way. Aureal, Sensaura, Creative and other have tried, but is just doesn't work .
As far as the vertical plane goes, possibly, but everything else it is just a horrible substitute. The directions it simulates aren't particularly convincing. And most audio you hear is going to be on a horizontal plane.

Quote:
This is one of the reasons why HRTF algorithms are preferred by scientists and professionals.
Like who?

Quote:
Regarding differently shaped ear lobes, this problem is relatively easy to overcome. Sensaura has invented a tool called "Virtual Ear". It can be used to tweak their HRTF algorithms according to each individual's ear lobe. I'm sure NASA, USAF and similar organizations use similar tools.
Hmm...I've never heard of that, but I still remain skeptical because I have yet to hear any HRTF setup that sounds anywhere near as convincing as a regular surround setup.

Core i7 2600k 4.4Ghz 1.385v | Corsair H60 | 8GB Corsair Vengeance 1600 8-8-8-24 | MSI P67A-G45 | OCZ Vertex 3 | Sapphire 7850 OC to Max settings

Rakeesh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-07, 08:15 AM   #36
ATI_Dude

Quote:
As far as the vertical plane goes, possibly, but everything else it is just a horrible substitute. The directions it simulates aren't particularly convincing. And most audio you hear is going to be on a horizontal plane.
There're many different HRTF algorithms and not all of them work equally well. The best HRTF algorithms I have experienced are Aureal 3D and Creative X-Fi. Both offer superior 3D sound placement compared to any surround speaker set up.

Quote:
Like who?
1. NASA. Aureal Inc., the company behind Aureal 3D, originated from a NASA program.

2. AM3D and Aalborg University (Denmark) develop HRTF technology for both military and civil aviation.

I'm sure civil and military aviation in most other countries use HRTF technology as well.

Quote:
Hmm...I've never heard of that, but I still remain skeptical because I have yet to hear any HRTF setup that sounds anywhere near as convincing as a regular surround setup.
You don't need to use a tool like Virutal Ear to get the full benefit from HRTF technology. Both Aureal and Sensaura have conducted hundreds of hours of listening tests which have resulted in approximations which will sound convincing for most people.

But to each his own. I just think you are hugely mistaken when you dismiss HRTF technology completely.

Desktop: | Intel Core i7 2600K@ 3.4 GHz | Asus P8P67 Pro | 8 GB DDR3 1600 Corsair (2x4 GB) | Asus GeForce GTX 580 | Creative X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS soundcard | Segate Momentus XT 500 GB Hyprid SATA HDD | Samsung SyncMaster T220HD 22'' LCD | 650 watt Corsair HX650 PSU |

Laptop1: | MacBook Pro Uni-body | Core2 Duo 2.53 GHz (FSB 1066 MHz) | GeForce 9400M 256 MB DDR3 | 4 GB DDR3 1066 RAM | 500 GB Hitachi 5400 RPM HDD | 13'' LED 1280x800 | Dual Boot Mac OS X Snow Leopard & Windows 7 Home x64 |

Laptop2: | Dell Inspiron XPS Gen 2 | Pentium M Centrino (Dothan) 2.13 GHz (FSB 533 MHz)| GeForce Go 6800 Ultra 256 MB DDR3 450@1063 MHz (12 PS, 5 VS)| 1 GB DDR2 533 RAM | 100 GB Fujitsu 5400 RPM HDD | 17'' WUXGA LCD 1920x1200 | Creative Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS Notebook |
ATI_Dude is offline   Reply With Quote