Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 09-30-07, 06:36 PM   #85
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Default Re: Most Overrated Game?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spirited1
I don't think that's accurate. There's a lot of criticism, sure, but most people aren't out and out hating on halo. There isn't that much hate at all, just confusion as to the noise it generates from the fans. Proportionally, that noise and excitement doesn't match up to the actual game.

Hence, "most overrated game". And it is.
Depends on how you look at it.

I don't think it deserves a 10, but then Bioshock is one of the highest rated games EVER and it was no more than a 7 or maybe a 8 in my book.

On the flip-side, games like Half Life 2 have multiplayer modes that add much more to the actual game itself. I doubt I have a more satisfactory frag than in HL2 deathmatch, by picking up a cabinet and using it to squish another player with the gravity gun. Pure bliss

I can't believe people are saying Far Cry is over-rated either, given that there was very little publicity about the game (that was when HL2 and D3 were ruling the roost in terms of rumours) and then BOOM, the demo came out. The demo drove the game purchases and I, for one, was very impressed. It was WAY better than Doom 3 when it came out.

A true, over-hyped game is simply one that a lot is promised and it fails to deliver due to a variety of short-cuts/lies/fabrication and what not i.e. Bioshock being open-ended and non-linear.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 08:14 PM   #86
ClosetFanBoy
Thorazine shuffle

Matter of taste I guess.

Halo. What I expected and what it became left me scratching my head, giggling aliens.... although my son loved it to death.

Half Life 2. I loved the first one (pre-mods, original TFC was a major plus). This one just fell short for me. Wasn't awful, just didnt care for it. I did enjoy the anti-gravity gun or whatever it was called, and I found it odd so many did not enjoy Ravenholm, that was my favorite part of the game. Ep2 has really captured my interest tho.

Stalker. Couldnt do it, plain and simple. I tried, really, I did.

FarCry. I'm iffy on this one. I think the Nv/Ati war at the time is what hyped the crap out of this game. After I got over the "Wow look at this cool island!" stuff, I was totally taken out of the game by the "I'm gonna get you mofo!" crap. Felt pretty cheesy sometimes. Killed it.

I'm really not into bashing games, it really just comes down to a matter of preference, and I'm glad many got a spine tingling experience out of these games, because thats what it's all about.

iPhone junkie...
ClosetFanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:06 PM   #87
Blacklash
8^9^3

I didn't want people to just bash games either. It does get annoying when "professional reviewers" seen to build up a lot of hype about certain games then a lot of folks, without thinking, jump on the bandwagon.

Someone may go and make an honest heart felt critique of one of these hyped games, or just say, "I didn't care for it." then they get dog piled by a litany of insults.

"How could you not like X! OMFG you're an idiot! Kill yourself!" etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Sometimes these same bandwagon folks will make their way into every thread about a new and unrelated game to declare how it sucks in comparison to whatever they have been convinced is the holy grail.

Rating any game a 10 of 10 is absurd to me because none of them are perfect.

Also games, like music, and movies boil down to personal taste.

I was curious to see who had lukewarm or even conflicting opinions about games the "professional reviewers" had dubbed "great".

Thanks for the feedback.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:09 PM   #88
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacklash
I didn't want people to just bash games either. It does get annoying when "professional reviewers" seen to build up a lot of hype about certain games then a lot of folks, without thinking, jump on the bandwagon.

Someone may go and make an honest heart felt critique of one of these hyped games, or just say, "I didn't care for it." then they get dog piled by a litany of insults.

"How could you not like X! OMFG you're an idiot! Kill yourself!" etc, etc, ad nauseam.

Sometimes these same bandwagon folks will make their way into every thread about a new and unrelated game to declare how it sucks in comparison to whatever they have been convinced is the holy grail.

Rating any game a 10 of 10 is absurd to me because none of them are perfect.

Also games, like music, and movies boil down to personal taste.

I was curious to see who had lukewarm or even conflicting opinions with games the "professional reviewers" had dubbed "great".
O/T, I know but...

What happened to your 2900XT?
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:10 PM   #89
buffbiff21
*B4NNED*

Like I said earlier, I think all MMORPG games are severely over-rated, because I don't think any single one of them deserves more than a 1.

Though, the most atrociously over-rated games are FFVIII and Chrono Cross, both given insanely high scores by the same bumphuck at Gamespot.

http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/final...y8/review.html
http://www.gamespot.com/ps/rpg/chronocross/review.html
Old 09-30-07, 09:14 PM   #90
Blacklash
8^9^3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
O/T, I know but...

What happened to your 2900XT?
Say what? You got me confused with Xion?

I've never owned a HD 2900XT. Last XT I had was a X1900 XT.
SilverStone OP1000-E|SilverStone TJ10-B|Thermalright U-120 Extreme|Win 7 HP x64
Blacklash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:27 PM   #91
CDE_1246

Send a message via AIM to CDE_1246

WTF is with everyone saying Half-Life 2 is overrated!? It's the best FPS ever made! I will admit Halo is overrated but it is still good now that I've played through it.
CDE_1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-07, 09:29 PM   #92
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Daikatana and Duke Nukem Forever... highly overrated, one was a total s**t and the other one isn´t released... and never be released.
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-01-07, 11:21 AM   #93
blizzle

Another vote for Halo. IMO it seemed like another budget FPS title with mediocre graphics and nothing new in the gameplay department. The high review scores it got always made me laugh.
Old 10-01-07, 12:48 PM   #94
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

• Sims (All the Sims titles)
  • Crysis. I'm taking a guess here, but I expect it will not live up to expectations. I hope I am wrong though because I'm looking forward to it.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-07, 01:34 PM   #95
walkndude

F.E.A.R and Stalker...

Games like nolf, SS, Thief 1&2, Tron, Undying, COR, AVP have jaded me...

Bioshock is a let down as well

Hoopla posted this link in another thread and it explains the problems alot of us have with more recent fps releases. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ation-BioShock
Old 10-01-07, 02:13 PM   #96
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by walkndude
F.E.A.R and Stalker...

Games like nolf, SS, Thief 1&2, Tron, Undying, COR, AVP have jaded me...

Bioshock is a let down as well

Hoopla posted this link in another thread and it explains the problems alot of us have with more recent fps releases. http://www.escapistmagazine.com/arti...ation-BioShock
LOL

That video was awesome.

As to BioShock- well, I liked the game... but... er, hmm... well- I just don't think I'll ever be able to finish it. For some reason I realy don't care to find out how the game ends- I'm already bored with it. Time to move on, NEXT!
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote