Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-07, 06:22 AM   #25
energyman76b

Default Re: Demand on WORKING drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by uldgar

The point here is that if that the folks at NVIDIA were more responsive and cared more about their Linux community then they would make WORKING drivers for us,
but their drivers ARE working.

I know a lot of linux users personally. Most of them use nvidia. None of them has problems. I changed my mobo yesterday, reboot - everything worked fine. In fact - look at my posts, do I have a problem? Nope. I hang around in this forum because I try to help people.

So, the only people with nvidia problems are here. I and all the nvidia owning linux using guys I know in real life don't have any problems.

What does that say?

1) the drivers ARE working for the vast majority.

2) because this is a support forum, problems are voiced here and it looks a lot worse than it is.

Have a look at the mac-support forums (not nvidia). If you read there, you should come to the conclusion, that every single mac is completly broken - which is obviously not true.

So the guys out there: stop buying crap (btw Asrock boards always worked fine). Stop being annoying, and STOP ACTING LIKE EVERYBODY HAS YOUR PROBLEM! Because you are talking bull****.

And the 'but nv works' argument is bogus (as the vesa one). That drivers don't really use the hardware at all or any features that might be critical (like agp&co), so of course you don't have problems. Hint: if you only use vga&register programming, you won't have problems too. Oh, the surprise!

energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 06:50 AM   #26
NeoNecro

energyman76b,
Like I said before the drivers work on my desktop, but not on my laptop. And an older version of the driver works on my system, but the latest 2 versions dont. How are you going to explain that? There is a thread of 4 pages about the same problem. Don't you think the nvidia folks could at least say something. (They did say something in that threat in the beginning, but latter on they stopped)

I bought a laptop with an nvidia card because I was sure they offerd very good linux drivers. But it looks like you need to be lucky.

Of course you are happy because your card works! I've wasted hours on trying different boot parameters, kernel version and x configurations, but with no succes.

We've paid just as much as the other guy that has working drivers, so why don't we deserve the same luxury? If we would just give up nvidia wouldn't have a reason to make good drivers.

It's no true that that all the people with problems are here. I found several post on other forums about the same problem. People who are new to linux and encounter a problem like this don't know it the nvidia driver that's causing this and will probably just give up on linux.

If you had the same problem, you would be here complaining with us!

Have to keep doing this until the problem is fixed.
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 07:50 AM   #27
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by joffe
Maybe they hang out at the Official nVNews Babe Thread (1.5 million views)?

Seriously though, what company in their right mind ever considers putting their support forum on an external site hosting that kind of material? Regardless of the effort from the developers that post here, I'd say that it's a f***ing remarkable statement from the company that doesn't exactly seem to go hand in hand with the NVIDIA Corporation Worldwide Code of Conduct. I have no problem watching naked girls but I think NVIDIA should go back to the drawing board when it is time to revamp the long term support strategy. Now what business are you in again?

There, I said it (putting on bullet proof vest).
I am very tired of your agenda here. Stay on thread topic and stop these crying fits because NVIDIA employees are helping Linux users at NVNews.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:19 AM   #28
nvuser07

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
but their drivers ARE working.

I know a lot of linux users personally. Most of them use nvidia. None of them has problems. I changed my mobo yesterday, reboot - everything worked fine. In fact - look at my posts, do I have a problem? Nope. I hang around in this forum because I try to help people.

So, the only people with nvidia problems are here. I and all the nvidia owning linux using guys I know in real life don't have any problems.

What does that say?

1) the drivers ARE working for the vast majority.

2) because this is a support forum, problems are voiced here and it looks a lot worse than it is.

Have a look at the mac-support forums (not nvidia). If you read there, you should come to the conclusion, that every single mac is completly broken - which is obviously not true.

So the guys out there: stop buying crap (btw Asrock boards always worked fine). Stop being annoying, and STOP ACTING LIKE EVERYBODY HAS YOUR PROBLEM! Because you are talking bull****.

And the 'but nv works' argument is bogus (as the vesa one). That drivers don't really use the hardware at all or any features that might be critical (like agp&co), so of course you don't have problems. Hint: if you only use vga&register programming, you won't have problems too. Oh, the surprise!

I bought the complete HP A1677C. Everything is from HP. I don't know what you meant by buying crap? It has an ASUS motherbroad.
Would it satisfy your crap classification?

The system works fine with the 09 driver.

The problem seemed relating to multi-core CPUs. I have another legacy single-core system with legacy Geforce MX graphic card using legacy nvidia driver, it works fine. I have 5 nvidia cards at home and 3 of them are still in service. I personally perferred nvidia until now.

However the recent two nvidia drivers, 11 and 19, lock up miserably with my newer SMP AMD64 system. It works fine with the 09 driver.

I do have a problem as the extension came with the 09 driver is not totally compatiable with 1.4 Xorg.

What system and software do you have? Do you an SMP? Would you mind posting a bug report before making the no problem comment.

I could wait for a couple releases for a good driver but the issue seems I did not get any help and somebody is ignoring there is a bug in the driver.
nvuser07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:28 AM   #29
Keyper7

Just to complete nvuser07's post, another thing I want to mention is that nvidia seems to be showing more and more a "post your bug report so we can see how you screwed up our perfect drivers" attitude, followed by a "your bug report was generated in a full moon, so it's not valid" attitude. Might be just an impression, but I was quite disappointed at their null reaction at nvuser07's tests with the 09 module.
Keyper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:32 AM   #30
energyman76b

My PSU fried two mainboards. The first Sunday which was a 939DualSata2 holding an AMD X2 4600+ (dualcore), the second one a K7S8X holding an AMD Xp2000+ (singlecore). Until their death I had no problems with the latest nvidia drivers.

I bought a new mobo+cpu on tuesday:
Asrock Alive-NF5-esata2+ and an AMD X2 6000. Put in my Nvidia 6600. Booted, no problems with the latest drivers.

A friend of me, dual core intel cpu, latest drivers, no problems.

hm, dual core, no problems with nvidia drivers - what are we doing wrong?

Maybe, just maybe HP is not able to program a correct bios? How about downloading the firmwarekit.iso and see for yourself?
Old 10-03-07, 10:34 AM   #31
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

This particular problem has been reproduced and is being investigated.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 10:36 AM   #32
energyman76b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyper7
Just to complete nvuser07's post, another thing I want to mention is that nvidia seems to be showing more and more a "post your bug report so we can see how you screwed up our perfect drivers" attitude, followed by a "your bug report was generated in a full moon, so it's not valid" attitude. Might be just an impression, but I was quite disappointed at their null reaction at nvuser07's tests with the 09 module.
your impression is WRONG.

In fact, it goes like this:
somebody joins the forum and writes an insulting post because the driver does not work as expected

Somebody reminds him to read the sticky post.

He posts the output of nvidia-bug.sh which is worthless because he let it run without a) the nvidia driver loaded or b) with a different driver version that doesn't show the problem.

That has nothing to do with 'full moon' but user stupidity. And the more stupids are going online with ubuntu, the more stupid posts we have to endure here.

Old 10-03-07, 10:44 AM   #33
MikeC
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Thank you for the update. I know NVIDIA Driver Teams are doing the best they can with the resources they have available.
MikeC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 11:40 AM   #34
nvuser07

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Thank you very much. That is all I want to hear.
nvuser07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 11:46 AM   #35
Keyper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by energyman76b
your impression is WRONG.

In fact, it goes like this:
somebody joins the forum and writes an insulting post because the driver does not work as expected

Somebody reminds him to read the sticky post.

He posts the output of nvidia-bug.sh which is worthless because he let it run without a) the nvidia driver loaded or b) with a different driver version that doesn't show the problem.

That has nothing to do with 'full moon' but user stupidity. And the more stupids are going online with ubuntu, the more stupid posts we have to endure here.
The content and tone of your posts are exactly what I'm talking about.

While I do appreciate all the help the nVidia team is giving around here, sometimes I feel that their thoughts are too close of what you wrote: that the drivers are perfect and whenever a problem happens, it's the user's fault and there is a workaround that he didn't bothered to search for.

If I have the impression that they think like you, how can I believe that they care about fixing problems if they don't even believe that the problems exist in the first place?

The issue here, it seems, is that the nvidia representatives around here are so tired of replying to people who didn't bother to read the sticky posts (and I can totally understand that), that they're starting to flat-out ignore legitimate posts because they think a priori that it's yet another post in this case.

That said, I thank AaronP for the quick reply.

In short, just to clarify this and my previous post, I DO believe nvidia cares. I just have the impression that they are letting the so-called "stupid users" have too much influence over the way they treat ALL users and wanted to point them that.
Keyper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 11:59 AM   #36
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

I'd like to follow up on Aaron's update, since not all posts in this thread refer to the same hardware. We identified a regression between 100.14.09 and 100.14.11 specific to G72 based graphics cards (GeForce 7300 GS, etc.) on certain systems; this problem is being investigated. However, there are no known regressions between the two releases affecting G8x GPUs.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote