Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-03-07, 12:54 PM   #37
nvuser07

Default Re: Demand on WORKING drivers

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
I'd like to follow up on Aaron's update, since not all posts in this thread refer to the same hardware. We identified a regression between 100.14.09 and 100.14.11 specific to G72 based graphics cards (GeForce 7300 GS, etc.) on certain systems; this problem is being investigated. However, there are no known regressions between the two releases affecting G8x GPUs.
The regression is seen on my Geforce 7500 LE. It is a HP special, most would consider it in the same class of 7300. In case the fix is ID dependent, please do not forget to include 7500.

Thanks again.
nvuser07 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 01:31 PM   #38
NeoNecro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
This particular problem has been reproduced and is being investigated.
Thank you very mutch for this.
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 03:27 PM   #39
Keyper7

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
I'd like to follow up on Aaron's update, since not all posts in this thread refer to the same hardware. We identified a regression between 100.14.09 and 100.14.11 specific to G72 based graphics cards (GeForce 7300 GS, etc.) on certain systems; this problem is being investigated. However, there are no known regressions between the two releases affecting G8x GPUs.
Downgrading to 09 seemed to solve the freezes in my GeForce Go 6150 as well.

I'll downgrade again and let the computer run for a couple of days to be sure.
Keyper7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 04:04 PM   #40
ssam

this issue is being discussed at
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...22/+bug/145112
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.p...01#post3469701
ssam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-07, 09:12 PM   #41
erichj

Quote:
Originally Posted by uldgar
Let me ask you this:
When we buy one (or more) graphic cards from NVIDIA, aren't we supposed to be able to use them at full? Aren't we buying the right to have some very good graphics on our computers? Shouldn't we, Linux users, have the same performance than Windows or OSX users?
It says on the box compatible with Windows. You are entitled to a certain level of performance when running Windows or OS X. Stop your bitching an buy intel next time.
erichj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 12:07 AM   #42
uldgar

Hi again:

I'm surprised that some people on this post have such a conformist attitude on this problem.

They say: "oh, it doesn't work on Linux, well, buy another hardware..."

What's up people? I suppose everyone here in this board uses Linux, so, why do you say things like this? If that's how things were, we wouldn't have almost any kind of hardware support on Linux. Linux's been getting better because of those people that says "oh, it doesn't work? I'll find out how to make a driver." or "I'll ask my friend who's a programmer to make some driver" or "let's ask for a driver to the manufacturer" and so more things work. Please, let's contribute in making better our platform and not just avoiding that which doesn't work properly.

It's good that we're getting response from NVIDIA to fix these "G72 based" problems (and I thank them), but the main problem remains... and will remain until they release their specs to the open. Let's wait until the first ATI driver appears.

Cheers, and keep it cool men.
uldgar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:56 AM   #43
Dabljuh

Quote:
Originally Posted by uldgar
Let me ask you this:
When we buy one (or more) graphic cards from NVIDIA, aren't we supposed to be able to use them at full? Aren't we buying the right to have some very good graphics on our computers? Shouldn't we, Linux users, have the same performance than Windows or OSX users?
Because the alternatives are even worse. I'm the customer, not a loyal believer. I'll buy whatever works best. The day another card from whatever manufacturer delivers a better product (which is the COMBINATION of OS, driver and hardware) I will immediately switch to that as good as my wallet allows.

This means that if nVidia doesn't fix their act, I'll probably be buying something else soon.
Dabljuh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 05:46 AM   #44
Keyper7

Well, I guess the word is NOOOooo...

After so many optimistic hours, I just had a WAIT issue with 100.14.09...

So whatever's happening with me, the downgrade workaround does not work... Unless an even older version works, but I'll need some time to test.

Frankly, I'm starting to think my HP Pavilion DV6258se has the worst hardware ever. It's like the umpteenth time a workaround that works for other people does not work for me.

Freezes are being REMARKABLY rarer with 09, though. Anyways, since I've JUST had a freeze, perhaps a bug report might help.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (39.3 KB, 193 views)
Keyper7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-15-07, 06:36 AM   #45
NeoNecro

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
This particular problem has been reproduced and is being investigated.
Hello,

Can we have an update on this problem please? How is this going? Will the problem be solved in the next release of the nvidia driver and when is this?

I would like to help if you need to test some thing.
NeoNecro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 07:47 AM   #46
roshi

Unhappy Re: Demand on WORKING drivers

As someone said before, I'm sure that nvidia employees are giving their maximum considering the available resources.
The truth, in my opinion, is that even if all nvida+linux users changed for a ati that wouldn't make much difference.
You have to consider that probably we are less that 5% of all nvidia users, and that's an optimistic value.
So I believe that if money was the factor, then we would be in a bad position to say anything.

I also believe that if nvidia would release their drivers/specs things would go much better.
With the help of the community bugs would be corrected much faster.
That's because WE are suffering, therefore eager to get things working.
If things don't work our life can get complicated.
I have to work, I don't have time to worry about drivers.
And I need a GPU because that's what I do. I work with graphics.

Actually it's interesting to see that some people say that they have stability with some drivers.
I would like to know how?
For my old PIII/GeForce I tried all drivers and it never was stable.
Sometimes I would get a lock in less that one day, sometimes I would get almost a month of uptime.
But never better.
On my new laptop (with a 7400) I have tried drivers 96.*.* and the 100.14.* and I keep having the same problems.
Soft locks, for about 30 sec randomly.
Soft locks, but "forever" but you can recover the X if you restart it. (I'll tell you how)
And finally hard locks. This one less often but when it happens I really have to restart (reset) the pc.

Well at least I got really happy when I noticed that the black window bug was corrected.
I made me feel like there's still hope.
Things can be fixed.
Now you just need to fix the locks.

Or maybe let the community help.
roshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-07, 06:33 AM   #47
evil_core

I disabled Fast Writes in modprobe.conf
Code:
options nvidia NVreg_EnableAGPSBA=1 NVreg_EnableAGPFW=0
And chdanged it to False in xorg.conf
Code:
Option         "UseEvents" "False"
and now it seems to work stable, but performance is decreased. And i cant overclock that much my card, that i was able with previous drivers(500@644MHz GPU, 1400@1800MHz ).

I have Galaxy 7300GT with 128MB DDR3 AGP Zallman Edition.
evil_core is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-07, 09:44 PM   #48
Athena1988

Nothing has worked. I have tried every 100 series driver including the new beta version. I can reproduce this error every time by playing Enemy Territory Quake Wars(soon after deploying character for the first time), Quake IV(within two minutes), or Oblivion via wine(but this can take some time) although glxgears does not produce this error. Is nvidia working on this issue? Will it be fixed in the next stable version? This is extremely annoying and very frustrating. Attached is a new nvidia bug report. Can NVIDIA please fix this? I will provide anything else you need and will try any new fixes anyone else comes up with.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Q6600
MOBO: evga 680i SLI T1
GFX: XFX 8800 GTS 640
PSU: Corsair 600Watt
RAM: OCZ 2gig DDR2 1066
Distro: Gentoo x86_64 2007.0 ~amd64
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (142.6 KB, 122 views)
Athena1988 is offline   Reply With Quote