Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old 10-05-07, 02:37 PM   #25
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!
 
ENU291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,312
Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I even think it was a stupid move removing BC from the systems... I use mine often, its great playing PS2 titles at 1080p. One thing I don't understand is why it lacks BC, all the newest models of the PS3 use software emulation rather then hardware emulation. I can see the issue in Europe considering that even with hardware emulation they had compatiblity issue but if this is brought to the USA without BC it would be weird... theres no reason for such a change.

No one but Nv40 could defend such a retarded move...
Marvel_us explained that only the EE is emulated by software so the current software BC is a partial solution not a full solution. It's seems that now Sony has decided to remove ALL traces of any PS2 tech in the new PS3 sku. That in turn leaves the new PS3 with no ability to play PS2 games. PS1 games use a full software solution so they still work on the new PS3 sku (40GB).
__________________
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx


Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:41 PM   #26
|MaguS|
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
Marvel_us explained that only the EE is emulated by software so the current software BC is a partial solution not a full solution. It's seems that now Sony has decided to remove ALL traces of any PS2 tech in the new PS3 sku. That in turn leaves the new PS3 with no ability to play PS2 games. PS1 games use a full software solution so they still work on the new PS3 sku (40GB).
Many PS2 games did not use the GS, Alot of games we done with just the EE. Especially earlier titles.
  Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:45 PM   #27
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!
 
ENU291's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: New York, NY
Posts: 2,312
Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
Many PS2 games did not use the GS, Alot of games we done with just the EE. Especially earlier titles.
That might be true but by removing the GS recent games like the GoW series and the latest FF series are rendered unplayable on the new PS3 sku. Without supporting those games you really limit a decent portion of your fanbase (IMO of course).
__________________
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx


Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 02:47 PM   #28
S.I.N
UnRegistered User
 
S.I.N's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Location: All over
Posts: 1,761
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS|
I even think it was a stupid move removing BC from the systems... I use mine often, its great playing PS2 titles at 1080p. One thing I don't understand is why it lacks BC, all the newest models of the PS3 use software emulation rather then hardware emulation. I can see the issue in Europe considering that even with hardware emulation they had compatiblity issue but if this is brought to the USA without BC it would be weird... theres no reason for such a change.

No one but Nv40 could defend such a retarded move...
And me.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 03:01 PM   #29
npras42
Hi Everybody!
 
npras42's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2004
Location: Manchester, UK
Posts: 1,698
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

I have to admit this is a bit silly, but I don't think this would deter me from buying one of these. They're significantly cheaper and I have a PS2 anyway... It still has all the core features except the mem card add-on doesnt it? Sounds good to me.

The only thing I really don't get is that BC is all software now anyway, so what is it costing them to add it to ALL models??? Just sounds like they are trying to rip people off even more!
npras42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 03:20 PM   #30
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

i guess i should be glad to have 60gb ps3 with full backward compatibility.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 03:53 PM   #31
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord
 
Tygerwoody's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 8,934
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

this is very lame considering the best games you can play on the PS3 are PS2 games.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhog View Post
if tygerwoody says its bad, its bad.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 03:59 PM   #32
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger
 
Mr_LoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangor North Wales UK
Posts: 5,204
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Are there still games coming out for the original xbox?
__________________
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-05-07, 04:06 PM   #33
Lyme
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Posts: 2,682
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_LoL
Are there still games coming out for the original xbox?
I don't think so, however there is quite a large number of good games for the original xbox that I own and like to play. The BC list for the 360 is also still being worked on and growing, even if it is progressing slowly.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 04:10 PM   #34
nightmare beta
*BANNED*
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 332
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
All you Sony fanboys can spin it all you want. It IS retarded to remove BC.

Nobody wants to keep their old system around to play certain games, especially when Sony promised support.


What you are saying is, people should keep their old PC to play older games when they upgrade instead of expecting the new PC to able to play them. What if Microsoft come out next and said the new DX11 won't be able to play any games from DX10 or before? It would be called "pulling a Sony."
Microsoft practically has made it so dx10 doesn't play dx 5 and 6 games.

It would be "pulling a microsoft."

Microsoft removed backwards compatibility first in consoles also.

I think that not having any of the ps2 hw in the ps3 can potentially be fine.

however, a potential problem with that, is that only popular games are considered for emulation.

the cell can emulate just fine, it's just that every game needs to be emulated.

The issue with the x360's poor backwards compatibility is lack of effort, imo.
nightmare beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 04:21 PM   #35
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen
 
NaitoSan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 4,069
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare beta
Microsoft practically has made it so dx10 doesn't play dx 5 and 6 games.

It would be "pulling a microsoft."

Microsoft removed backwards compatibility first in consoles also.

I think that not having any of the ps2 hw in the ps3 can potentially be fine.

however, a potential problem with that, is that only popular games are considered for emulation.

the cell can emulate just fine, it's just that every game needs to be emulated.

The issue with the x360's poor backwards compatibility is lack of effort, imo.
Did you even read the article??? Sony stated "the new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles."

It seems there WILL not be any BC update on 40gb model. Also do you realize X360 is using different GPU than Xbox? Nvidia designed XBOX GPU "NV2A" and ATI designed X360's GPU "Xenos". Both GPUs shares alot of different technical features, etc. So, BC isn't automatically easy to do, and it takes them a while to add more games. Geez lay off with your Sony fanboy comments. Hell, even X360 core (lowest model) has BC support.
__________________
17-inch MacBook Pro: Unibody | Intel Core 2 T9800 @ 2.93GHz | Nvidia 9400M GT / 9600M GT 512MB GDDR3 | 320GB 7200RPM SATA | 4GB DDR3 PC1066 | Mac OS X v10.6 Snow Leopard | Windows 7 Professional x64

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 04:49 PM   #36
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger
 
Mr_LoL's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: Bangor North Wales UK
Posts: 5,204
Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Actually thinking about it the 60GB model will have BC, 2 games, an additional 2 usb ports, 20GB more hard drive space and card readers. I still think for 50 more the 60GB model is the better deal unless the 40GB comes with games or any extras.
__________________
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How do I play PS3 on my Sony Vaio while using HDMI cable? AbbieJohnson Archived News Items 0 06-18-12 05:04 AM
Rumor: Sony Cloud Deal Will Make PS3 Backwards Compatible, Stream PS2/PS1 games News Archived News Items 0 06-01-12 12:10 PM
Windows 2000 Compatibility util, post-sp3 PCarr78 Microsoft Windows XP And Vista 3 09-03-02 11:41 PM

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:40 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.1
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 1998 - 2014, nV News.