Whaaat?

Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Only ps2 games I would have time for is GTA's and got them on pc,
If you really need a PS2 emu so bad then get one for yer PC
Old 10-05-07, 06:08 PM   #38
XDanger
Whaaat?

Dont ps3's take standard 5400rpm laptop hdd's or some such?
50 would get you 160gb not even taking into acount the selling price of the 40gb drive
Old 10-05-07, 07:55 PM   #39
nightmare beta
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by NaitoSan
Did you even read the article??? Sony stated "the new model is no longer backwards compatible with PlayStation 2 titles, reflecting both the reduced emphasis placed on this feature amongst later purchasers of PS3, as well as the availability of a more extensive line-up of PS3 specific titles."

It seems there WILL not be any BC update on 40gb model. Also do you realize X360 is using different GPU than Xbox? Nvidia designed XBOX GPU "NV2A" and ATI designed X360's GPU "Xenos". Both GPUs shares alot of different technical features, etc. So, BC isn't automatically easy to do, and it takes them a while to add more games. Geez lay off with your Sony fanboy comments. Hell, even X360 core (lowest model) has BC support.
Why would they purposefully make only the 40GB model's bios/firmware or whatever disable the ability of the cell to emulate ps2 games, when the other models don't have the emulation feature disabled?

Yes, I knew that the xbox 2001 used a geforce3/4 derivative, and yes i knew that ati designed the piece of **** gpu for the piece of **** x360.

and yes, i'm a sony fanboy, with good reason, and no, it's not b/c i'm retarded, it's because sony doesn't try to trick people into buying an under-powered, over-priced defective-out-of the-box busted piece of **** like their competitor does.

i seriously feel sorry for anyone that thinks the x360 is better than the ps3. I often respect other peoples' opinions, but it's kind of hard to when the x360 is such a piece of ****. i ought to bust mine even more to a million pieces with a sledge hammer like that guy did to his macbook. The only problem is that i'd have a million fragments of **** to clean up.
nightmare beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 08:07 PM   #40
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by XDanger
Dont ps3's take standard 5400rpm laptop hdd's or some such?
50 would get you 160gb not even taking into acount the selling price of the 40gb drive
It takes any SATA Laptop HD.

As for the news... SCEE = Retards.
Old 10-05-07, 08:09 PM   #41
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

Its another year at least until the PS3 is a legitimate mass market product. Its still not ready, and Sony's house is out of order. Its a shame because they have two generations of amazing heritage to cash in on.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 08:30 PM   #42
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Just seen this: Good job Sony.
Quote:
"In the UK and Ireland, a Value Pack consisting of a 60GB PS3 with extensive backwards compatibility and two first party titles will be on sale at a price of 499 (349). Remaining on sale while stocks last, the 60GB model represents outstanding value for the keen gamer wishing to upgrade to the High Definition capabilities of PS3. Once stocks are exhausted the new 40GB model will be the only one available in the SCEE territories."
http://uk.playstation.com/ps3/news/a...r-seen-before/
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-07, 10:47 PM   #43
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare beta
Microsoft practically has made it so dx10 doesn't play dx 5 and 6 games.
DX10 doesn't play any previous DX games, that is why MS ships DX9 along side DX10.

Quote:
It would be "pulling a microsoft."

Microsoft removed backwards compatibility first in consoles also.

I think that not having any of the ps2 hw in the ps3 can potentially be fine.

however, a potential problem with that, is that only popular games are considered for emulation.

the cell can emulate just fine, it's just that every game needs to be emulated.

The issue with the x360's poor backwards compatibility is lack of effort, imo.
In this case MS has put some effort into BC, while Sony has done none for the new PS3s.

Quote:
Why would they purposefully make only the 40GB model's bios/firmware or whatever disable the ability of the cell to emulate ps2 games, when the other models don't have the emulation feature disabled?
Because Sony doesn't want people buying/playing PS2 games, and this forces new PS3 owners to only play PS3 games.

Quote:
Yes, I knew that the xbox 2001 used a geforce3/4 derivative, and yes i knew that ati designed the piece of **** gpu for the piece of **** x360.
And exactly how is the 360 gpu disapointing?

Quote:
and yes, i'm a sony fanboy, with good reason, and no, it's not b/c i'm retarded, it's because sony doesn't try to trick people into buying an under-powered, over-priced defective-out-of the-box busted piece of **** like their competitor does.
I don't believe you, prove me wrong http://web.tickle.com/tests/uiqflash/

Quote:
i seriously feel sorry for anyone that thinks the x360 is better than the ps3. I often respect other peoples' opinions, but it's kind of hard to when the x360 is such a piece of ****. i ought to bust mine even more to a million pieces with a sledge hammer like that guy did to his macbook. The only problem is that i'd have a million fragments of **** to clean up.
I haven't seen you do that even once on these boards.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 12:22 AM   #44
Xav
Professional NV Lurker

Quote:
Microsoft practically has made it so dx10 doesn't play dx 5 and 6 games.

It would be "pulling a microsoft."

Microsoft removed backwards compatibility first in consoles also.

I think that not having any of the ps2 hw in the ps3 can potentially be fine.

however, a potential problem with that, is that only popular games are considered for emulation.

the cell can emulate just fine, it's just that every game needs to be emulated.

The issue with the x360's poor backwards compatibility is lack of effort, imo.
Did you take a hit off your bong before you posted that? 90% of it looked like you pulled it outta your...I'll be nice.

I swear I think you are a genious...honestly. I don't believe you can possibly, genuinely, think the way you post.

You HAVE to be doing it for kicks and sitting back laughing at everyone getting all bent outta shape over it.

System II: C2D E8400 || Gigabyte GA-EP35 || 2GB Gskill DDR2 1066 || XFX GTX 260 Black Edition || Audigy 2 || Corsair TX650 || Klipsch PM 2.1 || Gateway 2185W LCD

Consoles: 360/PS3
Xav is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-06-07, 01:47 AM   #45
LycosV

This isn't a smart move by Sony, especially if what Mr_Lol said about it being the only unit availible in that market once the old ones are sold out. That basically eliminates one of the key features of the PS3. They're already selling poorly, dropping features isn't the way to sell more.
LycosV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 07:50 AM   #46
sytaylor
Cerebral Barbarian

So once the value pack is gone, europe looses all backward compatibility in the PS3?... Wow.
Yuraku 24" Widescreen monitor

It saddens me that I need the following to post here:

Disclaimer: Any views expressed in the above post under the psuedonym "sytaylor" are entirely subjective and do not reflect the views of any business, company or entity associated with Simon Taylor. The use, copying of or editing of any materials within this post for professional purposes without written permission is stricly prohibitted under the UK Right of Privacy as provided in the Human Rights Act 1998 and the European Convention on Human Rights: Article 10 ECHR. Any attempt to use the information herin shall be subject to the Data Protection Act and Freedom of Information act, with damages being saught for defamation. This disclaimer applies to all text, images or media on this domain.

You have been warned.
My Blog
sytaylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 08:27 AM   #47
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by sytaylor
So once the value pack is gone, europe looses all backward compatibility in the PS3?... Wow.
Correct and nightmare beta you need to tone it down. How many times do you have to be warned about spouting nonsense on this board?
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
ENU291 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-07, 10:38 AM   #48
Mr_LoL
Bush's Doppleganger

Its just mistake after mistake with the PS3 isn't it.
Core i5 2500K@ 4.5, KFA2 GTX 570, Gigabyte Z68, 8GB Corsair XMS 1600MHZ, Antec Truepower New 650w, Coolermaster Storm Sniper, 1TB Samsung F1, Yamakasi Catleap 27", Samsung 245B, Asus Xonar DG...blah blah blah
Mr_LoL is offline   Reply With Quote