Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central > Console World

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-06-07, 10:44 PM   #61
Marvel_us
FOOL!

Default Re: 40GB PS3 - NO BACKWARDS COMPATIBILITY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
Yeah, I'm hearing mixed on this. In the current PS2 the EE and GS are both on the same chip, and as far as I know that was the case with the PS3 as well. So if they removed the PS2 hardware from the PS3, I'd assume both the EE and GS were pulled out because they had been combined on the same chip, which would lead me to believe that the current Euro PS3s didn't have any PS2 hardware in them.
That's not correct. Check out some pics of the boards.

This is the original US 60gb the EE+GS chip.

This is the Euro PS3. You can see the GS chip is there.

Quote:
Finally the newly revised Playstation 3 model has reached the shores of Europe, but the revision turned out very differently from what everyone expected. When Sony first announced its plans to cut the Emotion Engine (EE) from European units, everyone expected that the Graphics Synthesizer (GS) would be connected to PS3’s southbridge with an eye towards eventual integration of the two components. However, this is not the case.

As can be seen from the main board pictures (New Mainboard pictures from HW Upgrade, Old Mainboard pictures from Watch Impress), the GS is not connected to the southbridge, but placed between the Reality Synthesizer (RSX) and its connections to the HDMI transmitter by Silicon Image and a Sony in house chip called CXM*02*R. As expected, the 32 MB RD RAM chips, legacy of the PS2, have been removed as well. This new setup enabled Sony to cut the CXD9208GP chip, which previously connected the EE+GS chip to the CXM*02*R and the RSX. It still remains unclear whether RSX’s changed serial numbers (from CXD2971GB to CXD2971DGB) are caused by these changes. Moreover, the purpose of the CXM*02*R chip is still unknown.
http://www.beyond3d.com/content/news/151

60gb PS3 Owner
PSNid: Marvel_us
Marvel_us is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 10:29 AM   #62
Lyme

Software emulation is difficult to do at the best of times, when you run into substantially different hardware designs like the ps2 it becomes increasingly so. Of course to put the icing on the cake, the PS3 isn't a typical hardware design and would require some interesting coding to run the emulator with any efficiency.
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 12:28 PM   #63
nightmare beta
*BANNED*

some games were being emulated 100% on the euro ps3 since some didn't originally use the gs, assuming that magus is correct, which i'm sure he is.
nightmare beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 01:57 PM   #64
Lyme

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightmare beta
some games were being emulated 100% on the euro ps3 since some didn't originally use the gs, assuming that magus is correct, which i'm sure he is.
Right, so why did Sony disable backward compatibility then?
Lyme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 02:42 PM   #65
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyme
Right, so why did Sony disable backward compatibility then?
Im guessing because very few games don't use the GS, mainly the earlier titles didn't. Im guessing that whenever they do figure out how to do software emulation that it can be added through a download. Hopefully Sony of Japan will correct this **** up by SCEE. For some reason SCEE loves ****ing over there Euro fanbase.
Old 10-07-07, 04:13 PM   #66
nightmare beta
*BANNED*

I've always thought it has been unusual that europe is treated the worst by sony, yet they support sony the most.

on the other hand, microsoft treats them and everyone else worse than sony does, so it's all relative.
nightmare beta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 05:31 PM   #67
Sabadin

Quote:
I've always thought it has been unusual that europe is treated the worst by sony, yet they support sony the most.
Why spend the money on a proper shishkabob when the customers will happily pay the same price for a turd on a stick?

If they let you stick it to em, just keep doing it and enjoy better profit margins in the region.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-07, 10:55 PM   #68
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

I still don't see what all the fuss is about. If you want to play the PS2 back catalog just get the $499 model or buy a PS2. This to me is geared towards those that just want a PS3 for upcoming games like MGS4 and GT5 aswell as a many of the same next-gen games that are on 360. BC doesn't matter to them or they already have a PS2 and have already played every gamed they wanted to. This is a amazing deal for anyone that has wanted a PS3 for its upcoming games and BluRay player. If I had waited I would have got this as I have a PS2 and moreover I cant think of any game on it I plan or want to revisit.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 10-07-07, 11:18 PM   #69
crainger

Send a message via AIM to crainger

Quote:
Originally Posted by S.I.N
I still don't see what all the fuss is about. If you want to play the PS2 back catalog just get the $499 model or buy a PS2. This to me is geared towards those that just want a PS3 for upcoming games like MGS4 and GT5 aswell as a many of the same next-gen games that are on 360. BC doesn't matter to them or they already have a PS2 and have already played every gamed they wanted to. This is a amazing deal for anyone that has wanted a PS3 for its upcoming games and BluRay player. If I had waited I would have got this as I have a PS2 and moreover I cant think of any game on it I plan or want to revisit.
Don't you know about THE unwritten law that says you HAVE to throw out your old console?

I agree. I wanted to play PS2 games so I have the 60gb model.

EDIT: Butter Bandit below has a point regarding upscaling of PS2 games.
crainger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 01:08 AM   #70
S.I.N
UnRegistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
I understand that view, BUT the BC is really nice to have. I tossed out my PS2 because it just can't compete with the upscaling/smoothing offered by the PS3 on PS2 games. My PS2 looked like crap on my HDTV.

But this is definitely a good deal if you don't care about BC, but there are SOOO many good PS2 titles out there that if you didn't/don't own a PS2, you should definitely get a PS3 with BC.
Sounds great and I see what you are saying but upscaling/smoothing etc is really a non-factor for someone like me who has played pretty much every PS2 game I wanted to or don't plan of revisiting any. I really cant think of one PS2 game I want to replay and again many could give a damn about the PS2 catalog as big and expansive as it is. Some are just looking towards the future and PS3 at $399 is a steal.

Also being that its software based who is to say there wont be a update for free or that you can buy to get BC? And if anything you have to look at the business sense of it all. They do need to make money and I cant think of a 60GB or 80GB sku with all the same features of the 40GB selling all that much if at all for $499. BC is the main difference between the varies models which don't impact PS3 games or the system at all so its a trade of thats kind of worth it to them as it will get people to buy the other models while having a system the same price as the competition.

Regardless now the crying is Sony is taking out features when just a few weeks ago it was crying over being forced to buy and adopt to things like BluRay which they don't want.
S.I.N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 01:35 AM   #71
NaitoSan
Student @ DigiPen

Quote:
on the other hand, I treat them and everyone else worse than sony or microsoft do, so it's all relative.
fixed

Desktop: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P5K Deluxe/WiFi-AP | 4GB G.Skill F2-6400PHU1 @ 800MHz 4-4-3-5 | EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB | Western Digital Raptor X 150GB | Samsung 32" HDTV | Windows 7 Professional x64

Note: English is my second language so please bear with my grammar!
NaitoSan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-07, 01:44 AM   #72
Saintster

wanna play friggin ps 2 games then go buy a ps2.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote