Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-24-03, 11:29 AM   #25
Zimm

Default 5800 Ultra problems?

First off, I want mail!! Nice can of worms you opened there

Second, I just bought a new system (wanted the warrenty) specs are:

P4 2.8ghz
ASUS MB (Don't have the model in front of me)
512 DDR
eVGA GforceFX 5800 Ultra
Western Digital 80G Ultra HD
400 watt case
3Dmark 03 score 5864

Now when playing my games I of course have no problems except for AC2, but I think it's their code rather then my card. But my system seems choppy after playing my games, and honesly I think my 03 score is low for this system, any thoughts?
Old 04-24-03, 02:42 PM   #26
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

that score doesnt seem low. 3dmark 2k3 is mainly a video card benchie, and you score about 300 more points than me
Old 04-24-03, 03:37 PM   #27
bkswaney
Mr. Extreme!

Send a message via Yahoo to bkswaney
Default Re: 5800 Ultra problems?

Quote:
Originally posted by Zimm
First off, I want mail!! Nice can of worms you opened there

Second, I just bought a new system (wanted the warrenty) specs are:

P4 2.8ghz
ASUS MB (Don't have the model in front of me)
512 DDR
eVGA GforceFX 5800 Ultra
Western Digital 80G Ultra HD
400 watt case
3Dmark 03 score 5864

Now when playing my games I of course have no problems except for AC2, but I think it's their code rather then my card. But my system seems choppy after playing my games, and honesly I think my 03 score is low for this system, any thoughts?
Your score seems good to me.
Choppy?
15.6 inch HD WideScreen
Nvidia 8200M-G 895mb
2Gig system ram
250Gig SATA 5400rpm HDrive
Vista Premium
bkswaney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-03, 08:50 AM   #28
Zimm

Default Ehh

Thank you for the replies, I am a newbie to this whole 03 score, but when comparing online it looking like there were a lot slower machines wooping me! But I will take your word for it and not worry about it.

What I ment by choppy is that when I leave a game, when you move the mouse it jutters across the screen, and there is lag when running any windows apps, but....

I think this is also associated to AC2 and I just didn't realize it, it appears AC2 has a memory leak....

Anywho thanks for the response!!
Old 04-25-03, 09:54 AM   #29
SurfMonkey
QuadCore G80 PS3 Overload

Location: In a small room surrounded by vast, inscrutable, machines...

Can somebody run 3DMark03 with their FX5800 running at 300\600? Just want to get a ball park figure.

"Halflife2 got halfway around the world before Gabe had a chance to get his pants on."
Anon
SurfMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-03, 01:49 AM   #30
threedaysdwn

Send a message via AIM to threedaysdwn

Zimm, how well does AC2 run on the FX?

I have a Radeon 9700 Pro and it's driving me crazy.

Some of my biggest gripes are the problems in AC2... specifically, Pixel Shaders cause all sorts of visual artifacts that get worse over time. Shadows cause horrible lagging.
And the cat 3.3 betas crash after about 30 seconds in game (3.2s crash less often, and 3.0s the least.... funny how that works).

I'm considering the move to a 5800U if I can find one, after reading of BK's satisfaction with the card.

So what problems have you had with AC2? It *is* a system resource hog... but I'm okay with that
No memory leaks in the game (any more) as far as I can tell.
New! Compy 8.0 - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.0Ghz - EVGA Nvidia nForce 680 - 4GB DDR800 - 2x WD Raptor 10,000RPM 74GB in RAID 0 - 2x 300GB 7200RPM local storage - Geforce 8800 GTX 768MB - HP 23" Widescreen
threedaysdwn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 05:56 AM   #31
Rampant CL
Lurking like a pro

Hey guys, i have a bit of a problem.

I just bought an MSI FX 5800, new mobo and ram, and installed it all yesterday.

The only problem is anytime i try to run a 3d app or game it begins as normal and then freezes the system. If i press any key it just reboots the system. I think it could be because i ahve a 300W PSU, but until i can replace it tonight i would appreciate any ideas you may have.
Rampant CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-03, 10:29 AM   #32
Kain

Quote:
Originally posted by Rampant CL
Hey guys, i have a bit of a problem.

I just bought an MSI FX 5800, new mobo and ram, and installed it all yesterday.

The only problem is anytime i try to run a 3d app or game it begins as normal and then freezes the system. If i press any key it just reboots the system. I think it could be because i ahve a 300W PSU, but until i can replace it tonight i would appreciate any ideas you may have.
Check your VIO voltage. Make sure it is set at 3.4v or above.
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-27-03, 07:58 PM   #33
quik_2_win

I've been toying with my PNY FX 5800 Ultra for about three weeks now, and have been generally impressed with the card. As we all know- the hardware itself is extremely high quality. I'm not really thrilled with the current 43.45 driver, however. Hopefully 'N' will release an improved version soon-
quik_2_win is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 12:23 AM   #34
Rampant CL
Lurking like a pro

Where could i change the VIO voltage in the bios, i havethe GA-7VAXP-A Ultra and i cannot recall seeing that anywhere.

An update tho,

I tried it with a 400W PSU, no difference.

I redid DX 9, mobo drivers, graphics and suddenly it started working fine on 4x.

On 8x however, there is massive flickering on screen, artificing, distortions, partial rendering on models, invisible parts of models, etc. Make anything of this news?
Rampant CL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-03, 01:44 PM   #35
ricercar
fugue master

Quote:
Originally posted by SurfMonkey
Can somebody run 3DMark03 with their FX5800 running at 300\600?
PNY GeForce FX 5800 Ultra @ 300/600
3DMark03 = 5,949
http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=542319

I'm trying to tweak for that magical 6,000, but my best attempts are resisted so far.
Old 04-28-03, 02:56 PM   #36
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Default My FX 5800U initial impressions

Now that I have my Gainward FX 5800 Ultra up and running, I thought I'd give some of my initial thoughts on this card. I bought the FX because it's an anomaly and something that not everyone will have the opportunity to own.

Having gone from an R300-based card to this, I think I can make some good comparisons.

Let's start with 2D/Desktop quality. The FX is brighter than any NVIDIA card I've previously owned (TNT, GF2 MX, GF2 Ultra, GF3, GF4 Ti4600). As a matter of fact, I had to turn down the brightness of my monitor. That, plus a small bump of the digital vibrance slider has my desktop looking better than it did with my Radeon. 2D clarity for text is about the same from both cards.

3D image quality - using the 43.51 drivers, the control panel defaults to Quality. I tested games using all three methods and anything other than the Quality setting looks like a$$, plain and simple. Textures on performance and balanced look horrid. But using Quality, IQ is quite good. 4xAA and 8xAF on the FX in Quake 3 with Trilinear filtering looks about the same as 4xAA and 8x quality AF on the Radeon. Same deal with UT2003. Image quality is excellent on both cards, and differences are imperceptible to me.

3D performance - The 128-bit bus of the NV30 is a handicap when compared to my Radeon. In the course of playing UT2003 on my Radeon, my framerates were higher overall, using 1280x1024 w/4xAA and 8x performance aniso. On a side note, though, S3TC/OpenGL in the original Unreal Tournament works on the FX, unlike on the Radeon. The Radeon would give me flashing textures and other anomalies that the FX does not exhibit. It did work fine in Direct3D, though. But with OpenGL on the FX, I'm averaging a steady 100 fps at 1280x1024 with 4xAA and 8x aniso so that makes me happy.

Loudness - this is a bit of a sore spot. In 2D work, I don't even notice the fan. But for games, this sucker is loud. And it's not a loudness I would call pleasant either. I can tolerate it, but I'm not exactly what you'd call happy with it.

IMO, the FX isn't a bad card. It's just not an R300-beater/killer by any stretch. Good choice for the loyal NVIDIA fan, not so good for everyone else. If you want to spend the money on it, feel free. But there are better choices out there. I'm not going to get rid of my FX, though. I think it's kind of campy - something that not everyone will be able to have.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote