Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-06-03, 12:37 PM   #1
BB NVPR

Default "Flickering", "Quivering" and "rolling lines"--NVIDIA needs your help.

We have become aware that both NVIDIA and competitor’s cards are experiencing similar problems that are described as “flickering”, “rolling lines” or “quivering” in different forum posts. Here are a couple of examples:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...threadid=15467

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...0&pagenumber=1

NVIDIA has been investigating these problems; we are having a difficult time reproducing the issue. We are under the impression it is a noise issue, not a graphics card issue and is system specific.

In an effort to find a solution, we ask that anyone in the Bay area who is experiencing this issue on an NVIDIA GPU and would like to visit NVIDIA with the system in tow contact us. We can use the system to identify the problem and see if we can resolve the issue. You will be doing a favor to NVIDIA and a service to the community. We will also make sure you leave with an arm full of NVIDIA swag!

First come first served! We can not look at every system in the Bay area, sorry.
Contact bburke@nvidia.com.
Old 08-06-03, 12:47 PM   #2
indio

Now this is what I call tech support!
indio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 12:57 PM   #3
BladeRunner
BFG 7800 GTX SLI

Nice to see it is being taking seriously by nvidia and I hope a solution can be found. While we are on the subject what happened about the Geforce 2 Ultra rolling lines issue?, did nvidia ever solve that?. I have a 5900 U but haven't noticed the current problem on mine, but it's not useable at the min to check thourghly. I did have a Creative GF2 U, (not my card), with bad rolling lines, and tried many things to fix it without success, including different systems / locations, even generator power rather than mains.
Old 08-06-03, 12:57 PM   #4
Mark_fox
www.Warp2Search.net

wow...I'm shocked!!! NVIDIA PR officially posting in the forums, someone please take a picture of this quick!

Well done for doing this anyway, I had this same problem on Radeon 9700Pro and ATi came up with 1001 reasons why this was happening but none of these were their fault but suprise suprise - I upgraded to MSI Geforce FX 5900 and the problem is gone so it was their hardware all along...

I hope the solution can be found, at least for nvidia cards...good luck!
Mark_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 01:05 PM   #5
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

Now that would be SWEET. A trip to NVIDIA. If i fly into the bay area can I get a tour. Maybe a little NVIDIA Swag to go with the tour. I would pay for plane tickets if I knew they would give me the tour

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD

System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 01:20 PM   #6
volt

Glad you could pop in Brian.

I have a few questions though, mainly about how NVIDIA tried to reproduce the problem, and an overall analysis.

1. Which versions of NV35s did you guys test, and how many different AICs were ran through the test.

2. How many persons actually looked at the screen? The reason I'm asking is that not everyone can spot the difference. It is best to watch the screen from around 1 meter away.

3. How many different types of motherboards / HD's etc. were used? None of us have the same exact systems, so potential System specific problem is out of the question.

4. Were small apps such as D3DAFTester used in the investigation? You can notice the screen flicker only when you move the mouse.

By the way, anyone found offending and/or flaming NVIDIA PR, either here or via e-mail will be automatically banned. Be aware
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]
volt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 01:54 PM   #7
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
You can notice the screen flicker only when you move the mouse.
On my nVidia 5900 Ultra review sample (the long pre prod pcb) I get the flickering all the time.
It looks like the gamma is changing values from say -1 to 0 to 1 then back to 0 then -1 and reapeat.
It changes every 2-20 seconds.

It mostly just happens in 2d but in 3d too though the "intervals" seem longer.

I also get strange noise whenever I use my mousewheel. (as in the computer makes sounds, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the noise comes from the speakers, monitor, videocard or some other component).
I had similar problems when I ran a VIA + SoundBlaster combo a few years ago. At that time I fixed the problem with a third party patch for VIAs drivers supposed to fix some latency problems IIRC.

Though as I've mentioned in other threads. From my experience this ONLY happens to the ones with the nVidia reference design.
Boards I've tested built on custom PCBs (tried Gainward, ABIT and Inno3D as of yet) haven't had these problems.

I wasn't aware that ATi were also effected, does anyone know which boards?
Edit: forgive me I'm an idiot. Just saw Brians link to Rage3D.

Last edited by AnteP; 08-06-03 at 02:04 PM.
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 01:59 PM   #8
volt

Quote:
Originally posted by AnteP I also get strange noise whenever I use my mousewheel. (as in the computer makes sounds, but I'm having a hard time figuring out if the noise comes from the speakers, monitor, videocard or some other component).
I had similar problems when I ran a VIA + SoundBlaster combo a few years ago. At that time I fixed the problem with a third party patch for VIAs drivers supposed to fix some latency problems IIRC.
I have also reported "noise" annoyance to Brian. I'm kind of mixed up though. I have a Prolink FX 5900 which is supposed to be custom made PCB. Could be an early NVIDIA revision with yellow paint slapped on
[b]Optimization guidelines by Koji Ashida of NVIDIA:[/b][list][*]Use fx12 instructions whenever possible[*]Use lowest pixel shader version[/list][url=http://developer.nvidia.com/docs/IO/10878/ChinaJoy2004_OptimizationAndTools.pdf]source[/url]

[size=1]The politics are invading the technology. We don't really like to mess with politics because that kind of adversarial relationship has nothing to do with pure technical operations and the technical specifications of what we like to play with, the hardware![/size]

Old 08-06-03, 02:01 PM   #9
Mark_fox
www.Warp2Search.net

Just to add to that AnteP post (see above) - my FX5900 non ultra from MSI does not experience the rolling lines problem - even though my Radeon 9700Pro on exact same system and monitor and resolution and refresh rate, etc etc etc did - I find that quite weird (since ATI claims no resposibility for the problem).

But...I do get the strange noise when using the wheel on mouse and scrolling up/down...any1 come up with reason & solution for this?
Mark_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 02:02 PM   #10
AnteP
Nordic Nerd

Send a message via ICQ to AnteP

Quote:
Originally posted by volt
I have also reported "noise" annoyance to Brian. I'm kind of mixed up though. I have a Prolink FX 5900 which is supposed to be custom made PCB. Could be an early NVIDIA revision with yellow paint slapped on
Actually that doesn't have to be too far fetched.
Hercules "custom" PCB is actually just the same PCB as every other 9800 uses, they just made it blue.

I did a side by side compare and they have all the same components, circuirty etc.
AnteP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-03, 02:04 PM   #11
volt

A note: The noise is not always produced when using the wheel-mouse. It only happened to me with two programs: Outlook Express and the other one I forgot hah.

Old 08-06-03, 02:05 PM   #12
Reaper106
Metal Maniac

I think it is real cool to talk with someone from NVIDIA so no flaming here volt. Ya ok im a fan boy. Gotta love the NV

System 1
RAIDMAX SMILODON Case |ThermalTake 700WToughPower PS | ASUS P5N32-E SLI | INTEL Core 2 Duo E6600 | Corsair 2GB XMS2 PC6400 | Ge-Force 8800GTX | Creative Labs X-FI |Sony 16X DVD | Pioneer DVR112D 18X DVD Burner | Western Digital 320GB SATA II HDD | LogiTech z-5500 5.1 Speakers | NEC multisync LCD 1970GX | SaiteK Eclipse II keyboard | Windows Vista Premium 32Bit | APC 1500VA back-UPS BX1500LCD

System 2
NZXT Black Nemesis Elite Aluminium Tower|Antec 550W PS|ASUS A8N-SLI Premium|AMD ATHLON 64 X2 4400+|2GB Corsair PC3200 XMS 2x1024|EVGA 7800GTX|Creative Labs X-FI|Hitachi 160GB Hdd SATA|Sony 16x DVD|Pioneer DVR110 16X DVD+R/+RW DVD-R/-RW Dual Layer|WinXP Pro 32Bit|APC 1500VA BACK-UPS 1500XS
Reaper106 is offline   Reply With Quote